Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #1
Konahuanui
Konahuanui began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo GLO HD and Android Hotspot problem

I cannot induce my GLO HD to connect to my Android (8) hotspot. I have tried renaming the hotspot, and applying security as well as running without. I know the hotspot is working; my computer can use it successfully. I know the kobo wifi is working, because it will connect to other wifi channels coming from my router.

I have reset the Kobo, done a factory reset, reinstalled the latest software. But still, I receive an ""Error message: Unable to join "xxx". Please try another network.""

I have searched this forum but do not see an answer to this problem. Do any of you have an idea or two to to help make this connection?

Many thanks in advance.

Jon
Konahuanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I use my with phone occasionally with no real problems. It can take a couple of tries, but I think that is more to do with how well the phone is connecting.

A common reason for no connection is that the device attempts to connect to a URL during the connection set-up. If this fails, the connection is dropped. The URL used depends on the firmware. Until fairly recently, the URL was http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt. Kobo is now using http://www.kobo.com/buildinfo.xml.

If you find that is the problem, firmware 4.9.11311 has a hidden option to not do these checks. Adding the following to the KoboReader.conf file should fix this.

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
IgnoreCaptivePortal=true
If you already have the FeatureSettings section, just add the other line after it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:56 AM   #3
quentinRetro
quentinRetro has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KAO/Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I use my with phone occasionally with no real problems. It can take a couple of tries, but I think that is more to do with how well the phone is connecting.

A common reason for no connection is that the device attempts to connect to a URL during the connection set-up. If this fails, the connection is dropped. The URL used depends on the firmware. Until fairly recently, the URL was http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt. Kobo is now using http://www.kobo.com/buildinfo.xml.

If you find that is the problem, firmware 4.9.11311 has a hidden option to not do these checks. Adding the following to the KoboReader.conf file should fix this.

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
IgnoreCaptivePortal=true
If you already have the FeatureSettings section, just add the other line after it.
damn this even works on my aura one . thank you so much !!
quentinRetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:42 AM   #4
petrchutny
petrchutny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Thanks guys, adding that line fixed it for me - I live in China, the great Chinese firewall was blocking that website & file, so Kobo Clara HD never connected to any wi-fi. So grateful for this forum, damn!
petrchutny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:13 PM   #5
doodoodood
doodoodood began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello! Has this stopped working in any recent firmware?
I found that the wiki says it doesn't work anymore but this post kinda says the opposite.
doodoodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:00 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodoodood View Post
Hello! Has this stopped working in any recent firmware?
I found that the wiki says it doesn't work anymore but this post kinda says the opposite.
AFAIK, that config file setting still works. However, in newer firmware, if it can't connect to the test site, it should prompt as to whether or not you want to continue.

I've used it when setting up a Libra 2 for one friend who wanted to be able to connect to his internal network but not external addresses. Basically, we blocked the Libra 2's MAC address from being allowed out 24/7.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:10 PM   #7
doodoodood
doodoodood began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you very much! Didn't know it shows a prompt
doodoodood is offline   Reply With Quote