Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2020, 07:48 PM   #16
Lizj1
Enthusiast
Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, Kindle 3, Kobo H20, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That is data you get from the factory, not from letting another company beat you to market.
I can't let that go by. It is absolutely a valid strategy to wait for yields to improve and prices (of the sceens) to go down. And the factory cannot tell you anything valid about how products containing the screens will sell.

(Having worked for a lifetime in consumer electronics manufacturing)

Liz
Lizj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:39 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1

Last edited by Nate the great; 08-11-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2020, 09:56 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I wonder if the Kaleido display is currently only available in six inch screens? It seems like a 7" or 8" display would be the more viable market for color eInk readers.
Onyx has implied there is a 7.8" screen in the works.
https://the-digital-reader.com/2020/...color-ereader/
Old 08-10-2020, 11:09 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Onyx has implied there is a 7.8" screen in the works.
https://the-digital-reader.com/2020/...color-ereader/
I think what's cool about the Kaleido display is that it just "snaps" into current cases and also (apparently) can use current system boards (just going by what you wrote).

If Boox has a 7.8" version coming out, I'm guessing PocketBook will have one also to fit into the InkPad 3 case and (maybe) a 13.3" one to fit in the InkPad X case.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #20
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
Good luck ordering one of these as they appear to have sold out...
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2020, 05:48 AM   #21
deedward9
Enthusiast
deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2, Kobo Clara, Nook Glowlight Plus, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4
This seems totally crazy, but someone shared a link to Goodereader that commented they had only manufactured about 100 of these more as a test run and to see if the market was interested.

I just wonder where that information came from.
deedward9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:01 AM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedward9 View Post
This seems totally crazy, but someone shared a link to Goodereader that commented they had only manufactured about 100 of these more as a test run and to see if the market was interested.

it was pulled from Mike's ass
Old 08-13-2020, 09:22 AM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I guess from the same "insiders" who kept saying a new Kindle Voyage model was coming out "soon."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:05 PM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Wow, I hadn't been keeping up with the latest ereader news until the last few days and I was surprised that one colour e-ink had been released, let alone now two and maybe more in the works. It's getting very tempting for me even though now with a colour e-ink (maybe mini) wave hitting I really am thinking Kindle must be working on one to release either this year or next.

The Pocketbook was tempting but this one is even more tempting. Way back in the caveman days when I was first deciding on an ebook reader (and why I found this forum, and was using this forum to decide), I had seriously considered an Onyx and was thisclose to it, but went with another instead. From my research then I remember thinking Onyx were a quality company. Also, I like the form factor of this one better than the Pocketbook, mainly in that I'm not a big fan of the somewhat old school particular silver they're using on the bottom of the Pocketbook. It's a very minor quibble though that I wouldn't really mind.

I think I'll wait a little bit to make sure I really want to buy one now and maybe to see some first reviews (and for stock to hopefully come back), but my finger is definitely itching at the trigger.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:

I don't trust any info from that site, but it does seem like this was some kind of smaller batch test run. Looking on the order page, two things struck me:

-the first picture of the ereader (you'll need to scroll through the pics to get to it) has the text underneath, 'Collaborative Limited Edition'

-the text later on down the page, 'The first batch of Poke2Color has been sold out less than 24 hours. Thanks for all of your great support. We look forward to receiving your feedback soon. Any feedback will be highly appreciated and passed on to our R&D team for better product development in the future.'
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #26
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Well, wake me if there is a 13.3 inch color Onyx Boox.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:46 AM   #27
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Well, wake me if there is a 13.3 inch color Onyx Boox.
Now that would be something.

We can dream...
Old 08-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #28
ezdiy
Zealot
ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: KT, KPW4, PB740-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Onyx have finally launched their 6" ereader using the new
At $299, it seems to be rather more expensive than the PocketBook equivalent.
PocketBook 633 is ~$220 at most retailers. The downside seems to be the slow B288 chipset - 2x1GHz, 1GB RAM and 2.4Ghz Wifi, BT3 only. Expect same slowness as on 632, or worse due to color. PB633 has larger battery (1900mAh) than onyx, so should last a bit longer in theory.

As for onyx, it's a modern cellphone chipset - 8x2Ghz, 2GB RAM and dual-band wifi, BT 4.1. It should be noticeably snappier. It runs Android. It's now much more a lot like tablet with e-ink than conventional e-reader.
ezdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:49 PM   #29
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdiy View Post
PocketBook 633 is ~$220 at most retailers. The downside seems to be the slow B288 chipset - 2x1GHz, 1GB RAM and 2.4Ghz Wifi, BT3 only. Expect same slowness as on 632, or worse due to color. PB633 has larger battery (1900mAh) than onyx, so should last a bit longer in theory.

As for onyx, it's a modern cellphone chipset - 8x2Ghz, 2GB RAM and dual-band wifi, BT 4.1. It should be noticeably snappier. It runs Android. It's now much more a lot like tablet with e-ink than conventional e-reader.
I can confirm that the PB 633 Color is not fast. And that its battery life seems good.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #30
Crowriver
Groupie

Given that the Poke2 Color is sold out, them there's only one game in town, the Pocketbook Color...