Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-01-2021, 11:47 AM   #271
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Does it respond to either the sleepcover being closed or power button being pressed to enter sleep mode?
I don't have a sleepcover. I can force it to power off though
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:37 AM   #272
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Does it respond to either the sleepcover being closed or power button being pressed to enter sleep mode?
Yes it does. Putting it to sleep and waking it up brings it back to life.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #273
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Got the Sage

Got the Sage in the mail today. Overall a very nice device. Beatiful and functional sleep cover & the device is fast and responsive. The only thing I lament is that the beautiful amber red screen from earlier generations such as Aura is nowhere to be found. Now the screen goes at most to a "kind-of-yellow" color. Comparison shot below vs Aura which is not even on the highest temperature. There is also more overall ghosting than on the Aura.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-sage-vs-aura.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	190143  
khromov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:07 PM   #274
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by khromov View Post
Got the Sage in the mail today. Overall a very nice device. Beatiful and functional sleep cover & the device is fast and responsive. The only thing I lament is that the beautiful amber red screen from earlier generations such as Aura is nowhere to be found. Now the screen goes at most to a "kind-of-yellow" color. Comparison shot below vs Aura which is not even on the highest temperature. There is also more overall ghosting than on the Aura.
The new kindle seems to have the best overall lighting.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:16 PM   #275
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Those two photos are an excellent example of how deeply subjective the reading experience is, and why that makes screen quality comparisons difficult and perhaps almost meaningless. For me, that screen on the right looks utterly ghastly, absolutely hideous, I could scarcely imagine any reading experience worse. Which has the bonus effect of making the Sage (and my decision to buy one), look even better.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:20 PM   #276
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Those two photos are an excellent example of how deeply subjective the reading experience is, and why that makes screen quality comparisons difficult and perhaps almost meaningless. For me, that screen on the right looks utterly ghastly, absolutely hideous, I could scarcely imagine any reading experience worse. Which has the bonus effect of making the Sage (and my decision to buy one), look even better.
I have to agree with that. The idea of reading with the with that colour screen is making me feel a bit nauseous. I like the colour changing, but, usually have it set to make the screen a little off white. It seems to be the easiest on my eyes.

The Aura ONE was probably the most fun for the colour of the light. It used LEDs that could produce full colour. There was an option in the developers screen to do this. I tried the green only and reading with it made me feel green after a few minutes. And the all blue was just weird.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:10 PM   #277
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
the problem with these two photos is if you are wanting to show the Kobo Sage as more yellow colour lighting rather than orange it would have been a good idea to take a photo of the KA1 at it's most orange setting. with the greatest respect all you've achieved here by having the KA1 showing an awful (imho) pinky colour is to make the Kobo Sage look (considerably) better.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:17 PM   #278
ableal
Enthusiast
ableal began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (2009), Kobo Clara HD (2018), Kobo Libra 2 (2022)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

I tried the green only and reading with it made me feel green after a few minutes. And the all blue was just weird.
Many moons ago, a publisher in my corner of the woods came out with paper books printed in slightly bilious light green sheets.

I think they beat a hasty retreat after a few books
ableal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #279
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
The Aura ONE's lighting was however quite patchy near the screen edges. Certainly mine is!

The Sage's lighting looks very even in that photo. Does it look as even in real life?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote