Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #256
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
am i alone in thinking that it's reasonable for publishers to try and make money for just the first 8 weeks? this is the same thing that happens with movies in theatres. if they release dvds/blurays for purchase right away, theatre attendance will be reduced dramatically. why do you think publishers shouldn't do this? it's just for 8 weeks. is this too much to ask?
It seems reasonable to me. Some just get upset because it's the evil publishers who are doing it, or their ox is getting gored.

It is funny how the story has morphed as the details have slowly come out. Of course, McMillian has embargoed the libraries for 3 months sounds a lot more extreme than McMillian has embargoed ebooks for 3 months at libraries or McMillian will only sale 1 copy of an ebook to libraries for the first 3 months.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #257
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It seems reasonable to me. Some just get upset because it's the evil publishers who are doing it, or their ox is getting gored.

It is funny how the story has morphed as the details have slowly come out. Of course, McMillian has embargoed the libraries for 3 months sounds a lot more extreme than McMillian has embargoed ebooks for 3 months at libraries or McMillian will only sale 1 copy of an ebook to libraries for the first 3 months.
Also strange how Macmillan becomes McMillian

But yes, language can be abused to be "accurate" without being correct. Which of course can rile people up into a furor over the issue.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2019, 11:04 AM   #258
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:

Uh, it's eight weeks! It's like playing telephone.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #259
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Bookriot highlights one of the Panorama Project’s efforts:

“Panorama Picks is a project that aims to highlight the most popular books in libraries every quarter. The goal is to bring awareness to titles that fall outside the “bestsellers” label, with the idea that bookstores can take advantage of regional title interest and curate their stock to reach potential unmet reader needs....

https://bookriot.com/2019/10/30/most...EaJx39TUeVUihw

Macmillan CEO John Sargent’s new open letter to libraries (undated but I believe it’s from this morning—30 Oct):

http://view.mail.macmillan.com/?qs=b...fc228e30a0ba99
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:27 PM   #260
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
We decided to change our terms after a year of talking, listening, testing, and analyzing. We looked at two separate issues: 1) the difference in the revenue we get between a lend and a sale and 2) the perceived value of a book upon publication (when its value is highest).
Which would back up my belief that the embargo Tor had a year ago created data which Macmillan used to inform them of the decision.

The letter as a whole does a fairly good job in deflating the libraries claims too. Though I’ll admit I was in the publishers corner from the start so they don’t need to try as hard to convince me that the library is wrong.
Advert
Old 10-30-2019, 03:12 PM   #261
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Also strange how Macmillan becomes McMillian

But yes, language can be abused to be "accurate" without being correct. Which of course can rile people up into a furor over the issue.
Damnit Jim, I'm a programmer, not an English major!

I blame it all on the speel checkor.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #262
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Damnit Jim, I'm a programmer, not an English major!

I blame it all on the speel checkor.
Ha, I’ll forgive this if y’all forgive me repeating 4691mls‘s misstatement of 90 days and thus aiding in that whole confusion. Theirs was the earliest I could find anyway.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #263
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Ha, I’ll forgive this if y’all forgive me repeating 4691mls‘s misstatement of 90 days and thus aiding in that whole confusion. Theirs was the earliest I could find anyway.
Sorry MGlitch and all - on looking back over the thread I think I must have misread a post a page or two before mine that mentioned both the two-month waiting period and a three-month wait time in the same paragraph - I guess I got the two time periods mixed up. It was unintentional and I certainly didn't mean to derail the thread!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:20 PM   #264
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Sorry MGlitch and all - on looking back over the thread I think I must have misread a post a page or two before mine that mentioned both the two-month waiting period and a three-month wait time in the same paragraph - I guess I got the two time periods mixed up. It was unintentional and I certainly didn't mean to derail the thread!
Oh I think I derailed the thread way more than adding 30 days to the embargo did 😏
Old 10-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #265
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You mean I can blame someone else for that blunder? Sweet!
Old 10-31-2019, 12:23 AM   #266
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
thanks for the link: http://view.mail.macmillan.com/?qs=b...fc228e30a0ba99

I do think the perpetual digital copy is a sweet deal for libraries. I have borrowed quite a few ebooks that the library had only one copy of, and I bet the only reason they still have it is because of the perpetual license.

It also doesn't bother me in the least that a library system will have to wait 8 weeks for more ebooks. However, I do think the Libraries feel they are being cut off from serving their clients, and having the community value the library due to the service they provide is the only way they library can survive. McMillans policy interferes with how libraries prefer to operate. I do not think McMillan's policy will actually hurt libraries, just annoy them. Escalating property taxes is something that will hurt the libraries, since eventually the high cost of running a library will be targeted by taxpayers no matter how many new release ebooks they have.

I do find it curious that McMillan feels that easy lending that pleases the library patrons is a bad thing. They want borrowing a book to cause you some sort of cost or inconvenience, as if waiting weeks or months isn't "friction" enough for you. It almost seems like the message is that they "tolerate" library sales and lending for those who are willing to jump through hoops.

I rarely seek out new releases, so another 8 weeks to whatever wait list that will form will not be noticed by myself even if I did look for a new release. Which also means I do not see McMillans policy change generating a sale to myself, and predict that the hoped for increase in sales after the policy change will not be significant. If I am wrong, look for other publishers to copy McMillan.

Last edited by Tomk2; 10-31-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:18 AM   #267
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
You mean I can blame someone else for that blunder? Sweet!
I certainly either started or repeated it, I'm not sure which.
I think we can spread the blame around
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:21 AM   #268
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
I do find it curious that McMillan feels that easy lending that pleases the library patrons is a bad thing. They want borrowing a book to cause you some sort of cost or inconvenience, as if waiting weeks or months isn't "friction" enough for you. It almost seems like the message is that they "tolerate" library sales and lending for those who are willing to jump through hoops.
It would be interesting what they would think of a policy that didn't limit the number of licenses available, but required you to go to the library to download the eBook. Would re-adding the friction of borrowing paper books be enough of a deterrent?
(I'm not suggesting this as a sensible option, just a thought experiment of how much friction is required to remove their concerns.)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:22 AM   #269
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
It would be interesting what they would think of a policy that didn't limit the number of licenses available, but required you to go to the library to download the eBook. Would re-adding the friction of borrowing paper books be enough of a deterrent?
(I'm not suggesting this as a sensible option, just a thought experiment of how much friction is required to remove their concerns.)
Sometimes you have to think about what the core issues really are.

I think that a lot of libraries have some financial pressure on them as cities are starting to have budget issues and thus are looking for ways to stay relevant in the voters' eyes. I suspect that has as much to do with their angst over the move as anything else.

From a publisher's point of view, they know that book sales tend to be very front loaded, so they want to maximize books sales during that period. I also suspect, based on the fact that they used Tor as the experiment, the publisher isn't trying to protect the super best seller that everyone is talking about, but rather what I like to call the mid-tier author, the ones who have a nice steady record of solid selling books, i.e. 30K-50K with a few books that actually make the best seller list. They are the authors for whom a few thousand sales can make the difference between earning out and not earning out and they are the authors who represent the backbone of a publisher's business.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:15 AM   #270
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post

And what about the current library trend of eliminating late fees? Now it doesnt cost you anything to return a book late. Does that remove too much "friction?" Or do publishers want books returned late so fewer patrons can read it and waits grow longer? My only disdain for the publishers is a direct reflection of the disdain they have for library patrons.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote