Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Why So Quick To Patch?

why are some of you so quick to patch everything? no wonder the kobo developers don't add new features like full screen reading for example into there official firmware releases, when some are more than happy to use 3rd party mods and patches.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Even in the patched full screen reading mode there are still some glitches. Maybe Kobo isn't holding off on releasing features because patches enable them anyway, but because those features are not yet ready for release.

Maybe because some users demand a feature and then complain when it doesn't work perfectly on a format for which established standards do not really exist as of yet, and where they do publishers don't always comply to them.

Also Kobo has addressed issues that patching has resolved in previous firmware versions. So the conclusion that because patches exist for features means that Kobo will not implement them is illogical.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Even in the patched full screen reading mode there are still some glitches. Maybe Kobo isn't holding off on releasing features because patches enable them anyway, but because those features are not yet ready for release.

Maybe because some users demand a feature and then complain when it doesn't work perfectly on a format for which established standards do not really exist as of yet, and where they do publishers don't always comply to them.

Also Kobo has addressed issues that patching has resolved in previous firmware versions. So the conclusion that because patches exist for features means that Kobo will not implement them is illogical.
i don't demand features, i suggest them.

best wishes koboy
Old 08-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
Or perhaps because particular patches only fix issues which don't have enough of a demand to warrant a full change.

Its incredibly unlikely patches are changes Kobo's behaviour in this regard because

a) They're popular patches - then Kobo will add them and tout them as additional features

or

b) They're unpopular patches so Kobo doesn't care about them.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I never install ANY patches or third party changes; I run totally stock.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I never install ANY patches or third party changes; I run totally stock.

good, hopefully less chance of things going wrong that way, i find.

best wishes koboy
Old 08-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #7
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
good, hopefully less chance of things going wrong that way, i find.

best wishes koboy
Considering Kobo's recent firmware history, this is not such a valid statement.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #8
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Considering Kobo's recent firmware history, this is not such a valid statement.

3.16.0 works fine for me, turn Wifi off, nobody is forcing you to upgrade it's your own choice.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 08-26-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #9
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
why are some of you so quick to patch everything? no wonder the kobo developers don't add new features like full screen reading for example into there official firmware releases, when some are more than happy to use 3rd party mods and patches.
It is interesting to note that the first patch to enable a full-screen mode in ePubs (by metazoa of the Russian forum the-ebook.org) was made back around firmware version 2.6.1 or earlier.

It wasn't until later, in firmware version 3.3.0, that Kobo added their undocumented full-screen option. It was quite an improvement on the original patched version because it worked with KePubs too (albeit imperfectly.)

Later on, MR members found a way to work-around the problems that affected KePubs in full-screen mode, first by editing sideloaded KePubs (no patch required), and then by altering the device's built-in KePub stylesheet with a patch. These are not perfect solutions, but they make reading KePubs in full-screen mode quite workable. (I use full-screen mode exclusively for reading both ePubs and KePubs now.)

I expect the next step will be that Kobo finds better solutions to the work-arounds and enables the full-screen option by default. My guess is that they haven't done this yet because the problems that affect KePubs are not the fault of Kobo's full-screen code itself, but are actually bugs buried deeper in the KEPUB reader (possibly in third-party librarys that the KEPUB reader uses) which full-screen mode merely makes more noticable. (one of the problems is visible on a stock reader if you set the margin slider to minimum while reading a KePub in normal reading mode. Activating full-screen mode just makes this existing bug visible at other margin settings.)

A similar sequence of events occured with the font sizing:

Originally the Kobo firmware had 24 font sizes ranging from size 12-58, and there were some very large gaps in the sizes that could be selected at the middle of the range. For example there was only one size selectable between 32 and 40.

A patch was created (metazoa again) that allowed these gaps to be filled in and so made possible finer adjustment of the font size in the middle of the range.

Later, in firmware 3.12.0, Kobo increased the number of font sizes to 40, but still didn't fill in the large gaps.

Later again, in firmware 3.13.1, Kobo increased the number of font sizes again (it now varies by device, the latest devices have 48 sizes) and partially filled in the large gaps, now there were 3 sizes selectable between 32 and 40

However the font sizes patches continue to be used, because some people want even finer adjustment than Kobo have provided for in the sizes at the middle of the range they most often read, and don't mind giving up some of the huge sizes at the top of the range that they never use anyway.

There are also a number of patches that are no longer needed at all because Kobo have completely fixed the problem that the patch was created to solve. In some cases the way that Kobo fixed the problem was identical to the method employed by the patch. (For example, this one.) Those who patched were able to enjoy the fixes for a year or more before Kobo got around to making them part of the official firmware.

So the existence of patches hasn't stopped Kobo from continuing to improve the features that have been patched.

Last edited by GeoffR; 08-26-2015 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #10
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It is interesting to note that the first patch to enable a full-screen mode in ePubs (by metazoa of the Russian forum the-ebook.org) was made back around firmware version 2.6.1 or earlier.

It wasn't until later, in firmware version 3.3.0, that Kobo added their undocumented full-screen option. It was quite an improvement on the original patched version because it worked with KePubs too (albeit imperfectly.)

Later on, MR members found a way to work-around the problems that affected KePubs in full-screen mode, first by editing sideloaded KePubs (no patch required), and then by altering the device's built-in KePub stylesheet with a patch. These are not perfect solutions, but they make reading KePubs in full-screen mode quite workable. (I use full-screen mode exclusively for reading both ePubs and KePubs now.)

I expect the next step will be that Kobo finds better solutions to the work-arounds and enables the full-screen option by default. My guess is that they haven't done this yet because the problems that affect KePubs are not the fault of Kobo's full-screen code itself, but are actually bugs buried deeper in the KEPUB reader (possibly in third-party librarys that the KEPUB reader uses) which full-screen mode merely makes more noticable. (one of the problems is visible on a stock reader if you set the margin slider to minimum while reading a KePub in normal reading mode. Activating full-screen mode just makes this existing bug visible at other margin settings.)

Originally the Kobo firmware had 24 font sizes ranging from size 12-58, and there were some very large gaps in the sizes that could be selected at the middle of the range. For example there was only one size selectable between 32 and 40.

A patch was created (metazoa again) that allowed these gaps to be filled in and so made possible finer adjustment of the font size in the middle of the range.

Later, in firmware 3.12.0, Kobo increased the number of font sizes to 40, but still didn't fill in the large gaps.

Later again, in firmware 3.13.1, Kobo increased the number of font sizes again (it now varies by device, the latest devices have 48 sizes) and partially filled in the large gaps, now there were 3 sizes selectable between 32 and 40

However the font sizes patches continue to be used, because some people want even finer adjustment than Kobo have provided for in the sizes at the middle of the range they most often read, and don't mind giving up some of the huge sizes at the top of the range that they never use anyway.

There are also a number of patches that are no longer needed at all because Kobo have completely fixed the problem that the patch was created to solve. In some cases the way that Kobo fixed the problem was identical to the method employed by the patch. (For example, this one.) Those who patched were able to enjoy the fixes for a year or more before Kobo got around to making them part of the official firmware.

So the existence of patches hasn't stopped Kobo from continuing to improve the features that have been patched.
thanks for your very informative response, i look forward to a future firmware release that as a full-screen option by default, that works 100% with kepub, for me it is the only thing missing that stops my kobo Aura 6 " being the perfect e-reader device.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 08-26-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #11
Akk
Akk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Koboy: It would be great if Kobo put every useful patch into the firmware, but I don't see that individuals personally holding off and not patching would do anything to speed that along. How would Kobo even know whether or not I patched my reader?

Meanwhile, I'm reading with it and I want it to work as well as it can. If some easy patches can get me better functionality, why would I hold off and suffer with less?

It does matter that it's easy. The folks who set up the patches have done an outstanding job (THANKS!) -- as a new user I found the process super well organized and well documented. If patching had been like, say, Android rooting I probably wouldn't have bothered (and might not have gotten a Kobo at all -- configurability/hackability was a big part of why I ordered mine).
Akk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akk View Post
Koboy: It would be great if Kobo put every useful patch into the firmware, but I don't see that individuals personally holding off and not patching would do anything to speed that along. How would Kobo even know whether or not I patched my reader?

Meanwhile, I'm reading with it and I want it to work as well as it can. If some easy patches can get me better functionality, why would I hold off and suffer with less?

It does matter that it's easy. The folks who set up the patches have done an outstanding job (THANKS!) -- as a new user I found the process super well organized and well documented. If patching had been like, say, Android rooting I probably wouldn't have bothered (and might not have gotten a Kobo at all -- configurability/hackability was a big part of why I ordered mine).
i appreciate the points you make, it's good that you don't mind patching your device that is your prerogative, but it's not for me, i will stick with the official firmware releases and upgrade if and when i think it is worth it.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 08-26-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #13
barobach_so
Connoisseur
barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.

Device: kobo h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

impressive
but why don't they fix this re-sync dictionaries problem

what about " Kobo future firmware feature request thread" ? do they really consider it ?
barobach_so is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #14
outlandos
Connoisseur
outlandos doesn't litteroutlandos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akk View Post

This exactly. If something bothers me and i can patch it, why not? The guys that set up the patches have made it so easy i don't see the problem in it. Nor do i think it will slow down Kobo to implement those features in the official firmware. It might even make things easier for them.
outlandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #15
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Because we can?
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote