Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2022, 04:13 AM   #1
mortimer7
Connoisseur
mortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad, Kobo Aura 6"
Question Font size in "pocket"

Hello folks, i have a question:
I have noticed that when I change the font size on "pocket" articles, the size in normal books is also changed. it's annoying. can this be prevented?
mortimer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:00 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer7 View Post
Hello folks, i have a question:
I have noticed that when I change the font size on "pocket" articles, the size in normal books is also changed. it's annoying. can this be prevented?
If there is a solution, I have not found it. And yes, it is annoying.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2022, 02:13 PM   #3
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Very annoying indeed.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:06 PM   #4
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I just got my first Kobo (Libra 2) and noticed that I have to change font sizes for each book. One book it looks fine another and it's like a large print book!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:08 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
I just got my first Kobo (Libra 2) and noticed that I have to change font sizes for each book. One book it looks fine another and it's like a large print book!
The way the font selection is done on Kobo devices:

Firstly, there is an in-built default. That will be used for any new book until the first time you change the font settings while reading.

When you open a book and change the font settings, they are stored in the database for that book. If you close and open the book, the font setting for that book are used.

When you change the font settings, they are stored in the config file as your new defaults. If you open a new book, or one that doesn't have saved font settings, these are used.

This applies to all formats that allow font settings to be changed. That applies to most book formats. It does not apply to comics (CBR or CBZ) or PDF. And if there are other formats that do not allow font changes, it will not apply to them either.

The annoying problem with this is that the font scaling in epubs and kepubs is different. That means that if you set the font size to the same position on the slider for both formats, one is larger than the other. Exactly how big the difference is depends on the device and its resolution or screen size. That means that if you read an epub, set the font size to what you want, then open a new kepub, you will need to adjust the size. And if you open an epub after that, you will have to adjust the size again. If you always use the same format, this is not an issue.

The other problem is that many books set a font size. This is respected by the device. How well it works depends on how the book sets the size. If the size is absolute, such as "px" or "pt", then that size is used (though I haven't tested that recently). If the size is relative, such as "em" or percent, then it basically acts as a multiplier for the font size you choose. If one book has size set to "1em" (the default if not specified) and another has the size set to "2em", then the latter will show text twice the size as the first. This is not a fault of the device. It is the fault of the publishers and book creators (who might be the author), the tools they use and the defaults they choose. We want the device/app to be able to set font sizes based on what is in the book (for titles or other emphasis) but the the size should not be set for the standard paragraph.

And as this thread is about Pocket articles, this also applies to Pocket articles. The last font setting you chose is used and if you change them, they are saved both for use when reading the article later, and for the next book or article you open.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2022, 02:38 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Kobo can go a long way to remedy this by keeping separate settings for epub kepub and pocket. In addition, they probably need to add a "set as defaul" check box somewhere. Yes this does add a bit of complexity, but sometimes avoiding complexity just leads to different kinds of complexity and frustration
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:35 AM   #7
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Kobo can go a long way to remedy this by keeping separate settings for epub kepub and pocket. In addition, they probably need to add a "set as defaul" check box somewhere. Yes this does add a bit of complexity, but sometimes avoiding complexity just leads to different kinds of complexity and frustration
That would be perfect!
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote