Notices

Old 04-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
Dan__
Connoisseur
Dan__ began at the beginning.

Device: Nook - Simple Touch
Refreshing the calibre catalog when new books appear in the library folder

Hi,

I've installed calibre and calibre-web on debian. I normally add books using calibre on one of my Macs or PCs. The Calibre Library is in Dropbox, so when I add a book it is synced to the debian machine. But, the new book doesn't get added to the catalog unless I open calibre on the linux machine.

Calibre-web doesn't require that calibre-server be running and, in any case I'm never sure when calibre-server decides to refresh the catalog.

It would be very useful if the calibredb command had a refresh option to update the catalog from the library. Then I could cron that and have it run every hour or so.

I hope you agree that this would be useful.

Thank you,
Dan Essin
Dan__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Syncing a library via dropbox while it is also being served by a calibre web server is a recipe for data loss. If you want to add books to a remote calibre server instance use calibredb which can connect directly to calibre-server. You can also add books via the web UI of the calibre server directly, and at some point in the future the calibre GUI will be able to connect to a server in some fashion or the other.

Although since you are using debian packages, I have no idea if any of that will work given that they are typically broken and aeons behind mainline calibre releases.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2018, 11:38 PM   #3
Dan__
Connoisseur
Dan__ began at the beginning.

Device: Nook - Simple Touch
Thanks for the warning. I understand that even though what I’m doing with dropbox may not have caused a problem- yet - that doesn’t make it a good idea.

As far as the calibre install, I did it using the instructions you posted, I did not get it from a devian repo. What I installed seems to work perfectly.

Thank you
Dan__ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibredb, catalog, library