Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #16
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
So I didn't see any mention of a solar power cover. Was that just someone's pipe dream?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #17
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
The price doesn't suprise me. $200 for the Kindle, just like the Voyage and another $80 for the leather cover. Amazon's other leather covers are $60 right? and this one has a battery in it.

The really disappointing thing is that you can't get it without the cover. Don't try and tell me its ergonomic and lightweight and perfect for one handed reading and super thin and then force me to buy a case with it which undoes everything you just told me is great about it.

In the UK the difference in price with the Voyage is much greater if you go for the basic origami case.

Voyage is £169.99
Amazon origami case between £39.99 - 79.99
Oasis is £269.99
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #18
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Also, I'm seeing a $309 price tag, not $289. What's up with that? Oh wait, that's the advertisements, right?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Power adapter not included. Only $20 extra
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
New "top of the line Kindle" details coming next week

The first Kindle to include a cover in the base price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #21
Drew0020
Connoisseur
Drew0020 doesn't litterDrew0020 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I have no issue with the pricing, but wow that design is a step backward. I know people have been clamoring for physical buttons. I dont want any front facing physical buttons on my e-reader, but that's my opinion.

For me this is a huge step backwards for the Kindle line. No processor speed increase, no elimination of the screen refresh, and no screen size or resolution increase. And with the cover it weighs 2.1 ounces more than the Voyage.

That is not what I was hoping for with the top of the line Kindle. And to think I was so excited last week to retire my Voyage. It stays another year.

Last edited by Drew0020; 04-13-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Drew0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #22
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
It's wider now, so it'll probably not fit in some of the usual pockets I would squeeze my voyage into.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #23
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Same 300 ppi as the Voyage.
Paperwhite, Voyage and Oasis have the same display tech, it's the other details that consumers will use in making their buying decision.
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #24
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
So I didn't see any mention of a solar power cover. Was that just someone's pipe dream?
Yep, that was from the random guessing anticipation thread.

It meandered a bit but I think we ended up thinking it would be waterproof, solar powered and taste of tuna. So, basically, wrong on at least two out of three.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #25
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I must admit to a lot of disappointment. The battery life is 8 weeks with cover on. No mention of what the battery life is without the cover.

It is lighter than a voyage with cover, and with more battery life. But that and the extra LEDs seems to be almost all it has going for it.

No adaptive lighting. £100 more than the Voyage, or £60 more if you buy the official Amazon Voyage cover.

Not for me.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #26
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
On amazon.de for 289.99 EUR.

And it's the first time I won't get the new Kindle.

Not tempted by the device itself, and at that price, frankly, considering the existing and not bad at all competition (the first Kindle were really expensive too, I know, but there was no alternative,) I am wondering what amazon is thinking..
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #27
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew0020 View Post
For me this is a huge step backwards for the Kindle line. No processor speed increase, no elimination of the screen refresh, and no screen size or resolution increase. That's what I was hoping for with the top of the line Kindle refresh.

Not every new release is going to push the technology forward. Some are just to provide the consumers with new options in other areas.

We're tech fans. Not all Kindle users are, and other things matter to them...like look & feel.

Last edited by Shane R; 04-13-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #28
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Also, I'm seeing a $309 price tag, not $289. What's up with that? Oh wait, that's the advertisements, right?
Me too. In the U.S., I'm seeing the price on the product page for the Kindle Oasis with Leather Charging Cover - Black, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi), Wi-Fi as $309.99. Is anyone actually seeing $289.99?

EDIT: Never mind. The link above for the U.S. must've been for the model without special offers. Here's the link for the $289.99 Oasis:

Kindle Oasis with Leather Charging Cover - Black, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi), Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers

Last edited by DreamWriter; 04-13-2016 at 09:36 AM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #29
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
I think one of the leaks mentioned it was coming later, so more expense if you wanted it.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #30
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I said £250, wasn't that far off in my guestimate. Still £270 is way more that I'd be willing to spend on an e-reader unless there really was something amazing about it - there most definitely isn't.
I still find it fugly and that included 'premium' cover doesn't look that great, the red is quite nice but that huge amazon logo kinda ruins it. I'm therefore not very likely to order one
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote