Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-19-2022, 10:26 AM   #16
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
@Ashjuk,
Thank you!

I will grab it.

I am thinking of creating an all inclusive dictionary that combines good words from both hunspell and myspell and then one based purely on scowl.

@Tex200ans, BTW, I am a lot less worried than KevinA about adding too many proper names as they must begin with an initial uppercase letter where as both cases are allowed if the base root word is in lower case unless flagged otherwise. So the chance of randomly hiding a more common word is much lower in the general case.

It is definitely a trade-off.

I will try to get something together this week or next.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
I have now uploaded the UK word list to my Google Drive (link as previous).

I checked these by opening the file in Word 2010 (set with UK spelling) and checking those that Word highlighted as misspelled.

I used the following as references to confirm validity.
https://www.lexico.com/
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/
and a digital copy of the OED
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:17 PM   #17
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have built a tentative new en_US .dic and .aff file that is meant to rival what Pages and Word accepts by merging the unmunched hunspell dictionary with the unmunched MySpell dictionary with Ashjuk's new additions for en_US.

I will then build various scowl based (60, 70, 80) wordlists and we can compare them.

I must say KevinA's scowl repo build process is not well designed to say the least. It uses symlinks everywhere which is a major no-no and then strips out all accents so that he can just rename the .aff and .dic to utf-8 when it really is latin-1 based and the accent characters could have been properly converted and kept. I do not want an "eclair" in the wordlist!
So even scowl has its drawbacks. A 6 line python program could have done the conversions from one encoding to another, He has to keep the latin-1 encoded files for munch and unmunch to work (as it needs 1 byte = 1 char rule for munch speed). This was the design to reduce dictionary sizes as many languages are based around one 8-bit encoding, latin-1, latin-2, etc.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-20-2022 at 12:00 PM.
Advert
Old 01-19-2022, 03:31 PM   #18
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi Ashjuk,

For the new en_GB dictionary, I should add the short list of new words you posted earlier to it, correct?

KevinH

Quote:
I have now uploaded the UK word list to my Google Drive (link as previous).

I checked these by opening the file in Word 2010 (set with UK spelling) and checking those that Word highlighted as misspelled.

I used the following as references to confirm validity.
https://www.lexico.com/
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/
and a digital copy of the OED
Old 01-20-2022, 04:11 AM   #19
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi Ashjuk,

For the new en_GB dictionary, I should add the short list of new words you posted earlier to it, correct?

KevinH
Kevin,

The list of new words could probably be added to both the US and UK dictionaries.

They were 'created' words that I felt have come into common usage in recent times. Photoshopped, for example, is regularly used to refer to an image that has been manipulated regardless of whether Photoshop was used or not.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:15 AM   #20
KevinH
Sigil Developer

FWIW, at the LibreOffice site they have a link to all of the en_* dictionaries in one .oxt (libreoffice extension, but really just a zip". That en_GB dictionary has over 90k root words in it. It mght be worth testing your checked UK words and new words list with it just to see how well it performs. Our cureent en_GB dictionary has only 30k root words where as most en_US have over 50k to 60k root words. So our en_GB dictionary may not be a good starting point at all.
Advert
Old 01-20-2022, 09:29 AM   #21
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like a good idea. With 90k root words in it I suspect a lot of the words in my list may well be present there.

Is it possible to use the the LibreOffice dictionaries in Sigil?
Old 01-20-2022, 10:03 AM   #22
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes,

The download link (top one) from here:

https://extensions.libreoffice.org/e...h-dictionaries

You can rename it to end with .zip and just unzip it.

In your Sigil Preferences folder you can put the en_GB.aff and en_GB.dic inside the existing hunspell_dictionaries folder and it should take precedence over the Sigil installed one.

You will probably need to restart Sigil so it finds your new dictionary and puts it first in the list.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:10 AM   #23
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I tried that on my machine with the new tentative en_US dictionary with your new words and the following line spellchecked as all correct:

Code:
<p>I bought a new iPhone and I use it to access Facebook all of the time.</p>
So placing the new dictionary files in your Sigil Preferences folder inside the hunspell_dictionaries folder did the trick and then starting up Sigil seems to work properly.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:46 AM   #24
Ashjuk
Fanatic

I downloaded and unzipped the dictionary files from LibreOffice.

Having had a quick look at the en.GB file in Word I am shocked. I would hazard a guess that nearly 50% of them Word classifies as misspelled, and from just the 'A's alone there are so many glaring errors that I really don't think it is fit for purpose. I kid you not there are entries like annefrank which surely should be Anne Frank.

It also looks like someone has just thrown a UK Gazetteer at it too as it's littered with obscure place names, some of which are clearly wrong. I came across Balcombe-Horley as an entry. As someone who lives near Balcombe and Horley I can assure you there is no such place as Balcombe-Horley, they are two separate towns about 10 miles apart from one another.

I've no idea who edits the LibreOffice dictionaries but if this is an example of what they are like then I would not advise anyone to use them.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:05 PM   #25
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Wow! That is good to know. I will *not use* the libreOffice (openoffice) latest english GB dictionary as a starting point. I will instead use Sigil's en_GB, augment it with scowl and add in from there.

When I get something useful, I will let you know for testing purposes.

Thanks!

Last edited by KevinH; 01-20-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:36 PM   #26
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Yes, definitely start with with you have now.

Merging the LibreOffice files would, in my opinion, be a big mistake given the number of errors I have come across having only just started to look at the en.GB file.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:47 PM   #27
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, here is one other official source of spellchecking. This one is used by Google itself for its chromium project.

https://chromium.googlesource.com/ch...s/heads/master

You can grab the en_GB.aff, and the en_GB.dic and there is even a delta (extra words file) called en_GB.dic_delta (extra words to add to the official dictionary).

I checked the sizes and the en_CA, en_US, and en_GB all have about 50,000 root words and all use pretty much the same .aff file with slight differences.

These word lists seem much better in root word size.

So if you get a chance please try out that en_GB set and see if it would be a better starting point than our older en_GB. It is also interesting to see look at the words in the .dic_delta file to see recent additions that are not in the main dictionary.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Update: See google version of en_GB zipped up attached for ease of access
Attached Files
File Type: zip google_en_GB.zip (190.5 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by KevinH; 01-20-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:19 PM   #28
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@Ashjuk,
One more question. It seems the en_GB can be built to support "ise" endings (ala The Times), or "ize" endings (ala the OED), or both.

Which would be best for general purpose use in Sigil?
Old 01-20-2022, 08:02 PM   #29
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Marco Pinto is the one who takes care of most en_GB lists nowadays:

https://github.com/marcoagpinto/aoo-mozilla-en-dict

From a quick look at his dictionary though, he also tends towards including nearly every word under the sun.

He also seems to be releasing monthly updates. (Compared to SCOWL's much slower, but thoroughly vetted releases.)

Another nice thing is his changelogs show exactly which words were added when:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ma...LO_2013%2B.txt

Quote:
@Ashjuk,
One more question. It seems the en_GB can be built to support "ise" endings (ala The Times), or "ize" endings (ala the OED), or both.

From everything I've seen over the years:
  • -ise is the default. (en-GB)
  • -ize (Oxford's endings) are a valid alternate though. (en-GB-oed OR en-GB-oxendict)
    • Typically optional. May or may not exist in most programs.
    • Note: Often, both -ise + -ize is smashed together into a single British. This is subpar + would lead to many more missed typos. See details below.

See:

especially the specs for:

This was out of BCP47:

Quote:
Grandfathered tags that do not match the 'langtag' production in the ABNF and would otherwise be invalid are considered 'irregular' grandfathered tags. With the exception of "en-GB-oed", which is a variant of "en-GB", each of them, in its entirety, represents a language.

Many of the grandfathered tags have been superseded by the subsequent addition of new subtags: each superseded record contains a 'Preferred-Value' field that ought to be used to form language tags representing that value. For example, the tag "art-lojban" is superseded by the primary language subtag 'jbo'.
and this was out of the IETF Language Subtag Registry:

Quote:
Type: grandfathered
Tag: en-GB-oed
Description: English, Oxford English Dictionary spelling
Added: 2003-07-09
Deprecated: 2015-04-17
Preferred-Value: en-GB-oxendict
Note: Marking that HTML lang within an EPUB though... I don't know how well supported non-region subtags are at all on actual devices. (I'm not aware of anyone testing them thoroughly, but I doubt they actually work well.)

- - -

From everything that I can recall, what typically happens across programs/apps is...

When you select your language, you'd have the big 2 choices:

1. English (American)
2. English (British)
-- -ise

Beyond that point, programs might include many of the main variants (Australian, Canadian, etc.).

... and then (very rarely included by default):

- English (Oxford/OED)
-- -ize

- - -

LibreOffice has theirs listed as:
  • English (US)
  • English (UK)
  • [... All the other country variants...]
  • English, OED Spelling (UK)

- - -

Word 2016 only has:
  • English (United States)
  • English (United Kingdom)
  • [... All the other country variants...]

No Oxford by default.

(No clue if this has changed in newer versions. I believe if you wanted Oxford dict, you'd have to grab third party dictionaries.)

From a quick test, it looks like "British" Word may accept all -ise + -ize endings. (But I think that's a poor idea. Again, see SCOWL with popularity+usage+levels-of-accepted-variants.)

- - -

Antidote, when you're selecting between English, gives 4 options:
  • American English
  • British English (-ise)
  • British English (Oxford: -ize)
  • Canadian English
    • (They're a Canadian-based company + they were originally started as a French grammarchecker, now have expanded into French+English.)

Note: I agree strongly with this separation. When trying to spellcheck/proof actual texts, books typically stick with a single spelling variant throughout (based on author/publisher location + Style Guide).

Mashing all endings together will cause you to MISS inconsistencies within a single text.

So Sigil, if deciding to go with the big 2 + Oxford, should:
  • analyze analyse
    • analyze analyse (en-US)
    • analyze analyse (en-GB)
    • analyze analyse (Oxford)
  • organization organisation
    • organization organisation (en-US)
    • organization organisation (en-GB)
    • organization organisation (Oxford)
  • realize realise
    • realize realise (en-US)
    • realize realise (en-GB)
    • realize realise (Oxford)

Quote:
[...] from just the 'A's alone there are so many glaring errors that I really don't think it is fit for purpose. I kid you not there are entries like annefrank which surely should be Anne Frank.

[...]

I've no idea who edits the LibreOffice dictionaries but if this is an example of what they are like then I would not advise anyone to use them.
Woof. I never took a closer look.

And that's also why it's important to... thoroughly double-check against real-life popularity/usage.

(Not like that guy in the Reddit post who said "Why not just accept everything from Wiktionary?" !!!)

Definitely report many of those errors to Marco's github and get those fixed!

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 01-20-2022 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Whoops, accidentally posted a WIP smaller version.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:02 AM   #30
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
@Ashjuk,

I will have a look at the Google file and report back what I find.

As for the -ise vs -ize debate I have always used -ise. This probably because (being nearly 72) that is the way I was taught.

Saying that I do understand that -ize is slowly creeping into common usage. This probably due to the fact that youngsters here in the UK nowadays are subjected to far more American content than my generation was at that age.

That is one thing I noted about the LibreOffice UK dictionary, there appeared to be both versions included.

Personally I would prefer Sigil to stick with the -ise convention, but I would understand if others would prefer to have both s and z.