Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
Carrigboy
Carrigboy began at the beginning.

Device: none
sigil 7.4 and maverick crashing crashing crashing

I've just updated to OSX 10.9.4 maverick and so had to download Sigil 7.4

It's crashing all over the place. On editing code, on changing from code view to book view, on editing the toc, the metadata, on adding files , deleting files.
It's almost unusable. Please somebody help. I don't want to have to use Calibre (don't like it), or Textwrangler. I Like Sigil but this is driving me mad.

In this latest I'm trying to strip a book down for a sample and I just can't delete anything. it allows me to select the xhtml files, then select delete from the dropdown, it then displays the files marked for deletion, then either crashes there, or more often when I then confirm the delete, and sometimes it deletes them but crashes before I can save.

I'm thinking of dumping Maverick and going back to 'Lion' (or 'Leopard' or 'Gerbil' or whatever its bloody silly name is) and my trusty Sigil 7.2. And yes I am getting hysterical!

I'm adding the top text from the last few crash reports. I can't read them myself, but they seem the most relevant bits. Hope they mean something to somebody. Thanks, Simon.

----------------------------------------

when deleting chapters (xhtml files from .../Text)

Process: Sigil [448]
Path: /Applications/Sigil 7.4.app/Contents/MacOS/Sigil
Identifier: com.sigil-ebook.Sigil.app
Version: 0.7.4 (0.7.4)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [153]
Responsible: Sigil [448]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2014-07-09 16:37:27.806 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: 038FDEE8-79A6-8D22-61C3-CD3120512368

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0xffffffff00000008

VM Regions Near 0xffffffff00000008:
--> shared memory 00007ffffff3c000-00007ffffff3d000 [ 4K] r-x/r-x SM=SHM

__________________________________________________ __________

When trying to delete them again

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000b2060d49d

VM Regions Near 0xb2060d49d:
CG shared images 00000001c871f000-00000001c8727000 [ 32K] r--/r-- SM=SHM
-->
JS JIT generated code 00002ca038c00000-00002ca038c01000 [ 4K] ---/rwx SM=NUL

when trying to merge files before deleting

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000071

VM Regions Near 0x71:
-->
__TEXT 000000010c394000-000000010cd13000 [ 9724K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Sigil 7.4.app/Contents/MacOS/Sigil

when trying to delete a single xhtml

Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 QtGui 0x000000010c73eb64 QWindow::handle() const + 4

__________________________________________________ ___________

after restarting and trying to delete multiple xhtml

0 QtWidgets 0x00000001023c298d QWidget::mapFromGlobal(QPoint const&) const + 45

__________________________________________________ ___________

when trying to delete from another validated and ok epub to replicate error

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000071

VM Regions Near 0x71:
-->
__TEXT 00000001045c8000-0000000104f47000 [ 9724K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Sigil 7.4.app/Contents/MacOS/Sigil

0 QtWidgets 0x0000000105331991 QWidget::mapFromGlobal(QPoint const&) const + 49

and on and on and on ad nauseum

Deep Breaths
Carrigboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:15 AM   #2
Carrigboy

Can nobody help?

Sigil is just crashing all over the place. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why. on deleting files, editing the toc or metadate changing to book view/code view etc etc.

This book was working fine before updating to maverick and sigil 7.4. It validated and displayed well on ade, and on ibooks on my ipad, and on kindle previewer, and on my kindle. But now it is almost impossible to work with. and not just this particular book, but others that are finished, done and dusted.

I've (obviously) read the other threads on maverick and sigil 7.4 crashing (ie –
0.7.4 on Maverick crashing Geoff_C8 Sigil 6 01-17-2014 05:40 AM
Sigil keeps crashing kksdragons Sigil 18 11-14-2013 10:20 AM

)

– but I'm really stuck here and would appreciate some help.

Thanks
Simon
Advert
Old 07-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Have you tried reinstalling the application?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
Carrigboy

yes

and deleting it from the system, re-downloading and re-installing it.

while editing the code and or the css seems ok most of the time, and validates ok

but any file operation - delete font or image, new image, delete or new or edit any toc item, delete or new or edit any metadata - crashes sigil. on old known good epubs, and new from sigil

also has crashed after validating and during save

I've used the disk utility to find errors/clean but no diffs.

I've also found out that getting rid of maverick and reinstalling lion is probably beyond me.

any ideas?
Old 07-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What about deleting the sigi.ini file? That usually survives a normal uninstall/reininstall and has been the instigator of (and the fix for) many a crash in the past.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
Carrigboy

I thought you might have had it there DiapDealer.

I had looked for something like that in the preferences folder, but found the .ini's in the library/application support/sigil-ebook (which searchlight, for some reason, couldn't find searching for 'sigil').

I deleted it, and the app, restarted, re-installed the app which re-created the sigil-ebook file, and opened a known 'good' book - my dad's get-off-the-grid biog, which is on amazon and ibooks.
I edited some code, ok; swapped a few chapters around, ok; and added a role to the metadata when it crashed. I wish I'd never installed 'maverick' (bloody silly name)

crash log header below.

Process: Sigil [342]
Path: /Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/MacOS/Sigil
Identifier: com.sigil-ebook.Sigil.app
Version: 0.7.4 (0.7.4)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [158]
Responsible: Sigil [342]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2014-07-14 17:20:36.137 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: 038FDEE8-79A6-8D22-61C3-CD3120512368

Old 07-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sorry ... that's all I had.
It's unfortunate that development on Sigil came to a bit of a standstill at about the same time that Maverick started gaining traction.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:23 AM   #8
Carrigboy

well thanks for having a look, I appreciate it.

Guess it's Calibre then.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

I have checked out the very latest sources (with boost fixes) and built cmake, and I am now checking out the latest QT 5.3.1 and I am running Mavericks OSX 10.9.4 with all of the latest tools.

I will give building it a go and if successful and if the application seems stable, I would be happy to post the .dmg to one of the free file upload sites for you to grab and use.

I know that is a lot of "ifs" but I have not built Sigil from source since I helped add the dc metadata support which was literally ages ago.

I'll let you know if I get something workable / usable out of it.

Hope this helps,

Edit: I have it now working and have installed from the Sigil.dmg and it at least fires up. I will test it and see if it is at all stable and let you know.

Take care,

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 07-15-2014 at 02:39 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi,

Okay I tested my Sigil.dmg build on Mac OS X 10.9.4 and had no problems. Admittedly, my entire testing session only ran for 15 minutes but I was able to work editing html, deleting files, editing metadata, editing content.op, etc. all with no crashes or problems.

So if anyone wants to try my Sigil.dmg or would like my help walking you through building it on your own Mac OS X 10.9.X machine, I would be happy to do that.

Just let me know.

Here are the instructions for building it from Source on Mac OS X, 10.9.X:

1. Make sure you have the latest XCode and command-line tools available for free from Apple. You can get XCode 5.0.1 from the App store and can force the install of the command line tools by running the following comand in a Terminal

Code:
xcode-select --install
2. From: http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html
download cmake-3.0.0.tar.gz and double-click to unarchive it

Code:
cd cmake-3.0.0
./bootstrap
make
sudo make install

3. download the latest Qt 5.3.X version from:
http://qt-project.org/downloads

Download the recommended online installer for your platform and accept the default path to where it wants to install things.

This is typically: /Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Qt

4. checkout the latest Sigil source code using svn

Code:
mkdir master
svn co https://github.com/user-none/Sigil/trunk/ master
mkdir build
3. do the build

Code:
cd build

export PATH=${PATH}:/Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Qt/5.3/clang_64/bin

cmake -DFORCE_BUNDLED_COPIES=1 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Qt/5.3/clang_64/lib/cmake ../master
make
make addframeworks
make makedmg
During make: addframeworks and make makedmg you may see the following error message:

ERROR: no file at "/opt/local/lib/mysql55/lib/libmysqlclient.18.dylib"

This can be ignored but is really a dependency bug in macdeployqt of a library that has been left out of the Qt install, but one we don't need.

4. Grab the Sigil.dmg file from the build/bin/ subdirectory. You should be good to go.

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 07-15-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:46 AM   #11
Carrigboy

hi Kevin,

I'm afraid about 90% of that went clear over my head and I am simply not confident enough to build it on my machine. I don't even know what that means exactly!

Does this mean that there will be an update to sigil 7.4?

Simon
Old 07-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi,
That means someone is still doing some upkeep in the main trunk and committing some changes so there will probably be a 0.7.5 at some point.

It also means that I have a freshly compiled version of Sigil for OSX 10.9.4 that I am willing to post for you to try to see if all of the crashing has stopped.

Alternatively, I would be willing to lead you through building your own copy if you would prefer.

Kevin
Old 07-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi Carrigboy,

Just in case it would help you, I have posted my Sigil.dmg build to the free file hosting service datafilehost.

Datafilehost being "free" tries to "trick" people to hit links that help support their site.

SO BE CAREFUL ... To prevent yourself from getting things you definitely do NOT want ...

BEFORE DOWNLOADING: **UNCHECK** the "Use our download manager ..."

***ONLY*** use the SMALLER grey Download button on the left side!!!!

The right side huge Download button is an advertisement maybe with nasty stuff attached to it.

AND BEFORE double-clicking anything you download from that site, remember to check its md5sum to make sure it matches exactly what was uploaded byte for byte (ie. there were no changes/additions to the file):

To do that run Terminal.app and simply do the following after placing the Sigil.dmg on your Desktop.

cd ~/
cd Desktop
md5 Sigil.dmg

Verify that it EXACTLY matches the following:

MD5 (Sigil.dmg) = Edit: Deleted as file has been removed

The download link is:

Edit: URL has been deleted since file has been removed since a newer version is now available.

Please let me know if it is stable on your machine. If not, I am not sure if there is anything we can do to help as the issue is probably machine specific.

Hope this helps,

KevinH

ps: FWIW ... Sigil is really very well designed and clean software, that is fully cross-platform and that has a very easy build process. I am highly surprised that no one has stepped forward to help support it as it is quite useful software.

Last edited by KevinH; 07-17-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Kevin, development has completely stopped on Sigil. The main developer works full time writing code and writing and supporting it took too much time. It is written if I recall in C++ which is used primarily by professional programmers who are already working full time. There are a lot of people who can pick up Python, which is the language of Calibre, but the C languages are a different story.

As useful as it is, its user base, professional e book producers and serious amateurs is fairly small, so a financial reward is elusive.

Calibre has had an editor added to it, but it is not quite the same thing, making no attempt at WYSIWYG. You can write directly in Sigil, but that is not possible in the calibre editor. Sigil strives for valid code all the time, and enforces its own structure toward that end. Calibre lets you bring in any sort of junk html and play with it to your hearts content and only enforces valid code if you check book, which you must do repeatedly to get every last error.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi mrmikel,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Kevin, development has completely stopped on Sigil. The main developer works full time writing code and writing and supporting it took too much time. It is written if I recall in C++ which is used primarily by professional programmers who are already working full time. There are a lot of people who can pick up Python, which is the language of Calibre, but the C languages are a different story.

As useful as it is, its user base, professional e book producers and serious amateurs is fairly small, so a financial reward is elusive.

Calibre has had an editor added to it, but it is not quite the same thing, making no attempt at WYSIWYG. You can write directly in Sigil, but that is not possible in the calibre editor. Sigil strives for valid code all the time, and enforces its own structure toward that end. Calibre lets you bring in any sort of junk html and play with it to your hearts content and only enforces valid code if you check book, which you must do repeatedly to get every last error.

Yes, understood, but there a lots of volunteer programmers who understand C++. OpenOffice.org had a large number of them when I contributed code there, as does the KDE Desktop project, the Qt project, and many others. C++ only gets hard when strange advanced features are used that just make the code unsupportable, but this is generally not the case with the Sigil codebase.

As for development completely being stopped, it looks like someone has been doing some very simple build maintenance on it ...

according to github.com/user-none/Sigil I see the following:

src Fixed build issues (boost issues #7979 and #8971) 18 days ago

I realize that is not much.

I was just commenting on how clean and nice the code base is, how easy it is to follow, and how easy the build process is. There truly is the "bones" of a very nice product here! It is sad it will wither and die. I guess I can just keep my own version up and running until I find something else I like better.

Take care,

KevinH

Tags
crashes, mavericks, osx 10.9.4, sigil 7.4