Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 11-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #2371
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Finished up Starship Mage. The narrator was a bit like the book, a solid good quality read. He was a bit more of a reader than a voice actor. I'm going to pick up the next book in the series, plus the first book in the Red Falcon series. Both books basically fork from Starship Mage, one following one main character, the other following the other main character. I've read both series in ebooks and it works well. I just wish Robert Jordon had followed that approach!

Next up is A Call to Vengeance, book 3 of David Weber's Manticore Ascendant series, though I suspect most of the writing was done by the other two co-authors, Timothy Zahn and Thomas Pope. It doesn't quite feel like a David Weber book, but it's enjoyable enough. The narrator isn't bad either.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #2372
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Finished We Are Legion (We are Bob) by Dennis Taylor. This was great! Not at all what I was expecting. Still sciency, but lots of humor.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #2373
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just started listening to the new Ben Aaronovitch Peter Grant book, Lies Sleeping. As always, superbly narrated by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, whose narration brings the book alive.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #2374
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am currently listening to March Upcountry by David Weber and John Ringo. My wife and I are listening to Bruno, Chief of Police by Martin Walker.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #2375
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am currently listening to March Upcountry by David Weber and John Ringo. My wife and I are listening to Bruno, Chief of Police by Martin Walker.
Apache
Both excellent, though very different. But good reads.

Charlie.
Advert
Old 12-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #2376
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I figured I could not miss with either one. Both are good reads and I am enjoying the narrators too.
Apache
Old 12-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #2377
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I am listening to Night of Camp David, about an insane president; he is paranoid and has delusions of grandeur. It's fiction--I can tell it's fiction because some of the politicians actually try do the right thing.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:57 AM   #2378
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I am listening to Night of Camp David, about an insane president; he is paranoid and has delusions of grandeur. It's fiction--I can tell it's fiction because some of the politicians actually try do the right thing.
made me giggle

I've just finished Karin Slaughters The Good Daughter wow I could not stop listening I really enjoyed this I'm looking forward to listening to more of her. Word of warning though it has a number of sections of explicit violence against women I'm not sure if I could have gotten through it had I been reading instead listening for some reason doing it via audio makes it slightly less intense for me

Currently listening to a new author for me and a homegrown story Crimson Lake by Candice Fox so far it's good but I am having some issues with the narrator Euan Morton who's accent is all over the place.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:07 AM   #2379
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apache
I really liked the March series. Rudnicki is very good. For some reason, I felt that the series should have had one more book in it.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:36 AM   #2380
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I really liked the March series. Rudnicki is very good. For some reason, I felt that the series should have had one more book in it.
Supposedly they are working on the next book. I seem to remember that they have had scheduling conflicts.
Apache
Old 12-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #2381
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I've just finished Karin Slaughters The Good Daughter wow I could not stop listening I really enjoyed this I'm looking forward to listening to more of her. Word of warning though it has a number of sections of explicit violence against women I'm not sure if I could have gotten through it had I been reading instead listening for some reason doing it via audio makes it slightly less intense for me.
I won't read her. I listened to Pretty Girls a while back and thought the violence was extreme, disgusting, and gratuitous. I was shocked because I had read the short story prequel, Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes, and liked it a lot--violence was muted and offscreen, not in your face the way it was in Pretty Girls, in which women were chained, beaten, stabbed, and otherwise tortured in horrific fashion. Nope, never again going near one of her books.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #2382
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Supposedly they are working on the next book. I seem to remember that they have had scheduling conflicts.
Apache
It's only been 14 years since We Few. That's a lot of scheduling conflicts. They left it mostly wrapped up, so I'm not really complaining, just that it felt like they were planning one more book. Weber and Ringo are two of the more prolific regular publisher authors out there and both have been churning out books for a long time (Weber since 1991, Ringo since 2000).
Old 12-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #2383
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It's only been 14 years since We Few. That's a lot of scheduling conflicts. They left it mostly wrapped up, so I'm not really complaining, just that it felt like they were planning one more book. Weber and Ringo are two of the more prolific regular publisher authors out there and both have been churning out books for a long time (Weber since 1991, Ringo since 2000).
Has more to do with other projects getting in the way, and Weber's health, as much as it does some creative differences on where it should go. But we've been told that there is _some_ movement on the file, so there's hope. I, for one, would like to see at least a fifth book.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #2384
Apache
Readaholic

Yes, I did not mean personal conflicts. I should have posted a more detailed answer like CRussell did.

And the announcement to write a fifth book was only made a few years ago.
Apache
Old 12-03-2018, 12:38 AM   #2385
CRussel
(he/him/his)

You do know that's CRussel, right?

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations