Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
cbeer86
cbeer86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Kindle Oasis Connection Issue with New Version

I have used Calibre for years with various Kindle devices, but since installing the latest update (version 3.32) today, I'm getting a very strange error with my Kindle Oasis (which I've been using with Calibre for a year or so).

I can connect the device to my computer just fine and manipulate files on it manually, but any time I try to send a book to the device memory from Calibre, my Kindle starts flickering back and forth between the home screen and USB connected screen as if it's being repeatedly plugged and unplugged from the computer. Eventually, either Calibre crashes or I get an error communicating with the device. I've restarted both my computer and Kindle several times and uninstalled/reinstalled Calibre twice. No idea what is causing this error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cbeer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
1) Try another USB cable.

1.5) Try another port on your Calibre computer
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
cbeer86

Had already tried both of those also, but thank you for the response. The connection to the computer is perfectly stable until I try to start the transfer from Calibre to device memory. I can even remove books from the device using Calibre, just can't send them to the device. Which is bizarre.

Last edited by cbeer86; 10-05-2018 at 09:32 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This sounds like a hardware issue on your kindle. There have been no changes to the kindle driver in calibre in a long time, but feel free to downgrade to an older release of calibre and check for yourself (old releases are linked to from the download page).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:46 PM   #5
cbeer86

I'm not sure what would indicate a hardware issue when I'm able to edit files manually through file explorer (add/delete/move) with no problem, as well as remove/view files using Calibre. The only thing that causes this issue is trying to send to device using Calibre.

Finally got the error message instead of just a crash again. Will try installing an older version.

calibre, version 3.32.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 22] Invalid argument

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 510, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kindle\driver.py", line 410, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 296, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 448, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 446, in write_prefix
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\book\json_codec.p y", line 135, in encode_to_file
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument
Old 10-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
cbeer86

Version 3.22.0 produced a similar result, though it crashed much more quickly than version 3.32.0. Version 2.85.1 (newest version before 3.x) does not seem to recognize my device.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hardware issues are typically triggerred by specific load patterns, that you can do N operations and the N+1th fails doesn't mean anything. And that error you posted is an IOError, which means calibre asked the OS towrite a file to the device, and the OS reported that writing of the file failed.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #8
cbeer86

Reinstalling version 3.32.0 seemed to work for one file, then produced a different error when I tried a second.

calibre, version 3.32.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 13] Permission denied

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 591, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 317, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\cli.py", line 63, in put_file
File "shutil.py", line 52, in copyfileobj
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
Old 10-05-2018, 10:07 PM   #9
cbeer86

Sorry, just saw your second response when I posted that. I'm speaking to Amazon support now.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:18 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just reset your kindle and if that does not work, get amazon to send you a replacement.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:35 PM   #11
cbeer86

Yes, they are sending a replacement now. Thank you for your help.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:39 PM   #12
cbeer86

The replacement I received had the exact same issue. I will request another replacement, but it seems unlikely that two different devices had the exact same defect...
Old 10-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #13
cbeer86

The new one is now not even being recognized by Calibre after one instance of this same error.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #14
cbeer86

I was finally able to borrow a friend's computer to try. Everything works fine there with my original Kindle. All other USB devices work fine with my computer, so it's clearly an issue specifically with connecting my computer to any Kindle device, which is bizarrely specific. Thank you for your advice, I will seek solutions to this problem in a more appropriate place.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #15
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I been having issues with downloads. It will say download complete real fast but when I refresh it show not downloaded and I have to start all over again
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle