Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #1
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I just ordered a PW

Last year I bought a regular Kindle 7th gen. I love it a lot, but I eventually found myself wishing I had bought a PW instead. The reviews of the paperwhite over all seem better than when it was first launched, and I do enjoy reading in bed. (which I mostly do using my phone or tablet at my bedside).

Every month or so, our family buys stuff from amazon. Today we used our last "spare" USB cord and wanted to order more to have on hand. So, while reordering the cords, I did my usual browse and was delighted to see they had a little promotional sale knocking $20 off the price, which worked out to most of what I had saved up for that purpose!

So now, I have de-registered my 7th gen, since my husband wanted one anyway! I am actually very excited about getting this. The last time I saw one in person was when Staples (Canada) was still selling them (which they don't anymore) and I looked at it and thought it was quite nice looking.

While I am late in the game for getting a "new" paperwhite", I am glad I held out. I usually like to let the dust settle on the initial phase of anything so I can make a decision after reading various reviews from those who have gone before me.

To the mods, I hope I've posted this to the right forum. It seemed to be more of a "general" post, even if it is about a specific model. If it is not, I apologize in advance for any extra work I may have created for you.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
No extra work, but this really does belong in the Kindle Forum.

You'll get a lot of comments.

Now moved.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
The Paperwhite 3 is a very nice device for the money, getting it on sale is even better. I bring mine with me everywhere. Hope you enjoy your new PW3.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:20 PM   #5
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Why doesn't the PW have a flush screen? Are the lights there in the bezel?

I just got one for the other half, he wanted a lighter screen than the old Kindle I'd bought for recipes.

He liked the lights on my inkBOOK, but the screen and bezel are flush. I'd had a Kobo Glo, the lights were recessed under the bezel and he didn't like that system. I didn't either. I read while I'm eating and got crumbs down there. A Rocket Blower removed the crumbs.

I've got a brand-new plain Kindle sitting in a box. Got it for him last Xmas. The box has been opened, the plastic sealed wrap on the Kindle has not. I'm a tad annoyed. Something else to get rid of.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2016, 02:00 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can get a refurbished Voyage for a very good price if you want a Kindle with a flush screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:38 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Congratulations on your new device. I also find a lit device really good for reading in bed.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:01 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
You mentioned wanting a front-lit device, but I think the added resolution (300 ppi) is going to knock your socks off. I'm sure till love it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:21 AM   #9
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Congratulations on your new device. I also find a lit device really good for reading in bed.
I am really looking forward to it! I had tried all kinds of clip on lights but they were never satisfactory and they broke very easily. Having it embedded onto the page will no doubt make it so much easier.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:24 AM   #10
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You mentioned wanting a front-lit device, but I think the added resolution (300 ppi) is going to knock your socks off. I'm sure till love it.
Yes. It was only a few months after buying my other one that I thought "I wish I had bought a paperwhite instead.". The view from the demo one I saw in the store looked amazing.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:23 AM   #11
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
My Paperwhite has poor contrast compared to the Voyage and the Basic. Does yours not have faded blacks and a brown screen?
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #12
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
My Paperwhite has poor contrast compared to the Voyage and the Basic. Does yours not have faded blacks and a brown screen?
My PW3 bought last spring does not have faded print or a brown screen. Can you return yours and try another one ? My husbands Voyage bought last month has a slight tan tint to it compared to my Voyage bought in July. It's not something that bothers him and his eyes adjusted to the screen, but you might want to return yours if you don't like the contrast. Just try for another while it's returnable.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:41 AM   #13
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
I give you joy of your new device! Although I recently purchased a Voyage, I still take my PW with me everywhere. It's a wonderful reader.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #14
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
I give you joy of your new device! Although I recently purchased a Voyage, I still take my PW with me everywhere. It's a wonderful reader.
My confirmation says it should arrive by Thursday. I'm excited!

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Paperwhite 3 and a Voyage as well as all the older models of the Paperwhite. I live in a retirement home with a lot of neighbors with Kindles of all models as well. I can tell you that there's as much difference in two devices of the same model as in different models.

Placed side by side to compare the screen that looks best to me is my Paperwhite 2. The difference has nothing to do with sharpness or anything like that. It's color and the PW2 has a slightly warmer screen, which looks good when comparing.

When reading they're all the same. The differences I see when reading are that the Paperwhite 1 is slower and the Voyage is smaller and lighter and has the flush bezel and screen. The actual reading experience is identical on them all.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote