Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
kdittyr
uber noob
kdittyr began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iPhone
Nook WiFi for $149???

WiFi-only Nook surfaces in Barnes and Noble database, costs $149?

Not sure if anyone has seen this, or if it is even true... I guess we will see on Tuesday.
kdittyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Full link for those that don't like hidden/re-direct links...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/20/w...ase-costs-149/

Looks interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing some specs.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
ks-man
ks-man began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I was thinking about going and buying one tomorrow for my wife. I guess I should wait a few days first. I like the $50 coupon for books, but a $110 price break for giving up 3G is much better in my mind.
ks-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdittyr View Post
WiFi-only Nook surfaces in Barnes and Noble database, costs $149?

Not sure if anyone has seen this, or if it is even true... I guess we will see on Tuesday.
I'd heard rumors this would be the price point for it as long ago as three or four months back... so it makes sense to me.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #5
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-man View Post
I was thinking about going and buying one tomorrow for my wife. I guess I should wait a few days first. I like the $50 coupon for books, but a $110 price break for giving up 3G is much better in my mind.
Will they still give the $50 coupon with the reduced price?

Somehow, I doubt it.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
digitalmikeoz
digitalmikeoz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Actualy i saw in my local best buy they had an ad corection noticed posted that the $50 gift card offer was being replaced by a new lower price of $199 starting monday.
digitalmikeoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:58 AM   #7
digitalmikeoz

Heres best buys link with the new prices:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Barnes+%...nook&cp=1&lp=1

and the wifi only version

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Barnes+%...nook&cp=1&lp=2
Old 06-21-2010, 05:01 AM   #8
digitalmikeoz

Heres best buys link with the new prices:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Barnes+%...nook&cp=1&lp=1

and the wifi only version

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Barnes+%...nook&cp=1&lp=2
Old 06-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
kdittyr
uber noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Full link for those that don't like hidden/re-direct links...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/20/w...ase-costs-149/
D'oh! Sorry and thanks
This has been confirmed, and they have included a software update that adds Goto Page (which was holding me back from purchasing one... until now)
Check out more info: http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/21/bn-...-price-to-199/
Old 06-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Now listed on B&N...

Nook Wi-Fi $149
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/i...&cds2Pid=30919

Nook 3G & Wi-Fi $199
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/i...&cds2Pid=30919
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
Wow, this could not have come at a better time for me! I just came back from a 2 week business trip to Asia and my nook did not survive the trip. It took a sharp hit from something in my computer bag right to the touchscreen and cracked it, even with the Industriell cover protecting it.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think Kobo is going to be in trouble. The Kobo has less going for it then the nook and at the same price, I think the nook will sell better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
DannyElfman
Groupie
DannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung E60
149$ a 6" reader with wifi ?!

... it's a shame it will take ages before we see one in Europe

Thanks to the info though !
DannyElfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
kdittyr
uber noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmar View Post
It took a sharp hit from something in my computer bag right to the touchscreen and cracked it, even with the Industriell cover protecting it.
Ouch, sorry to hear that, now I guess the question is: do you get the WiFi only? Or do you go with the "original flavor?"

I don't yet have an ereader (other than my phone which doesn't count in my opinion). I have been interested in and looked at quite a few: Kobo, PRS-600, PRS-900, nook, Kindle 2, Kindle DX and a few others I have seen on this board. The world was my oyster, yet for some reason I kept coming back to the nook. I am hoping that this announcement pushes Sony to release information regarding their next releases... if there are any planned for this year. I would like to make up my mind before my July 4th trip to see my parents, hopefully with new ereader in tow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think Kobo is going to be in trouble. The Kobo has less going for it then the nook and at the same price, I think the nook will sell better.
Yeah, no kidding. Although, it may become a sub $100 reader... If that were the case, and if they can release some updates that make it a little better piece of hardware, they may crack open the market a little bit. We'll just have to see.

Last edited by kdittyr; 06-21-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I was actually impressed with the nook at $259. I never use the 3G so I would have loved a Wi-Fi only version for $150. At that price it is easily the best reader on the market.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote