Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #16
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
If there were an option to display date and time on the home screen, I would use it.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:03 AM   #17
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I would like the version of webkit to be updated (I want to be able to use flexbox and es2015), scrollbars to be fixed in the reader and browser, and for sideloaded books to be able to sync. I'd also like slightly thinner borders around boxes, and a slimmer top and bottom bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
But this is the code I added into the nickel.patch file. Be warned this was for Firmware 4.9.11311, I'm not sure if it's one of those multi-firmware patches.
Here is the multi-version patch for use with kobopatch: https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatc....yaml#L93-L125 . BTW, I like your idea for the homescreen design.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #18
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Here is the multi-version patch for use with kobopatch: https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatc....yaml#L93-L125 . BTW, I like your idea for the homescreen design.
Thanks for that link, I'm bookmarking this now so I don't loose it again. It's one of my "must haves".
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #19
Fanki
Fanki has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fanki has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fanki has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fanki has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fanki has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thank you for all the replies to this thread! Please keep it up - I'm logging and organizing all your replies.
Fanki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #20
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My issue with threads like this is simply what's the point.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #21
Fanki
Fanki has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fanki has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fanki has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fanki has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fanki has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
My issue with threads like this is simply what's the point.
Thank you for your contribution, PeterT.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I once posted images of what I wanted to see in a home screen with blocks being uniformly sized for whatever it was (found the old post here), images I could put here. But that's still my preference over this new screen, I still hate it. At least there's a way to remove the 3rd line with the recommendations.
Dump the commendation from your mock up and put something more useful there. Anything that requires WiFi to be on is not a good idea for a tile in the home screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I would like a reading mode: tap anywhere on the screen to page forward, swiping can be used also.
How about an option to tap to move forward and swipe right to move back and swipe up/down to get the menu?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How about an option to tap to move forward and swipe right to move back and swipe up/down to get the menu?
My main reason for it is so there is only one tap area.

My secondary thinking is that if it is simpler, there is less likely a chance of missing taps or misinterpreting taps for swipes, long presses, double taps, ...

I would really like a rock solid method for tapping to turn pages.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #25
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Dump the commendation from your mock up and put something more useful there. Anything that requires WiFi to be on is not a good idea for a tile in the home screen.
Remember all of those tiles are dismissable, so that leaves it up to everyone what tiles they want on their screen. The only fixed tiles are the top 3 books, which would be the most recently opened.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanki View Post
Thank you for your contribution, PeterT.
Well, what is the point? So far, nothing in this thread is new. Every idea suggested has been suggested in one or other thread here before. That is the point of the two firmware suggestion threads stickied at the top of this forum. And there are a lot more ideas there. Some of those ideas have been adopted, most haven't.

So, what is the point? Are you expecting to come up with a design and sell that to Kobo? Or are you planning to develop the code yourself? Or encourage someone else to do it? Or, it is just intellectual curiosity? And for all of those, "been there, done that". You can find threads that cover all of these.

Of course, the funniest thing to me about this thread is you. Your first post is decrying the interface and stating you want to develop something better. But, you don't make any suggestions yourself. You don't say what it is you don't like or want. I find that a very strange thing to do.

Having said all that, have at it. It's fun, and from my point of view, it is interesting to see what others think is important. And occasionally very amusing. You just need to keep your expectations at a reasonable level. And maybe actually state what your expectations are.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #27
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Well, what is the point? So far, nothing in this thread is new. Every idea suggested has been suggested in one or other thread here before. That is the point of the two firmware suggestion threads stickied at the top of this forum. And there are a lot more ideas there. Some of those ideas have been adopted, most haven't.

So, what is the point? Are you expecting to come up with a design and sell that to Kobo? Or are you planning to develop the code yourself? Or encourage someone else to do it? Or, it is just intellectual curiosity? And for all of those, "been there, done that". You can find threads that cover all of these.

Of course, the funniest thing to me about this thread is you. Your first post is decrying the interface and stating you want to develop something better. But, you don't make any suggestions yourself. You don't say what it is you don't like or want. I find that a very strange thing to do.

Having said all that, have at it. It's fun, and from my point of view, it is interesting to see what others think is important. And occasionally very amusing. You just need to keep your expectations at a reasonable level. And maybe actually state what your expectations are.
It would be good to remember that some of us are new here, or visit infrequently. Plowing through years of previous posts would take a fair amount of time.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
It would be good to remember that some of us are new here, or visit infrequently. Plowing through years of previous posts would take a fair amount of time.
That's fair enough, and I've thought a couple of times that resetting those firmware suggestion threads would be a good idea. But, to do that it would really need for someone to sift through the threads and make a summary to seed the thread. Otherwise, the new thread would just be repeats of the old.

On the other hand, don't be to surprised if a few of the older hands get a bit exasperated by the repeated suggestions. As I said, nothing suggested so far in this thread is new. None of those suggestions have been taken by Kobo, and I doubt if any will be. I'm not trying to discourage the discussion, just making sure that expectations are reasonable.

A problem for me I suppose is that I disagree with @Fanki's opening statement. I have no idea what "smartness" the UI is missing or how you to really improve the reading experience. I see words on the page, I can adjust the text size and easily turn to the next page. And I don't have to break the spine of the book to keep it open. What more do you need? And that is why I feel the lack of information in @Fanki's opening post is important. I have no idea where @Fanki is coming from. And that is important as a lot of this is personal. To pick a suggestion made in the thread, tapping anywhere to turn the page doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but obviously someone does think it is a good idea.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:35 AM   #29
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Improvements to Kobos GUI, want your thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanki View Post
Thank you for all the replies to this thread! Please keep it up - I'm logging and organizing all your replies.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Yes, I agree.

Quote:

So, what is the point?
The point is that this is a new inventory of the feature wishes that are still current. The stickied threads are indeed full of feature requests but they are also old. There is no way to know which requests and wishes are still current or still valid or still applicable. If someone really wants to try to build the perfect GUI, they need to know which wishes still exists right now, not sift through many many pages of a mix of wishes from all sorts of different firmwares and guess at which users still have the same opinion months/years later.

Quote:
[...] And that is why I feel the lack of information in @Fanki's opening post is important. I have no idea where @Fanki is coming from. And that is important as a lot of this is personal.
That's understandable. Though I can also understand that maybe Fanki didn't think his own opinion was relevant (to us) as he's the one wanting to attempt to build a new GUI, and was after our opinion to see what is currently important.

Having said that, what are your own ideas, Fanki?

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 08-21-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:43 AM   #30
Fanki

Quote:
That's fair enough, and I've thought a couple of times that resetting those firmware suggestion threads would be a good idea. But, to do that it would really need for someone to sift through the threads and make a summary to seed the thread. Otherwise, the new thread would just be repeats of the old.

On the other hand, don't be to surprised if a few of the older hands get a bit exasperated by the repeated suggestions. As I said, nothing suggested so far in this thread is new. None of those suggestions have been taken by Kobo, and I doubt if any will be. I'm not trying to discourage the discussion, just making sure that expectations are reasonable.

A problem for me I suppose is that I disagree with @Fanki's opening statement. I have no idea what "smartness" the UI is missing or how you to really improve the reading experience. I see words on the page, I can adjust the text size and easily turn to the next page. And I don't have to break the spine of the book to keep it open. What more do you need? And that is why I feel the lack of information in @Fanki's opening post is important. I have no idea where @Fanki is coming from. And that is important as a lot of this is personal. To pick a suggestion made in the thread, tapping anywhere to turn the page doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but obviously someone does think it is a good idea.
I have to admit, I did not know about those threads in this forum. Maybe I was not looking hard enough. I also assumed that my angle on approaching the subject would be somewhat new, and that would affect opinions and thoughts on the matter, which would motivate a new thread. I also did not know there was a need to defend this kind of idea, but apparently there is one. What I want to do is:
  • Collect opinions, frustrations and needs from Kobo users regarding the UI/UX aspect of the interface
  • Map those needs out and see what are recurring/common themes
  • Create UI wireframes out of those needs, and create a clickable prototype which I would share here, and on Dribbble/Behance and similar places to show a clear before and after. After a (hopefully) successful outcome, share that to Kobo.

I did not want to come with suggestions, as I wanted to start with a blank sheet, not influencing what you guys came up with. I am not doing this for any reason other than a passion for reading and creating great interfaces. I wanted to merge those two interests and create something good. And I do agree, some requests/ideas in this thread are more personal than others, but I think it is possible to sift through and find common themes.

Here are some of my ideas on improvements to the interface:
  • Remove Kobo Store bloat, and use those areas for personal (already bought or side-loaded) content, articles, notes etc.
  • Find a way to visually represent the length of books in relation to other books in your library (Kindle has found a way of solving this)
  • A global Day/Night Mode, which would invert the whole UI, including Reading Mode
  • Let your book collection shine: Display more metadata regarding genre, year, synopsis etc. in a "Detailed Listing Mode".
  • A smarter dictionary, which would help non-native English readers (like myself) to easily recognize and learn difficult english words. English has a lot of words.

I am unsure on how to proceed, as I was not expecting this reaction. I am still naive enough to think it would have an impact on Kobo. It's one thing to say "This is not working" or "Do this", an another to say and actually show "Here is how it should be done".

All the best,
E

Tags
feedback, gui, ka1