Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The Master makes my list of favorite reads in the book club. I was hoping for a new author. However, as a contemporary author, Tóibín does have an impressive body of work and long list of award nominations/wins that makes him worthy of a re-read.

By the way, Fiona Shaw starred in the Broadway adaptation of Tóibín's The Testament of Mary which was nominated for 3 Tony awards including Best New Play.

That's interesting that the Flanagan audiobook has an introduction! The ebook sample starts from the first chapter. From the table of contents, the ebook doesn't appear to have a section at all with historical background or literary criticism. I wonder why they added it to the audiobook.

As an aside, I like it when fiction books add a section at the back with details on the history, especially if the author took liberties and points out deviations. I typically skip introductions which are literary explanations and read them after the story so I don't get spoilers. Indeed it is frustrating when you download a sample and it is so lengthy that you don't get to the actual story before it ends!

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 01-07-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #17
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I give one vote to
- Colm Toibin
- Evie Wyld
- Anthony Doerr

and two votes to
- Ruth Ozeki
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #18
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I generally would prefer a new author too, Bookworm_Girl, but I think that Nora Webster, should it win, seems sufficiently (nay, very) different from The Master as to be unique, and it could be interesting for those of us who have read both to compare and contrast together. And interesting notes on Shaw, thanks for that!

I've also looked at the ebook sample of the Flanagan which does indeed start with the book. I've no idea why only the audiobook has an introduction. I am similar to you in that I skip intros until the end to avoid spoilers and such, so it was rather annoying having to turn off the audio sample and not be able to get an idea of how I might like the reader.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #19
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
No devious plan to collect votes from those with Irish connections! More that it sounded to utterly different from The Master - different country, period,situation, woman rather than man ...
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I know Bookpossum! And fantasyfan hasn't even chimed in yet, heh. It was just a little jesting as the funny thought struck me while on Audible looking up the top two vote-getters with their Irish and Australian connections.
Advert
Old 01-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #21
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Oh, I know Bookpossum! And fantasyfan hasn't even chimed in yet, heh. It was just a little jesting as the funny thought struck me while on Audible looking up the top two vote-getters with their Irish and Australian connections.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:23 AM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Voting is now closed and each nomination finishes with an odd number of votes, oddly enough.

The winner is Nora Webster by Colm Tóibín! Bookpossum will have the discussion thread up soon.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #23
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

The thread is up though waiting to be made "sticky". You can find it here.

Sorry about the book image: I need expert advice on how to make that bigger.