Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
Jary
Jary began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Some trouble with PRS-500 (enlarge text and darker)

Hello,

I bought the Sony Reader PSR-500 a few days ago. I have read the advanced guide in the reader but I experience some problem I can not resolve.

First of all, I did put some .PDF files on my reader, but I can't read them properly. Text is too small, and it is troo bright. I tried changing the size, but maximum is M, and it is still too tiny. I even tried to set it in horizental view, but it did not help much. I am wondering if any of you already experienced this problem, and know how I can set my text to be bigger and darker, from the viewer, or maybe on the .PDF file before sending it to the Reader.

Finally, I was wondering if there was any way to set the screen to be lightened up. I do not think there is, because it was not mentioned anywere, but I want to be sure, if you do not mind.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Jary
Jary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
Hi Jary,

This is an issue for all large scale i.e. letter and A4 sized pdf files.

There are many tools available to help you sort this out in the forum.

Rastafarien and Book Designer among them.

Take some time looking around the forums and wiki and you will hopefully find the resources that get you a decent result.

AndiR
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, Jary!

The screen may be the easier one to answer -- it does tend to lighten some with usage, but it's never going to be white. If you're in the neighborhood of a 10%~20% gray, you're doing good.

Your PDF question is more involved. It sounds like your PDF is formatted for an A4/Letter sized 'page.' The Reader takes whatever the PDF's 'page' size is, and scales it down to the size of its screen (Switching to 'M' crops the margins, but that's it, as you've discovered). There's just no way an A4 page (almost 14" diagonal) is going to be legible on a 6" diagonal screen.

There are a few options open to you. The best is if you have access to the creation of the PDF, either create it with 'pages' sized to the Reader's screen (there's some info on that here), or just use a different format, like RTF (if you need in-line pix, you can create your own LRF file using one of the many tools referenced around MR -- BookDesigner is a forum favorite).

If you don't have access to the pre-PDF source, then something like PDRastafarian, is your next bet. It'll slice-n-dice your PDF into chunks that fit on the screen.

If you want more details/discussion, you can get them fairly quickly by searching the Sony Reader sub forum for references to PDFs, that'll get you lots of info.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
Jary

Thank you for the answer both of you.

I am looking to resize the text to the reader screen, by editing my .PDF files. Some are made by me, so I should be able to set the correct size before making the .PDF files, for others, I am trying PDRastafarian.

There were a last question I forgot to ask you. When I change page, you see "a rest" of the previous page, and sometimes, it can be annoying to read the actual page. Anyway to improve this refresh please ?

NB: About Book Design: Is it in english because the website is not, and I can not read it. I can not easily find the link to download it either.

Last edited by Jary; 04-11-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
By "'a rest' of the previous page" do you mean ghosting (like a really faded out image of what was there before)? That's pretty common, but it is something that is most pronounced when the Reader's been idle for a while, and diminishes after a few page changes. There's not really anything other than that you can do about it -- most folks find it comparable to the 'show through' on paper pages.

For BookDesigner, the interface does have an English setting (my Russian is non-existent too ), you can find what you need to download in this thread -- the main install files are linked in the first post, but you'll need to look at the end of the thread for links to the updates (post 134 seems to have the most recent one at the moment).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
Jary

I have tried to change a .CHM file to a .PDF file, using ABC amber CHM converter. I did put size 8 x 11, and left, top, bottom and right margin to 2 mm each. I also set the normal text to 12 px. It looked a little better, but still hard to read, and mostly for text in italic and in brown color.

I did use the same program to get it into a .RTF file, using 14 px as normal text file this time. The size of the file was quite huge. On reader, I just could not open it. It said it was only 1 page.

--
I tried using PDRastafarian v 2.1.4. The file of the size was quite low after it. On the reader, it was not good using normal view, even in Medium or large size. Text was not fine yet, and it was not well centered. But when I turned it into horizontal view, it was quite nice to read (I think it is because I setted landscape mode without paying enough attention).

I'm looking forward for some advice if possible please, mostly for editing with ABC amber, because I can not get Book Designer so far

Thank you

Last edited by Jary; 04-11-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Jary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
By "'a rest' of the previous page" do you mean ghosting (like a really faded out image of what was there before)? That's pretty common, but it is something that is most pronounced when the Reader's been idle for a while, and diminishes after a few page changes. There's not really anything other than that you can do about it -- most folks find it comparable to the 'show through' on paper pages.

For BookDesigner, the interface does have an English setting (my Russian is non-existent too ), you can find what you need to download in this thread -- the main install files are linked in the first post, but you'll need to look at the end of the thread for links to the updates (post 134 seems to have the most recent one at the moment).
I was meaning ghost mode yes. I'll live on with it then :-)

Thanks I'm looking for the english version of Book Designer then. Thank you
Old 04-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
Jary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
By "'a rest' of the previous page" do you mean ghosting (like a really faded out image of what was there before)?
I was meaning ghost mode yes. I'll live on with it then :-)

Thanks I'm looking for the english version of Book Designer then. Thank you

NB: The first link to download gives me an error 404 :/

Last edited by Jary; 04-11-2007 at 03:46 PM.