Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #31
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Why do folks think color eink is right around the corner? It’s been a topic I’ve seen in a few threads recently.

Color eink has been something that the industry has been promising for years but continuously fails to produce in a commercially viable form for consumer level devices.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:47 PM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
It is advertised here as 256 MB
That's odd (when compared to the Tolino Page 2). So the Nia is not quite a Page 2 hardware clone.

EDIT: The Nia also is shown (on Kobo's comparison page) to have a 900 MHz CPU instead of the one GHz one the Page 2 uses.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-15-2020 at 04:05 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2020, 03:56 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Why do folks think color eink is right around the corner? It’s been a topic I’ve seen in a few threads recently.

Color eink has been something that the industry has been promising for years but continuously fails to produce in a commercially viable form for consumer level devices.
PocketBook seems close, they announced their PocketBook Color in April and it was supposed to release in June or July... so the clock is ticking. GoodEReader has been taking preorders for a couple months and it was supposed to be "available" today. I wonder if PocketBook ran into issues during its "final phase of development?" (So, point taken. )
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #34
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
flePubs should be the name if there is ever a way of selling eBooks secondhand.
That's an unfortunate name.

I like my definition better: For those who want to flee the epub format and go with a Kindle.

Jon, are you there? Hello?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #35
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
It says 8gb of storage, how much are you left with after the software takes its share?
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2020, 08:39 PM   #36
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
I think if you have read up about eReaders then the decision tree is:
a) I want to buy a Kobo rather than a Kindle (either to avoid Amazon lock-in or to get access to Overdrive library support in countries where that is available
b) I'd like to spend as little as possible

But you've probably got to have started with a) in advance.

Alternatively, if you've wandered in a store that has the Kindle Basic, the Nia and either the Clara or Paperwhite on display, you try them all and decide that the Basic screen isn't quite good enough, but the Clara/Paperwhite screens aren't enough better to pay the extra for, so you go for the one in the middle.

The Clara is only $20 more than the Nia and its far better than the kindle paperwhite, kindle basic. I am weary of the nia for it has a 212 ppi which is way behind the times.

I own all the kindles and nooks at one point and I have the kobo clara, libra, aura h20 6.8" The Clara and Libra are my favorites. I like my Oasis but the battery life and hatred for amazon makes it my 3rd favoriate

Last edited by HLS; 07-15-2020 at 08:42 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #37
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
The Clara is only $20 more than the Nia and its far better than the kindle paperwhite, kindle basic. I am weary of the nia for it has a 212 ppi which is way behind the times.

I own all the kindles and nooks at one point and I have the kobo clara, libra, aura h20 6.8" The Clara and Libra are my favorites. I like my Oasis but the battery life and hatred for amazon makes it my 3rd favoriate
The Nia isn’t aimed at anyone who has bought an ereader in the last 4 years or even ever. It’s aimed at the folks who want a cheap means to see what ereaders are about in general. It’s enough of a device to let you know if you’re gonna wanna get more into it or not.

Though I agree the Clara would be the better device some folks would quibble over the 20 dollar difference
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:10 AM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Standard Ebooks supplies KePub for the public domain eBooks they have available. But I'm guessing these KePub are make with Calibre and the KePub output plugin or KePubify.
The last time I looked, they did not use calibre, but, the code was clearly based on the extended driver code.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:39 AM   #39
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's odd (when compared to the Tolino Page 2). So the Nia is not quite a Page 2 hardware clone.

EDIT: The Nia also is shown (on Kobo's comparison page) to have a 900 MHz CPU instead of the one GHz one the Page 2 uses.
The battery became also 1000 mAh instead of 1500 mAh. So it is really a budget model.
It is now officially priced at €99,99 (available 2020-07-21).
As the Clara, priced at €129.99, is quarterly limited available for €109.99, I expect the Nia to follow that same cysclus, hence from €99,99 for €79.99.
I think €79,99 is a reasonable entry e-reader price for the Nia given its specs.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:54 AM   #40
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've added a Nia prefix to the Kobo forum.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That's an unfortunate name.

I like my definition better: For those who want to flee the epub format and go with a Kindle.

Jon, are you there? Hello?
What I would like to know is if these FlePub work with the current version of ADE/RMSDK.

At least they are not KFX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:40 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If you think the Nia is way behind the times with an HD screen, what do you think of the Kindle Basic with a 167ppi screen (800x600)?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:15 AM   #43
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I gave my 6" Kobo Aura to my uncle when I got my Clara. The USB charger on the Aura finally gave up the ghost and about two weeks ago he wound up ordering a refurbished Paperwhite 4 off of eBay, for about a hundred bucks.

If the Nia were available, it would have been a perfect replacement.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #44
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
I think if you have read up about eReaders then the decision tree is:
a) I want to buy a Kobo rather than a Kindle (either to avoid Amazon lock-in or to get access to Overdrive library support in countries where that is available
b) I'd like to spend as little as possible

But you've probably got to have started with a) in advance.

Alternatively, if you've wandered in a store that has the Kindle Basic, the Nia and either the Clara or Paperwhite on display, you try them all and decide that the Basic screen isn't quite good enough, but the Clara/Paperwhite screens aren't enough better to pay the extra for, so you go for the one in the middle.
Kindles get Overdrive too! So dont believe its that.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #45
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Kindles get Overdrive too! So dont believe its that.
Only in certain countries
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote