Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does the 950 come with a cover?

If the 950 comes with a cover, it's not going to be too much more then a 650 with cover. So I'd like to know if anyone knows if the 950 comes with a cover as that may influence my next reader purchase.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Sony hasn't really announced ANYTHING about the 950. They just showed prototypes around when they showed the 350 and 650. I haven't even been able to find definitive measurements or weight.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Based on the photos that have been released so far, it does not look like it has the built in cover like the 900 did. Also, since neither of the new models that are out now have covers of any kind, it seems unlike that the 950 will. My impression is that Sony is desperately in an effort to lower their prices (not that they were very effective at it), and the covers were probably one of the first things to go out the window.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
jackinca
Connoisseur
jackinca began at the beginning.

Device: sony 900
No Cover but unlike the 650 it will have a plug transformer attached to the end of the USB which can be detached for downloads to the reader. Got this information from a salesperson.
jackinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Having just logged on to Sony dot com and searched for PRS 950... guess what... there's a spec sheet:

Dimensions (Approx.) : 6.38 x 2.28 x 9.84 inches (WxDxH)
Weight (Approx.) : Approx. 1.23 oz
AC Power : DC 5.2 V
Battery Life (Approx) : 12,000 (ePub) Continuous page turns
Battery Type : Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery: DC 3.7 V
Recharging Time : 3.5 Hours
Operating Temperature : 41 to 95 °F
Gray Scale : 16 level gray scale
Resolution : 600 x 1024 pixels
Screen Size : Vizplex™ 7 inches
Technology : Infra-Red Clear Touch Screen
Memory Size : 2GB Dual Memory Card Expansion Slots for Memory Stick Duo™ and SD Card up to 32GB.

Edit: Hadn't read next thread where someone's already quoted this... and size/weight dubious as pointed out below (and elsewhere) so forget I posted this

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Sony hasn't really announced ANYTHING about the 950. They just showed prototypes around when they showed the 350 and 650. I haven't even been able to find definitive measurements or weight.

Last edited by elcreative; 09-19-2010 at 07:26 PM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Having just logged on to Sony dot com and searched for PRS 950... guess what... there's a spec sheet:

Dimensions (Approx.) : 6.38 x 2.28 x 9.84 inches (WxDxH)
Weight (Approx.) : Approx. 1.23 oz
2 1/4 inches thick?! No way - that has to be the box dimension.

And I think my cell phone weighs more the 1 1/4 ounces, too.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, there is no way that is right. What little I've been able to find is that the 950 is slightly smaller than the 900, and weighs in the 8 oz range.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinca View Post
No Cover but unlike the 650 it will have a plug transformer attached to the end of the USB which can be detached for downloads to the reader. Got this information from a salesperson.
If it doesn't come with a cover, that might mean I might go for the 650.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

I personally would not place any emphasis on anything a sales clerk said. They typically are pretty clueless. I would go to the Sony Style website listed below and look at what the horse's mouth has to say:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...itionalImage1"

I attached two images. The first is from the above website and shows what might be a barrel AC charge connector, but looks more like a headphone jack to me. The second shows the back of the older 900 and as you can see from comparing it to Sony's photos of the new 950 it doesn't have the cover connections. I doubt it will come with a cover and I doubt it will have the barrel style charger connector.

EDIT: I'm rather certain that is a headphone jack. Compare that photo with the one for the black 650 on which the same port/connector is clearly labeled for headphones.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prs950.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	58688   Click image for larger version

Name:	prs-900-back.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	58689  

Last edited by jswinden; 09-23-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Have we determined whether the 950 is to have actual web browsing, beyond just the Sony Store?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Have we determined whether the 950 is to have actual web browsing, beyond just the Sony Store?
I don't think we can answer that until Sony releases a statement on the 950 or the User manual. Anything at this time is pure speculation on our part.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinca View Post
That would be very interesting if what the salesperson told you is accurate. The Kindle 3 and iPhone 4 both come with a USB cable plus plug transformer. Small and convenient for travel.

I won't miss a cover if it's not supplied. I don't much care for the built-in black cover on my PRS-900. I really didn't like the brown cover that came with the -505 silver models. I would rather have the option to buy a colorful one to suit my personality! I am more bothered if it turns out the PRS-950 only comes in silver as I much prefer black like the -500 & -900 were.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
The prototype pics say pretty clearly "Shown silver but unit will be black" (paraphrased) - I don't get the benefit of a "plug transformer"? Is that an AC connection for charging?
As for a cover, I'd rather buy my own (Oberon K2 size, though costly, are very nice!).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:23 AM   #14
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Yes, you will be able to browse the web only on Wi-Fi mode not 3G.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #15
simplyparticular
Guru

Quote:
The prototype pics say pretty clearly "Shown silver but unit will be black" (paraphrased) - I don't get the benefit of a "plug transformer"? Is that an AC connection for charging?
As for a cover, I'd rather buy my own (Oberon K2 size, though costly, are very nice!).
Actually, based in the dimensions, the PRS-950 is almost identical to the Nook, so you'd be better off ordering a Nook case, if Oberon doesn't offer Sony cases.