Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why ePub 3?

Why create an ePub 3 eBook that really uses none of the ePub 3 specific features? What good does that do? I can't think of any good. It would actually be easier to create ePub 2 eBooks unless you need some ePub 3 feature.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
It can use more advanced semantic features that will help people with disadvantages. It can also hold audio and video legally (some epub2 try to extend with these). Furthermore, when properly created with guide and toc.ncx, then can easily be backwards compatible with epub2.

So the real question is why use still use "epub2" when you can create a fully backwards compatible "epub3" to support both markets and provide additional features if so desired and provide better semantic meaning support for disadvantaged readers.

Perhaps it is time to fully retire legacy "epub2" and work to make "epub4" something better for everyone.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
So the real question is why use still use "epub2" when you can create a fully backwards compatible "epub3" to support both markets and provide additional features if so desired and provide better semantic meaning support for disadvantaged readers.
Exactly.
You're not "fighting the good fight" by clinging desperately to EPUB2 just because there's nothing in your book that would require EPUB3.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Exactly.
You're not "fighting the good fight" by clinging desperately to EPUB2 just because there's nothing in your book that would require EPUB3.
Yep. It's just holding devices back. Epub 3 is 6 years old at this point and support is still lacking to non-existent in a lot of software and devices. That's kind of crap. I'm not expecting my eReader to handle video ever, but it's ridiculous that every reader can't handle RTL languages and vertical text at this point. Lack of MathML support is also seriously dampening the digital textbook market.

By clinging to epub 2 developers and manufactuers have no incentive to implement epub 3. Even if a lot of people will never notice or encounter an epub 3 feature it sucks for those that do need them.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm not talking about extra features of ePub 3. I'm asking why make ePub 3 that doesn't use any ePub 3 only features. That doesn't need to be ePub 3. That's easier to make as ePub 2. What advantage does ePub 3 give in this circumstance?

The problem for ePub 3 is that most ePub reading software doesn't implement ePub 3 enough or hardly at all. Take all those old Sony Readers out there. They'll never support ePub 3. One of the real reasons that ePub 3 has not taken off is Adobe and their new DRM. That forces people to stick with ADE 2.0.1 which is not ePub compatible.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-17-2017 at 04:09 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not talking about extra features of ePub 3. I'm asking why make ePub 3 that doesn't use any ePub 3 only features..
And we're asking "why not?" Every RMSDK-based reader out there can handle them. Why cling blindly to EPUB2 for no reason?
Old 09-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why create an ePub 3 eBook that really uses none of the ePub 3 specific features? What good does that do? I can't think of any good. It would actually be easier to create ePub 2 eBooks unless you need some ePub 3 feature.
I agree that is so and also add that it applies to the vast majority of books, eReaders and the needs of readers of the books too.

I am not sure the other respondents to your post are qualified to comment as they seem to not have the ability to understand and properly respond to your very specifically stated question . Perhaps they could start their own thread asking the unrelated question that they seem to want to ask here?

Last edited by AnotherCat; 09-17-2017 at 06:06 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I agree that is so and also add that it applies to the vast majority of books, eReaders and the needs of readers of the books too.

I am not sure the other respondents to your post are qualified to comment as they seem to not have the ability to understand and properly respond to your very specifically stated question . Perhaps they could start their own thread asking the unrelated question that they seem to want to ask here?
Actually, no. I'm quite qualified. And I understand the question perfectly. It's just that the question is utterly pointless.

What Jon (and apparently others) fail to understand is that "why make epub3s?" is just as random and pointless as "why not make epub3s?" So the answer to his question "why" is quite simple. It's "why not?"

The fact of the matter is, epub2 is no longer defacto. The majority of commercial epubs I buy from the major vendors are epub3 already. The few that aren't, get converted. Mostly because I prefer the epub3 rendering engine in my reading software. My epub library is quickly becoming entirely epub3. The fact that none of them contain any "epub3 specific features" (whatever the heck that even means) is entirely irrelevant.

My *.doc files all eventually became *.docx, even though the vast majority of them could have happily lived out their lives as *.doc (containing no features that .docx would enhance). Why? Because things change. And because I can.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-17-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Couldn't agree more. The newer rendering engines are generally better. Epub3s are becoming more prevalent for commercial distribution. The epub3 format allows you to do more, if you so desire, or you can simply make things backwards compatible for older epub2 only readers.

That is why we added epub3 generation support to Sigil while having it keep the guide and toc/ncx for backwards compatibility reasons. Creating an epub3 can now be as easy as creating an epub2 with almost no downsides and the added benefit of allowing newer devices and rendering engines.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:15 PM   #10
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I was reading your post I was thinking of asking you what the advantages of epub3 were for the vast majority of us until I got to -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
...My epub library is quickly becoming entirely epub3. The fact that none of them contain any "epub3 specific features" (whatever the heck that even means) is entirely irrelevant...
At which point I fell off my chair laughing and choking on my coffee as your own words then make the case for the reasoning behind the original poster's question; a question you seem to have dismissed as not worth asking.
As an aside, using a .doc versus .docx comparison with epub2 vs epub3 is not a good one. While for your usage the advantages of .docx seem to be not apparent, for other than casual users of .docx the advantages are very much apparent and very useful.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #11
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
As I was reading your post I was thinking of asking you what the advantages of epub3 were for the vast majority of us until I got to -

At which point I fell off my chair laughing and choking on my coffee as your own words then make the case for the reasoning behind the original poster's question; a question you seem to have dismissed as not worth asking.
As an aside, using a .doc versus .docx comparison with epub2 vs epub3 is not a good one. While for your usage the advantages of .docx seem to be not apparent, for other than casual users of .docx the advantages are very much apparent and very useful.
Yea, and epub 3 has plenty of features that are useful to a lot of users too just like .docx. Fixed layouts, more language support, more accessibility support, video & sound, MathML,better metadata etc.

Most Word documents could be written in .doc format too. I mean why not use .doc? Then I can open it on my Pentium laptop running Word 97 right?
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:44 PM   #12
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
...The newer rendering engines are generally better...
A genuine question, I have no axe to grind one way or the other, I am just interested in your constructive response to the original poster's question on this point -

Do the newer engines render epub2 better because of some specific ability arising out of meeting the epub3 standard, or do they just render epub2 better because they are more developed engines of greater competence (i.e. they would have delivered the same benefits to epub2 whether epub3 existed or not)?
Old 09-17-2017, 10:45 PM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Weeeeelllll....just from quickly reading the above posts:

1) New readers/devices that do support ePub3 can take advantage of the better rendering engines incorporated into those devices/apps.

2) It is very easy to make those devices backwards compatible so that those individuals with an ePub2 only device/app can still read it. (so there is no downside to creating it in ePub3 in the first place)

3) Oh yeah, and you can actually take advantage of those special ePub3 features if you care to.

Just my .02
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:08 AM   #14
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
...and, btw, IPDF is now in W3C. The ebook is changing into a online/offline digital publication with more W3C tools. ePub2 is slowing dying, it is better to be ready for next steps in ebook building. IMHO
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:31 AM   #15
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
...and, btw, IPDF is now in W3C. The ebook is changing into a online/offline digital publication with more W3C tools. ePub2 is slowing dying, it is better to be ready for next steps in ebook building. IMHO
Well, while I am certainly in the "why not" camp regarding epub3 (in theory, though not always in practice) I will never buy an "online/offline digital publication." An ebook has to be an offline affair. Period.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote