Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
The Study Quran is $2.99

HarperOne's The Study Quran edited by Seyyed Hossein Nasr is on sale for $2.99 from a regular price of $39.24.

B&N
Kobo
Amazon

I just bought it and haven't had a chance to evaluate how academic it is. The description is obviously of the print version, because the epub doesn't have an "attractive two-color layout".

Quote:
Overview
The Study Quran: A New Translation and Commentary by Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Caner K Dagli, Maria Massi Dakake, Joseph E.B. Lumbard

An accessible and accurate translation of the Quran that offers a rigorous analysis of its theological, metaphysical, historical, and geographical teachings and backgrounds, and includes extensive study notes, special introductions by experts in the field, and is edited by a top modern Islamic scholar, respected in both the West and the Islamic world.

Drawn from a wide range of traditional Islamic commentaries, including Sunni and Shia sources, and from legal, theological, and mystical texts, The Study Quran conveys the enduring spiritual power of the Quran and offers a thorough scholarly understanding of this holy text.

Beautifully packaged with a rich, attractive two-color layout, this magnificent volume includes essays by 15 contributors, maps, useful notes and annotations in an easy-to-read two-column format, a timeline of historical events, and helpful indices. With The Study Quran, both scholars and lay readers can explore the deeper spiritual meaning of the Quran, examine the grammar of difficult sections, and explore legal and ritual teachings, ethics, theology, sacred history, and the importance of various passages in Muslim life.

With an introduction by its general editor, Seyyed Hossein Nasr, here is a nearly 2,000-page, continuous discussion of the entire Quran that provides a comprehensive picture of how this sacred work has been read by Muslims for over 1,400 years.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I've been wanting to get some version of the Quran/Koran to read, and this looks interesting. (And nice price!).

Has anyone read this particular translation and extra material, or have any experience with it? Any other recommendations?

I know there are lots and lots of English translations out there, including some free at PG, but I don't mind paying some extra for interpretive or helpful extras that are hopefully not (too) biased.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I said, I haven't had a chance to spend any quality time with this one yet, but the translation that I've used until now is the Oxford World Classic Edition.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Study quran

Have been reading it for some time. It’s not too bad . It has some perinalist ideas in it by the author. It has a few essays in the back of the book. It is being revised for the 2nd edition.
If you are wanting to read a Quran go for something else , try Professor Abdul Haleem by Oxford UP press or Dr Zaki Hammad , Abduallah Yusuf Ali Quran .
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:31 PM   #5
Freehunter
Connoisseur
Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4PC, PW2, HD7, calibre
Bought the hardback some time ago, lovely book. It was recommended by an apoligist that I listen to that debates Muslims. This is a scholarly endeavor and there is a large amount of commentary. Note on other translators, like Yusef Ali, some can "whitewash some things that might be offensive. Though sometimes they also expose too much that is offensive.

I should mention that Gutenberg has a combined 3 translations, Yusuf Ali, Pickthall, and Shakir. https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16955
Freehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #6
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

I spent a little time last night reading some of the commentary. In a nutshell, it's very good in terms of explaining Muslim interpretation of various passages and such, but there's no hint of anything text-critical.

Without getting into any of the reasons that might get this kicked to Politics and Religion, I'll quote part of the commentary for Sura 3 (Āl ʿImrān) verses 33-34:

Quote:
ʿImrān is the name of Mary’s father (also in v. 35; 66:12), who is not named in the Bible, but is known in extra-Biblical literature as Joachim, which means “He whom Yahweh set up.” The commentators who equate the name ʿImrān with the Hebrew Amram (the name of Moses’ father), and thus believe that both the father of Moses and the father of Mary were separately named ʿImrān, do not seem to be aware of the name Joachim. The Quran and Ḥadīth do not name Moses’ father; so it is unclear how the equation between ʿImrān and Amram came to be, even though commentators as early as Muqātil (d. 150/767) seem to accept it, and they make an explicit distinction between the two (including the centuries between them).
Comparing this to study Bibles, it's something like the NIV Study Bible discussing the meaning of 1 Timothy without seriously considering the possibility that Paul wasn't the author. While neither The Study Quran nor the NIV Study Bible are devotional by any means, they're also not The New Oxford Annotated Study Bible.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
It's $2.99 on Google Play too. I'm partial to M.H. Shakir's translation - I think it's the most readable - but this has the all-important commentary which gives context to Quranic verses and helps makes sense of them. The main author, Seyyed Hossein Nasr, is a respected Islamic studies scholar and philosopher.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #8
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

The Study Quran is on sale again, this time for $1.99.

B&N
Kobo
Amazon
Old 07-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #9
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
Have been reading it for some time. It’s not too bad . It has some perinalist ideas in it by the author. It has a few essays in the back of the book. It is being revised for the 2nd edition.
If you are wanting to read a Quran go for something else , try Professor Abdul Haleem by Oxford UP press or Dr Zaki Hammad , Abduallah Yusuf Ali Quran .
Sorry, but I have made a fairly extensive online search for the word "perinalist" and can find absolutely nothing in any online dictionary as to that word's meaning.

The nearest definitions, as close as I can get, seem inappropriate and possibly offensive. Can someone help a guy out?

I bought the Kindle version BTW, I had a small book credit, so that it only cost me 99 cents. I hope it isn't "perinalist" whatever that is.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 07-17-2019 at 11:42 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Sorry, but I have made a fairly extensive online search for the word "perinalist" and can find absolutely nothing in any online dictionary as to that word's meaning.

The nearest definitions, as close as I can get, seem inappropriate and possibly offensive. Can someone help a guy out?

I bought the Kindle version BTW, I had a small book credit, so that it only cost me 99 cents. I hope it isn't "perinalist" whatever that is.
Nasr seems to be a member of the Traditionalist School of Perennial Philosophy. Presumably, some suggestion that all religions share fundamental truths seeps into the Study Quran.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #11
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Nasr seems to be a member of the Traditionalist School of Perennial Philosophy. Presumably, some suggestion that all religions share fundamental truths seeps into the Study Quran.
Thanks, that makes sense considering all the dictionaries kept steering me to "Perennial", yet NONE of them tried to inform me of Perennialist Philosophies!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote