Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Looking for Volunteers for New Chapters for Sigil User's Guide

Hi All,

EDIT: The update is now complete as of March 12th, 2021

Given the feature and ui changes, Sigil's User Guide really really needs updating and some new chapters added.

The possible new chapters relate to:

1. Sigil's new Icon themes including what each icon means in each set, how to select one of the pre-installed icon themes in Preferences and how to set your own custom icon theme. (Edit: Done in Custom UI chapter)

2. An improved discussion of Plugins for users. Including where to find them, how to install them, how to remove them, how to assign icons to plugin placeholders, etc. Perhaps including a very brief summary of some of the major plugins out there: epubcheck, flightcrew, KindleImport, ODTImport, Kindlegen, epub3-itizer, Access-Aide, etc, etc. (Edit: To be handled in Manage Plugins Chapter)

3. A chapter on changing an epub's internal folder names and paths, moving and renaming files using move and rename and the regular expression renaming. How to change file extensions, how to "standardize to old Sigil's folder structure", how to create a default custom empty epub. (Edit: Handled in various places but more could be done about Custom Default Layouts in a future version of the user guide).

And on top of all of that, we have updated the photos and modernize all existing chapters to show the existing menu structure and functions while keeping the wonderful existing tutorials on clips, and indexing and other things.

So if anyone would like to help give back to Sigil, updating just one existing chapter or adding just one new chapter would be a wonderful way to give back and help others all at the same time!

As a standard we can all use the default main icon set for any images so that new users are shown a consistent interface.

So if anyone is willing to help with just one chapter, please post to this thread which one you are willing to take lead on (current chapter or proposed) so duplication of efforts is minimized.

I will do all of the merging back into the user manual to help make things easier.

The very latest user's guide can be found in repository form here:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/sigil-user-guide

and in epub form can be found attached to this post as:

Sigil_User_Guide_2021.03.18_epub3.epub

Thanks to all volunteers who have helped!
KevinH

-- Update --

A repository with some updated screenshots is available here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...E03ldjIG-Cvks7

All chapters have now been claimed and edited and a final cleanup has been done. It should be final.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Sigil_User_Guide_2021.03.18_epub3.epub (5.67 MB, 167 views)

Last edited by KevinH; 03-16-2021 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Adding link to current epub version
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:25 PM   #2
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I would like very much to contribute, but in reading the current User Manual, I realize how much of a Sigil novice I am. There are a lot features I don't understand, and even more that I never use. (I just use Sigil to tweak epubs to my liking.)

If there aren't enough volunteers, I can probably make some basic updates to basic chapters (perhaps with some blanks for more advanced users to fill). I figure basic updates are better than no updates at all? But it's probably better to wait a bit and see if more advanced users volunteer, since inaccurate updates from me would be worse than no updates.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2021, 03:40 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even just recreating the existing chapter images as closely as possible via well done screen captures and some editing if needed would be a big help.

If you use the existing image file name then I can copy them to overwrite what is there now one for one. Please use the default main icon set and light (not dark) mode for consistency.

Just updating the images of one or a couple chapters would help.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:55 PM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay. I'm thinking of taking the first two Features chapters: "User Interface" and "Preferences". Would that make sense?

When I'm done, can I send you the complete working epub with the updated chapters for you to extract? Or do you just want me to send you the updated chapter files and new images? I'm not sure best way to do this. Also, I don't understand GitHub.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:02 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Just zip up any modified files and post them as an attachment to this thread so that everyone can see them. I will merge them into the repository myself.

Thanks for helping out!
Advert
Old 02-10-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
odamizu
just an egg

Okay, I will work on: User Interface and Preferences
Old 02-11-2021, 05:12 AM   #7
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
As much as I would love to help out I stumble around in the dark most of the time with Sigil as it is, so I doubt I would be able to provide anything better than you have now.

However, I do have screen capturing software that can capture selected areas of the screen. So if someone needs some screen shots done to go with their text, I am more than happy to help.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:01 AM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Thanks! Anything would help. FWIW, there are a few chapters that need no text changes and just updating the screen shots would be enough.

For those willing to help, we can make an early pre-release version of Sigil 1.5.0 Beta available to make screenshots with.

Thank you.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
As much as I would love to help out I stumble around in the dark most of the time with Sigil as it is, so I doubt I would be able to provide anything better than you have now.

However, I do have screen capturing software that can capture selected areas of the screen. So if someone needs some screen shots done to go with their text, I am more than happy to help.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:28 AM   #9
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Thanks! Anything would help. FWIW, there are a few chapters that need no text changes and just updating the screen shots would be enough.

For those willing to help, we can make an early pre-release version of Sigil 1.5.0 Beta available to make screenshots with.

Thank you.

Kevin
OK - I will have a look at the existing manual's screen shots and compare them with the current version of Sigil.

If any need updating I will upload the new image to an image hosting site for anyone to download.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #10
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
... For those willing to help, we can make an early pre-release version of Sigil 1.5.0 Beta available to make screenshots with.
I'm game. If you think it makes sense to use Sigil 1.5.0 Beta for the updates, let me know how to download. Otherwise I'll use 1.4.3.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@odamizu, you want the macOS version, correct? I will PM you the link.

Ashjuk, are you using Windows or macOS?

Any Linux users who volunteer will have to build from source.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited by KevinH; 02-11-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #12
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
@odamizu, you want the macOS version, correct? I will PM you the link.
Yes macOS. Got it, thanks! I probably won't be able to start working on this until next week. Also, if it goes well (i.e., I don't get too befuddled by what I don't know), I would be willing to take on more chapters. But let me start with User Interface and Preferences.

Would it make sense, in the first post, to add a running list of chapters people are working on to avoid duplication of efforts?
Old 02-11-2021, 05:16 PM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, Good idea. I will add the list of chosen chapters to the first post.
Thanks,

Kevin
Old 02-11-2021, 05:19 PM   #14
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
3. An improved discussion of Plugins for users. Including where to find them, how to install them, how to remove them, how to assign icons to plugin placeholders, etc. Perhaps including a very brief summary of some of the major plugins out there: epubcheck, flightcrew, KindleImport, ODTImport, Kindlegen, epub3-itizer, Access-Aide, etc, etc.
Feel free to use anything I've ever written/screenshotted.

Here's that great "How to Install/Use Plugins" post I wrote a few weeks ago:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...47#post4088447

Another thing that should be emphasized is setting the "Plugin #" buttons.

I was discussing that post over webcam with an author, and he told me he "didn't even know assigning a plugin to those buttons was even possible"!

So my post really helped him get better at Sigil.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-11-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:31 AM   #15
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
Ashjuk, are you using Windows or macOS?
Windows 10.

I have made a start and I am saving them as jpg files.

I will upload them to a shared Google Drive folder where they can be accessed by anyone who needs them.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...s7?usp=sharing