Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
arast
Texas Reader
arast began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app on iPad
How do I remove two blank lines after a paragraph?

A fiend is putting together some family stories and wants to make a Kindle book when through. He is using RTF for the original format. Somehow he has place two blank lines after each paragraph. I would like to change it so that the first line of a paragraph is indented (Word can do that) but there are no blank lines between paragraphs. If Word can do that I haven't figured it out. Is there a way in Calibre to remove these blank lines? "Look and Feel/Layout/Remove spaces between paragraphs" doesn't seem to work. Seems like there should be a simple way of doing this
arast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How you fix things is dependent on the code. You'll have to show us the code and relevant CSS code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
arast
Texas Reader
arast began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app on iPad
It is pure Word (Office 2003) format. The output is saved as an RTF and then Calibre is used to convert it to MOBI. "Send to Kindle" will transfer it Kindle readers or Kindle apps on the iPhone or iPad. I know more than my friend about all this but I really know very little, as you can tell.
arast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
use search and replace and search for two paragraph end characters, and replace with one paragraph end character.

\r\r

\r

is probably how to do it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@arast - I don't wish to sound mean, but if you and your friend can't work out how to do this in Word 2003 then you probably shouldn't be using it. A word processor is not a typewriter emulator, which is how I suspect you are trying to use it.

I haven't used Word 2003 since 2008, but I'm pretty sure you can achieve what you want in the Paragraph Formatting function, I think it'll be in the document right-click menu - no idea which menu or button bar.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need to use styles in Word for everything. Otherwise, you end up with a code mess.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You need to use styles in Word for everything. Otherwise, you end up with a code mess.
++ - but if someone hasn't mastered paragraph formatting then suggesting they use styles might be pushing the envelope a bridge too far

BR
Old 01-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #8
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
I went through this sort of thing with a friend who was writing an autobiography. He started out with Pages on his iMac, which, if possible, is worse than Word as a starting point - although the "typewriter emualtor" factor is maybe more important than the software. I had to nearly break his arm, but finally got him onto LibreOffice and taught him the wisdom of styles. From that minute the project went well (his book is on Amazon and elsewhere), and he now loves LibreOffice!

LibreOffice plays really well with HTML. Doing the styles is easy, and Calibre takes the .odt files as an input...and can give you a great-looking ebook. It's free and open source--give it a try.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:59 AM   #9
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Open the source file in MS-Word: S&R -> klick More -> Special. There you will find search for formats like paragraph line breaks or manual line breaks -> replace with what ever you need. E.g. for paragraph:
search for: ^p^p
replace with: ^p

If I remember correct, this should work for Word 2003 too.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
Thom*
The Fumbler
Thom* began at the beginning.

Device: android 4.2/fbreader
@BetterRead - "Pushing the envelope a bridge too far." I've never heard it put like that, but it makes me laugh too. IDK, would you call that a mixed metaphor?
Thom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #11
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
Open the source file in MS-Word: S&R -> klick More -> Special. There you will find search for formats like paragraph line breaks or manual line breaks -> replace with what ever you need. E.g. for paragraph:

+1, except the OP said that there were 2 blank lines after a paragraph and that he wanted none. Therefore, he should either run the above S&R twice or use ^p^p^p for the search.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom* View Post
@BetterRead - "Pushing the envelope a bridge too far." I've never heard it put like that, but it makes me laugh too. IDK, would you call that a mixed metaphor?
Some might, but I probably wouldn't, as there is no inconsistency between the envelope and bridge. But I don't know of a specific term for joining two coherent metaphors in a way that makes sense, a rhetorician might know of one. Or maybe there isn't one - in which case I declare such things to be - brisms

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-10-2018 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
++ - but if someone hasn't mastered paragraph formatting then suggesting they use styles might be pushing the envelope a bridge too far

BR
It might be easier to start over and do it right then to have to fix the mess later on.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post

Problem, what about section breaks?
Old 01-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Solution to the problem. Make a copy of the Word document. Take one of them and load it into Word and remove ALL formatting. Start over with styles and then you will have fairly clean code when converting to an eBook.

Tags
blank lines, remove