Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #241
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by madlac View Post
Hi all,

Would anyone know how to add a shortcut to KoboLauncher to start the built in Sudoku and browser?

Thx
madlac,

There is no way to start built in Sudoku and brawser for now.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #242
robaire
robaire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I am in the process of experimenting with developing a word-processor based on an eInk screen. I have some background in coding but am now hopelessly out of touch with mobile applications or mobile operating system environments. As the Kobo has proven to be a very resilient and freely available device for ereading, it would appear to be a good basis for such a device. Many people with dyslexia, sensory processing disorder, TS and ASD (all neuro-developmental conditions) have great difficulty working with text on LED or backlit tablet or laptop screens. There is evidence that eInk screens overcomes many of the issues they have and are far easier to read. A large part of the issue is the glowing/lit screen making text hard to read and excessive sensory stimulation caused by screen refresh/flicker. These issues are often solved by eInk which uses ambient light and the image is static with a long latency rate.

The notepad in the Kobo Launcher is a very good basis for such an approach but an external keyboard would be the answer for such use as the touch screen 'keyboard' is much harder to use. An external keyboard can be positioned horizontally and the screen at a convenient position for viewing.

As far as I understand, what is needed is for usb-host to be enabled on the ereader to enable a wired keyboard to be plugged in or for a wireless keyboard to be used via the Kobo's built-in Wi-Fi system. This is beyond my coding capabilities but I assume that compiling a usb-host app to run in the Kobo's Qt environment would be the answer. For a wired connection, presumably a standard micro-usb OTG connector would be sufficient.

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice relating to this issue
Regards
Dr Rob Beckwith
robaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #243
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think you might find there is far more than just needing usb-host in the kernel; the h/w has to support it as well. I believe some people have managed to modify the circuit board to add in the required support, but it's non trivial.

I think it was over on the XCSOAR forums; try googling for XCSOAR and Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #244
Don_Karnage
Enthusiast
Don_Karnage began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360 , kobo glo
hi sergeyvl12 ,
could you add the japanes game of go , that is my favorite game ..
also japanes and chiness chess, 'shogi' and 'Xiàngqí' could be pretty nice
thanks for your work.
Don_Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #245
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
madlac,

There is no way to start built in Sudoku and brawser for now.
I know you said there is no way but in the kobo tweaks hack you could so could you not use that method?

just an Idea!
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #246
timwillhack
timwillhack began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura & Mini
Just wanted to let anyone know that reads this forum looking for inversion on the mark 5 aura (non - hd) that cool reader does work and does invert the screen.

I tried version 1.2.6.23 out on the Aura (non-hd) and it works great. I will admit the menus are not amazing but get the job done. Swiping doesn't seem to work and the footer doesn't have options in the list (unlike the header) but I prefer nothing in the margins. I can't seem to find a way to figure out where you are at percentage wise though without turning on the header or bookmarking and then looking at the bookmarks. Any suggestions? I know I'm picky.

Edit: I just added a long press at the center bottom to toggle the header that seems to work for figuring out my percentage.

Now my only new problem is localization of the percentage to US (we have a period not a comma) I'll read through here and see if anyone figured that out but a quick google search has someone asking it back in 2012 so I'm guessing it was fixed in some areas just not in others or something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	koboaurainvert.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	115810  

Last edited by timwillhack; 11-26-2013 at 07:19 PM.
timwillhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #247
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwillhack View Post
Just wanted to let anyone know that reads this forum looking for inversion on the mark 5 aura (non - hd) that cool reader does work and does invert the screen.

I tried version 1.2.6.23 out on the Aura (non-hd) and it works great. I will admit the menus are not amazing but get the job done. Swiping doesn't seem to work and the footer doesn't have options in the list (unlike the header) but I prefer nothing in the margins. I can't seem to find a way to figure out where you are at percentage wise though without turning on the header or bookmarking and then looking at the bookmarks. Any suggestions? I know I'm picky.

Edit: I just added a long press at the center bottom to toggle the header that seems to work for figuring out my percentage.

Now my only new problem is localization of the percentage to US (we have a period not a comma) I'll read through here and see if anyone figured that out but a quick google search has someone asking it back in 2012 so I'm guessing it was fixed in some areas just not in others or something.
Thanks, timwillhack

This is great news that CR works also on the new Aura.

Gestures are not implemented yet and will be ready in today's build. As for US localization - I can't promice it quickly because this is CR engine problem (I'm just another CR GUI guy).

BTW, we have a dedicated topic about CR:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222803
Old 11-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #248
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohtse View Post
I know you said there is no way but in the kobo tweaks hack you could so could you not use that method?

just an Idea!
I can't
Old 11-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #249
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Karnage View Post
hi sergeyvl12 ,
could you add the japanes game of go , that is my favorite game ..
also japanes and chiness chess, 'shogi' and 'Xiàngqí' could be pretty nice
thanks for your work.
Interesting idea, but I have one pair of hands and big wish list on CR and chess
Old 11-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #250
Don_Karnage
Enthusiast
Don_Karnage began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360 , kobo glo
i have notice a bug in the checkers , when kobo laucher is in 270° view , it's not possible to move ships properly, it' responding like the game is in normal orientation i think..

otherwise for coolreader , i was thinking it could be nice to have the negative option by a simple long pressure of the light

thanks you
Don_Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #251
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
i have notice a bug in the checkers , when kobo laucher is in 270° view , it's not possible to move ships properly, it' responding like the game is in normal orientation i think..
Thanks, will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
otherwise for coolreader , i was thinking it could be nice to have the negative option by a simple long pressure of the light
thanks you
Why don't you just assign long tap on tap zone? I have no plans to use kobo's light button.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #252
timwillhack
timwillhack began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura & Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
Why don't you just assign long tap on tap zone? I have no plans to use kobo's light button.
This is exactly what I did, same with bringing up the light setting (top left and bottom left long presses) PS Loving Cool Reader so far, I'm coming from a paperwhite 2, which software wise is pretty hard to beat, dictionary, highlights, flash cards, time till end of book/chapter. Too bad customization wise is the paperwhite seems super weak. Loving the aura with inverted and nothing in margins and... wait for it.... it fits in my pocket!! Next up, Kobo Aura Mini (pretty please Kobo!)

Edit: One last thing I wanted to mention to help someone searching the web, its pretty sweet to not have to convert your entire library to epub going from the mobi world of amazon kindle (as long as they are not encrypted - which none of mine are) to the kobo world with Coolreader installed since it can read mobi files!

Last edited by timwillhack; 11-30-2013 at 02:13 AM.
timwillhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #253
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
I get an "usb network error!" message on the Kobo Aura 2.10. Anyone knows how to fix it?

FOUND IT.

I changed setvars.sh to:

Code:
case `/bin/kobo_config.sh * 2>/dev/null` in
 dragon)  DEVICE=AURAHD;;
 kraken)  DEVICE=GLO   ;;
 trilogy) DEVICE=TOUCH ;;
 pixie)   DEVICE=MINI  ;;
 phoenix) DEVICE=AURA  ;;
 *)       DEVICE=TOUCH ;;
A USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget showed up. I assigned only IPv4 192.168.2.99 and subnet 255.255.255.0 and I am able to ftp to 192.168.2.101 with username root and no password.

Last edited by Markismus; 12-01-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #254
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
I get an "usb network error!" message on the Kobo Aura 2.10. Anyone knows how to fix it?

FOUND IT.

I changed setvars.sh to:

Code:
case `/bin/kobo_config.sh * 2>/dev/null` in
 dragon)  DEVICE=AURAHD;;
 kraken)  DEVICE=GLO   ;;
 trilogy) DEVICE=TOUCH ;;
 pixie)   DEVICE=MINI  ;;
 phoenix) DEVICE=AURA  ;;
 *)       DEVICE=TOUCH ;;
A USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget showed up. I assigned only IPv4 192.168.2.99 and subnet 255.255.255.0 and I am able to ftp to 192.168.2.101 with username root and no password.
In Windows 7, you will see the network added, as an "Unidentified network" "No Internet access". It won't work until you install the "USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget". From the "Network and Sharing center" you can select your Kobo device that will appear in "Connections" for the "Unidentified network". Selecting the device will bring up "Status" box with a "Properties" button. From that properties page you can select and configure the "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TPC/IPv4)" (I used 192.168.2.100 and 255.255.255.0) then, on the properties page, click on the "Install" button.

This should give you WinSCP, PUTTY, ect ... access to your device.

Luck;
Ken

Oh yeah, you will need to have started Sergey's USBnet on your device for there to be the connection that Windows will find as an "Unidentified network".

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 12-01-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #255
swamp thing
Enthusiast
swamp thing began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Has anyone got usbnet working from a Windows XP computer?

I am using WinXP / SP2 and when I reach the point where "I will select a driver from a list", there are no drivers listed under "network adapters".

A little googling shows that it is not very simple to set up the so-called "Remote NDIS" support in XP. I, for one, am quite confused.

Anyone with a 'how-to' for XP?

Thanks,
Swamp Thing
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote