Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #46
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
That seems pretty unlikely, given NT 4 was supported until 2001.
I think it was supported longer than that, but Supported <> Secure. You need security expertise and probably a firewall appliance too to EVER connect ANY OS direct to the Internet, even if it's not configured as a server.

It's totally true. We used firewalls and disabled a lot of services. We cleaned up a lot of other people's messes too.

It still true. IoT and Security cameras are notorious now. The uPNP should NEVER have been on any firewall. Plug and Play IoT and Cameras etc that automatically open inward ports on your firewall / router and have default passwords or are insecure are rife. Servers not so much as Public facing servers are either rented hosting or only now set up by IT experts, though there are exceptions.

No Windows SINCE NT 4.0 is really any better for Internet facing security out of the box and some were worse.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #47
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
Yep I actually went and bought my first Kindle. It's a pity because I've had virtually every Nook they made, and considered B&N the Avis, We Try Harder contender. (Or am I dating myself here?)

But Nook just couldn't keep up. It seems they were running on fumes for a while. But I think they still have a sentimental commitment to the business -- they can't be making any money on it.

And I really feel guilty to actually use a Kindle, but technically, they even beat Kobo (well at least for a few esoteric functions).
Anybody else looking to jump to the "dark side", BEST BUY has Prime day prices on the Paperwhite today/tomorrow. That's $80. The $50 discount might assuage the guilt.

Other models, too:

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-buy-h...asis-and-more/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #48
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you happen to be an author, one of my acquaintance is still unable to upload a new book from the author dashboard since it is still unavailable. B&N has assured him that it will be fixed by the end of day on Friday (2020-Oct-23). He's wondering if it is worthwhile since B&N is far behind Kobo never mind Amazon in terms of his book sales.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #49
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Upload to Smashwords and they distribute to most sellers except Amazon and Google. I've had Apple, Tolino, Kobo and Barnes & Noble (Nook) sales via Smashwords. We sell about x2 as much on Amazon as Smashwords, so obviously using both makes sense, despite in general Amazon has about 90% of ebook sales.
Google Playstore/Google Books hardly seems worth uploading to, except it's free and more advertising? No Google Sales in 5 years!

But I think Barnes & Noble hasn't yet figured how to sell paper and ebooks, despite that Amazon has done so for years.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #50
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
B&N still not right. Took days for the books to show on my older nook
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert