Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2021, 04:35 PM   #61
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
USB-A is no longer the standard with many modern laptops. Perhaps it still is with desktops; I don't know. I don't have a desktop and actually don't even know anyone who has. Most folks use only laptops these days, at least where I live.
Good point. I have a Microsoft Surface Go and it only has USB-C.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:37 PM   #62
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
I also think typical users of eReaders don't sideload very often
Yeah, right.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #63
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Yeah, right.
People on this site? Seems like a lot sideload every single book. People I know in real life with eReaders? Just buy everything off Kobo/Kindle store.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:03 PM   #64
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Yeah, right.
They likely aren’t wrong. These forums are a bad guide for typical behavior. We’re the fringe group of a fringe group. Unless you count side loading library books, though for many overdrive being built in has removed that as a factor.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:03 PM   #65
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
People on this site? Seems like a lot sideload every single book. People I know in real life with eReaders? Just buy everything off Kobo/Kindle store.
Very true. Anyone who thinks the inhabitants of these forums are typical users is sadly mistaken.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #66
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
USB-A is no longer the standard with many modern laptops. Perhaps it still is with desktops; I don't know. I don't have a desktop and actually don't even know anyone who has. Most folks use only laptops these days, at least where I live.
Many is a hard number to quantify(for me). Care to try a percent of modern laptops? I looked at some new laptops from Bestbuy, and they had USB A ports. I would guess that there are more modern laptops with USB A ports then USB-C ports.

I have a modern laptop, and it has three USB-A ports and one USB-C port.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:57 PM   #67
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Indeed. Buying books from the Kindle/Kobo Store and THEN sideloading them? try explaining that to "regular" ereader users
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:29 PM   #68
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Even still plenty have laptops both A and C ports. I also think typical users of eReaders don't sideload very often so connecting to their PC isn't as important as working with that old phone charger lying around.
I had a look at one of the local stores and checked the specs of the first ten or so Windows based laptops they listed. All of them had USB-A ports. And less than half had USB-C. This was across multiple brands including Dell, HP, ACER, ASUS and LG. I didn't look at the Apples, Chromebooks or the Microsoft Surface.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:32 PM   #69
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Very true. Anyone who thinks the inhabitants of these forums are typical users is sadly mistaken.
Yep. We are bibliophile bookworm geeks.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:09 AM   #70
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Yep. We are bibliophile bookworm geeks.
In the opinion of many, many of us are actually bibliophobes, since they say it ain't a book if it ain't carved into the dessicated flesh of a murdered tree.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If your PC has no USB-C ports, that would mean you need an adapter to connect your Kobo to your computer.

What ports your PC has, depends on the model and the year. It varies. Dell has used USB-C on their computers for a while now, but not all brands have done the same.
Nope. USB-C to USB-A cable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:04 AM   #72
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
The Elipsa came with a USB-C to USB-A cable, there's no reason for the Sage / Libra 2 to be any different.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #73
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
The Elipsa came with a USB-C to USB-A cable, there's no reason for the Sage / Libra 2 to be any different.
Oh well. I guess I'll have to stock up on a few USB-C/USB-C cables then. I have one for connecting my monitor, but it would be too much bother to remove it every time I want to connect the Sage.

Two of my older laptops do have USB-A ports alongside USB-C, but they're not my daily drivers anymore.

And yes, of course one could say why buy a USB-C only laptop when you have several ereaders you want to connect to it. The thing is, at the time I bought that laptop (Dell XPS) it was the only one with the 16:10 screen ratio, which is what I need. 16:9 is fit only for videos and movies, while 3:2 is a bit too narrow.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #74
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
As a big fan of the KA1, a brief glimpse of the Kobo Sage gives a favorable reaction.

What are the opinions of folks here?
Well, I have a Libra H2O and I very much like it. I'm looking at the new Kobo and Kindle. For the first time in a very long time, I don't see why I would buy a new one. My Libra has all the features I need, except maybe USB-C. I don't see myself buying a heavier ereader.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:21 PM   #75
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Thanks. My impulse control isn't what it should be, so I don't think I'll be able to wait that long.

I've given up on Kobo cases though. The last one I liked was the red flip-style one for the Clara. Later ones I tried all seemed to be flimsy, and some had bubbled and mottled surfaces. I don't care for the Origami style because it never seems to work as well as a separate stand -- and I have lots of those in many styles and sizes

I agree about hating the origami covers, and wish they'd just switch to a cover without "flop" factor. As is, I do not fold mine EVER, in order to keep them as rigid as I can. But other than the origami biz, I've been pleased with them. Like you, I have plenty of separate stands which work much better.

I've tried cheap alternate covers, they always have something that makes them a "no go" and waste of money. The Kobo cases feel good in my hands. And seem to hold up well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote