Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Opinions on the Kobo WiFi from a Kindle 3 owner

I remember seeing the original Kobo and thinking that it looked like cheap crap. That really colored my opinion of the Kobo from then out. Today I was in Border's (one that isn't closing) and played with their display model of the new black wi-fi Kobo and I have to say that I'm VERY impressed. I'm actually very upset that I bought my daughter a cheaper LCD based reader shortly before the price drop -- had I known I wouldn't have bought her a Christmas present and made her wait. :-)

The device feels good in the hand... I did miss the left and right big page turn buttons, but using the pad wasn't too bad. The side navigation buttons felt a little bit out of place for getting to menus and whatnot, but I could learn to get used to that quickly. The fonts looked very nice, much better than I expected, and at least in the store's lighting I couldn't say that the screen was much worse than the Pearl screen on my K3, although I didn't have mine with me to compare side by side. Overall, for $99 it's a very tempting little device. I really liked the header & footer display -- it felt cleaner than the Kindle's and I liked how they displayed progress, though it was lacking overall progress. The book covers in the navigation page were a nice touch, which the K3 is missing, and it's neat how the screensaver image is the cover of the book that you last read.

If I didn't already have my K3 the decision would be very difficult for me (I like saving money), and I'm still kicking myself for that LCD based reader I bought my daughter that she's not very happy with. I almost just bought it on the spot to give to her. :-) If it were $< 70 like some of the closing stores are selling them for I probably would have bought it.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Thanks for the review.

Been using my Kobo now for nearly 10 months with no real issues.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
With Borders closing in most of Georgia I was able to get the WiFi Kobo for $60. It is no way as good as my Kindle3 but for the price (60% off) and the ability to load Library books I figure I can't go wrong. I think the Kobo looks good and reads well but it's slower and less responsive than the Kindle.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote