Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2021, 04:39 PM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, but can you get it out of ‘Kids mode?”
You (as the "parent") can add any books you want, but I have no idea how much hassle it'll be.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:41 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
tube: I don't think the kids cover is the same, I don't think it's the water safe fabric. But it is AD-FREE which saves the $20 right there, makes the cover free!
Thanks, I forgot about that feature. I went back and added it
Advert
Old 09-21-2021, 04:47 PM   #33
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Absolutely! You’d be nuts not to. Seriously. In any case, how else will you use the 20%?

I don’t know when or if Amazon changed its policy, but in my experience, it used to be that if you started a trade-in on a device it knew you owned, they’d give the discount right away. Lately, however, it seems as if they withhold the discount until they get the device, and if you wanted to capitalize on a sale price, you were SOL. So certainly if you’re ordering at the list price anyway, there’s no cost to waiting until you’ve got the discount.

People who are hoping for a discount on Black Friday might keep this in mind, depending on their own experiences. Initiate a trade-in far enough in advance that it’ll hit your account by Black Friday. The risk is that if there’s no discount, you’ll have to use your 20% or lose it.
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it would be applied after the order was placed, since the order was not shipped. But I cancelled it. No real need to hurry. Plus I'm thinking of getting the Kids Edition with the free cover.

I'm trading in a Kindle Touch! I have the lighted cover. Is there any harm in including it with the device?

Last edited by booklover6; 09-21-2021 at 04:50 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:02 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'm trading in a Kindle Touch! I have the lighted cover. Is there any harm in including it with the device?
If it was me I would sell the lighted cover on eBay instead. You can get about $20 to $30 for these.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-21-2021 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Clarification
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:13 PM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Just a reminder. Before making any major purchases on Amazon, consider ordering on or after 01 Oct in order to qualify for the extended holiday returns. Since these Kindles won't be released until 27 Oct, they already qualify for the extended returns.

Amazon Extended Holiday Returns Policy - Holiday 2021

Quote:
The Amazon Extended Holiday Returns Policy for 2021 requires that most of the items purchased between October 1, 2021, and December 31, 2021, be eligible for return through January 31, 2022. This is an annual, temporary extension of the standard return window.

Although the return window for most orders is extended, return eligibility for all orders remain the same. You can see return eligibility for each category on our Returns Help page
Advert
Old 09-21-2021, 05:19 PM   #36
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If it was me I would sell it on eBay instead. You can get about $20 to $30 for these.
But no 20% towards a new one, which is perhaps more significant.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:37 PM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
But no 20% towards a new one, which is perhaps more significant.
I meant, just sell the lighted cover on eBay — not the Touch, which can still be traded in for the 20%, plus whatever they value it at. I doubt Amazon will give you any more for the trade-in if you include the lighted cover (though they probably will sell it). So the $20 to $30 would be in addition to the trade-in at Amazon. This cover is probably worth more than the Kindle Touch at this point.

(I've edited the my original post to make this clearer.)

Last edited by rcentros; 09-21-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #38
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
With a wireless charger, Amazon could dump the USB socket altogether. This would make a water proof device possible.
without a wired connection, you would not be able to easily side-load.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:38 PM   #39
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I meant, just sell the lighted cover on eBay — not the Touch, which can still be traded in for the 20%, plus whatever they value it at. I doubt Amazon will give you any more for the trade-in if you include the lighted cover (though they probably will sell it). So the $20 to $30 would be in addition to the trade-in at Amazon. This cover is probably worth more than the Kindle Touch at this point.

(I've edited the my original post to make this clearer.)
Ah, sure.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:21 PM   #40
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I just want to say how happy I am that ereaders have finally entered into the USB-C era. I also noticed that there's only one regular version on Amazon.ca for $149 and nothing about ad-supported readers so it looks like Canadians might be getting a bit of a deal here.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:03 AM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I just want to say how happy I am that ereaders have finally entered into the USB-C era. I also noticed that there's only one regular version on Amazon.ca for $149 and nothing about ad-supported readers so it looks like Canadians might be getting a bit of a deal here.
That's true. I didn't think of that. So really, for the same the product, in the U.S. it's $160 U.S. dollars, in Canada it's $150 in Canadian dollars (which, at current exchange rates, would be $117 in U.S. dollars).

In Great Britain, on the other hand, they're paying 129 pounds which works out to $176 in U.S. dollars. (The last time I bought something from England the exchange rate was, I think, around 2 dollars to a pound? When did it drop to $1.37?)
Old 09-22-2021, 02:26 AM   #42
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
That's true. I didn't think of that. So really, for the same the product, in the U.S. it's $160 U.S. dollars, in Canada it's $150 in Canadian dollars (which, at current exchange rates, would be $117 in U.S. dollars).

In Great Britain, on the other hand, they're paying 129 pounds which works out to $176 in U.S. dollars. (The last time I bought something from England the exchange rate was, I think, around 2 dollars to a pound? When did it drop to $1.37?)
Amazon.com.au has the base model new PW at $239AUD, about $167 US. Oddly, the same site offers it to NZ in both ad-supported and ad-free versions, with the ad-free version at $233NZ - less than than the AU price and about $160 US.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:38 AM   #43
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Charging Dock extra... How do you charge it with out a dock?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:48 AM   #44
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
There are people who already have something like that.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:16 AM   #45
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
It also has a USB C connector. There is no way they would sell a device without a way to charge it. The option to use a dock is a bonus on the signature....
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote