Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Czur scanner

Just saw this IndieGoGo fund raiser --> Czur scanner : build your own digital library. Looks interesting.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Future retail price (400 $ + taxes) would be great too.

Similar Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600 Overhead Scanner is at about 2 x 400 $.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225290

Last edited by markom; 11-07-2015 at 12:11 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
My personal take is that it's designed to scan hardcovers that can be opened 180 degrees, probably not so good for paperbacks, which generally don't lay flat, and older, more fragile books. It looks like someone asked about that and the reply from the builders either didn't understand the question or dismissed it as unimportant.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agreed. For a general-purpose book scanner you need a V-shaped support with a separate camera for each side.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:18 PM   #5
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
My personal take is that it's designed to scan hardcovers that can be opened 180 degrees, probably not so good for paperbacks, which generally don't lay flat, and older, more fragile books. It looks like someone asked about that and the reply from the builders either didn't understand the question or dismissed it as unimportant.
Using foot pedal to start the page scanning and both hands for stretching the paperback book maximally + software (for flattening curvatures, erasing fingerprints and (binding gap) shades) should be good & quick enough, I guess.

Or maybe using a fixed glass panel, by pressing paperback from underneath the panel (without moving the glass panel) for the special hard-core cases.

Last edited by markom; 11-07-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Advert
Old 11-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
Using foot pedal to start the page scanning and two hands for stretching the paperback book + software (for flattening curvatures, erasing fingerprints and binding gap shades) should be good & quick enough, I guess.

Or maybe using a fixed glass panel, by pressing paperback from underneath the panel, without moving the glass panel for the special cases.
I don't see how software could flatten out a curve. It would have to be able to read what is in the curve. Sounds like an overpriced scanner unless it has an OCR and can convert to workable letters.
I can scan books with my cheap HP.
Works great for somethings and not so well for others.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
markom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I don't see how software could flatten out a curve. It would have to be able to read what is in the curve. Sounds like an overpriced scanner unless it has an OCR and can convert to workable letters.
There is OCR and they say its software can automatically and quickly flatten the curves, erase fingerprints, purify the background and correct distortions, like e.g. Abbyy Finereader's FotoReader for images taken with smartphones/cameras.

http://www.abbyy.com/ocr-sdk-windows...ts/camera-ocr/

Last edited by markom; 11-07-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I really don't want to flatten out my books, though. Other than properly bound hardbacks, opening a books flat creases the spine (if it's a paperback) and can damage glued-in bindings.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
There is OCR and they say its software can automatically and quickly flatten the curves, ...
Yes. There is post-scan software that will correct these errors...kind of an interesting process if you are interested in that kind of stuff (here's a cool video of some college students working with scanning several hundred pages per minute). They have software at DIYBookScanner.org that will do a really good job - for free. Obviously the better image/scan you can get in the first place drastically reduces the number of errors, and it speeds up the whole conversion process.

I'd recommend using some kind of platen to flatten the page, and cradle the book at a comfortable 90-100 degrees with scans as perpendicular to the page as possible.

edit: ooops forgot the link to the video:
here
and another cool one here

Last edited by Turtle91; 11-07-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Yes. There is post-scan software that will correct these errors...kind of an interesting process if you are interested in that kind of stuff (here's a cool video of some college students working with scanning several hundred pages per minute). They have software at DIYBookScanner.org that will do a really good job - for free. Obviously the better image/scan you can get in the first place drastically reduces the number of errors, and it speeds up the whole conversion process.

I'd recommend using some kind of platen to flatten the page, and cradle the book at a comfortable 90-100 degrees with scans as perpendicular to the page as possible.

edit: ooops forgot the link to the video:
here
and another cool one here

You may have made my life easier. I have a book that needs scanned so I can publish it.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:

You may have made my life easier. I have a book that needs scanned so I can publish it.
Expensive solution for one book. You'd be better off using a commercial scanning service.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

I was referring to the free software the poster posted. I have a scanner.
Not buying the machine.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:57 PM   #13
XXCoder
Enthusiast
XXCoder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pw2, NST
I got mine, but unfortunately still unable to make it work, some sort of driver issue. :P
XXCoder is offline   Reply With Quote