Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #91
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
That is because you must first uncheck "Use our download manager and get recommended downloads" and then click on "Download." That will get you the .zip file. (now at v6.1.0)
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:53 PM   #92
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My security apps really do not like Alf's choice of download sites. When I clicked on the download button beneath "tools v6.1.0.zip", it downloaded a file named "7jssblmo.exe.part" which Norton promptly quarantined. There were two other download buttons on the page associated with ads.
It's the gray button at the left that you use, and you must remember to uncheck the box immediately under it where it says use their download manager. The download manager is what's popping up any red flags from AV programs, not the tools. The tools will always be a .zip file. If you're getting an .exe file, stop the download and delete it, that's their crappy download manager.

I use Ad-Block Plus and I don't even see ads on the download page, just one gray button and the checkbox to untick.

Edit: Skydog typed faster than me! But what she said.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 01-05-2015 at 05:33 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2015, 08:53 PM   #93
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
That is because you must first uncheck "Use our download manager and get recommended downloads" and then click on "Download." That will get you the .zip file. (now at v6.1.0)
Thanks! Karma coming your way. File now downloaded and given a clean bill of health by Norton.

I somehow missed that when I read this thread.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:55 PM   #94
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks! Karma coming your way. File now downloaded and given a clean bill of health by Norton.
Thank you and you are most welcome. Glad to hear you have the file and your computer remains sterile.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #95
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post

Edit: Skydog typed faster than me! But what he said.
Not that it is important, but I am a 'she'
Advert
Old 01-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #96
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Moderator Notice
Any discussion of the appropriateness of any religion-specific good wishes should be kept to the P&R forum. Thank you.
Still applies.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:48 PM   #97
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Still applies.
Except, apparently, for the original message that started it all.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:18 AM   #98
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Except, apparently, for the original message that started it all.
Sigh. Now retroactively deleted.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #99
MiguelATF
MiguelATF began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
HELP PLEASE - Can't download Alf's DRM Removal Plugin

Hope someone can help me. Am a new Forum member - and trying to un-DRM my Kindle books as the first step to switching to Kobo.

I downloaded Calibre. (Latest version for Macs is 2.16). Then attempted repeatedly to access the DRM removal plugin from Apprentice Alf's website - K4MobiDeDRM - which, supposedly, can be accessed and downloaded from this weblink -

[snip of direct link]

I've spent a good hour trying to do it - and get error messages saying that it "times out" - i.e. that the website for some reason can't be accessed.

Can anyone help me with this? PLEASE??!!!

Btw the reason I've finally decided to switch from Kindles (I currently have a 1st-gen Paperwhite) to Kobos - is that, today, my 6TH KINDLE FAILED. I treat them well and take care of the - but after 6 hardware failures (Amazon replaced the 1st 5 and then claimed the 6th was out of owarranty) I'm tired of this. (The failures weren't all Paperwhites - several generations of earlier kindles, including a keyboard, also failed).

ANY IDEAS on how to download this DRM Removal Plugin? Is Alf's weblink permanently 'down'? Or are there other DRM-Removal Plugins that do the job as well? Sorry for the noob questions but I've read repeated posts & threads and failed to come up with anything resembling an answer.

THANKS!

Miguel

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-12-2015 at 04:11 AM.
MiguelATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #100
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That is the canonical link, and I get a timeout trying to download the file as well (although the page with the download button works fine).

Apprentice Alf can probably help you more, though.
One of the posts there has comments enabled, and is the recommended location for getting help.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-11-2015 at 03:48 PM. Reason: close parentheses
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #101
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool follow the directions in the included quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
It's the gray button at the left that you use, and you must remember to uncheck the box immediately under it where it says use their download manager. The download manager is what's popping up any red flags from AV programs, not the tools. The tools will always be a .zip file. If you're getting an .exe file, stop the download and delete it, that's their crappy download manager.

I use Ad-Block Plus and I don't even see ads on the download page, just one gray button and the checkbox to untick.

Edit: Skydog typed faster than me! But what she said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelATF View Post
Hope someone can help me. Am a new Forum member - and trying to un-DRM my Kindle books as the first step to switching to Kobo.

I downloaded Calibre. (Latest version for Macs is 2.16). Then attempted repeatedly to access the DRM removal plugin from Apprentice Alf's website - K4MobiDeDRM - which, supposedly, can be accessed and downloaded from this weblink -

Quote:
removed the link because I suspect it'll eventually get removed by the moderators
I've spent a good hour trying to do it - and get error messages saying that it "times out" - i.e. that the website for some reason can't be accessed.

Can anyone help me with this? PLEASE??!!!

Btw the reason I've finally decided to switch from Kindles (I currently have a 1st-gen Paperwhite) to Kobos - is that, today, my 6TH KINDLE FAILED. I treat them well and take care of the - but after 6 hardware failures (Amazon replaced the 1st 5 and then claimed the 6th was out of owarranty) I'm tired of this. (The failures weren't all Paperwhites - several generations of earlier kindles, including a keyboard, also failed).

ANY IDEAS on how to download this DRM Removal Plugin? Is Alf's weblink permanently 'down'? Or are there other DRM-Removal Plugins that do the job as well? Sorry for the noob questions but I've read repeated posts & threads and failed to come up with anything resembling an answer.

THANKS!

Miguel
The above quote (Posted by Ripplinger) was in a post about 8 or 10 posts above yours. I just followed your link and in less than 10 seconds downloaded the file (following the instructions in the above quote).

By the way I own 6 different kindles all of which still work flawlessly!!

Last edited by alansplace; 01-11-2015 at 04:00 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #102
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Lucky you then, because I can replicate MiguelATF's problem.

The second time around, it finally agreed to download, but it took quite a while to agree to do so.

EDIT: Quite snappy response when I use the CLI (wget).

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-11-2015 at 03:50 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:12 AM   #103
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It seems that the file hosting site for the tools was down for a few hours. It's back up now.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #104
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It seems that the file hosting site for the tools was down for a few hours. It's back up now.
A common problem in our digital age I imagine. Along with errors in links that sometimes creep in.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:40 AM   #105
MiguelATF
MiguelATF began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Follow-up: Site up, Download successful

The site came up half a day later. I was able to access it and download the tools. Added the Plugin to Calibre and was successfully able to convert one of my Kindle books to the MOBI format. That's the good news....

The bad news is, the other book I tried to convert was a total fail - got messages saying that the DRM needed to be removed. Which is weird, since it (the DRM-stripping/conversion plug in, which operates automatically after being installed in Calibre) worked perfectly on another book.

I'm guessing the partial solution to this problem may be that no DRM-stripping (or De-DRM'ing) plugin or App is 100 % successful; apprently they work on some files....but not others.

But at least I've gotten the Plugin downloaded, installed & working.

Just thought I'd report this. CHEERS everyone, and thanks for the suggestions and comments.

Miguel
MiguelATF is offline   Reply With Quote