Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #46
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
You've bought a right to read the book on a certain device for a less than physical book price. That file was licensed to you, not sold.
That license does not have a time limit on it.

Effectively the same thing. I have an open ended license to a work.

Last edited by Greg Anos; 02-23-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #47
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
That license does not have a time limit on it.

Effectively the same thing. I have an open ended license to a work.
Yep. And people have been left "high and dry" when a seller goes belly up. How does Sarmat89 think that situation should be remedied? Or is it only one-sided to him?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #48
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
I'll just quote a random reader's manual:

"Extremely high or low temperatures" are 0° and 50°. So it cannot be worn in the pocket in winter. You cannot read on the bus stop. You cannot read in the direct sunlight in summer, as the screen or battery will get too hot.

I'm still puzzled what is "incorrect" in copying files from a computer and recharging it regularly with a USB cable. Unless you mean an expensive branded reader with WiFi connectivity and integrated book shop? Those are not popular where I live.
How many of us need to be outside in 50°C (122°F) weather?

What is "long periods" to you that it precludes any reading in direct sunlight? I have never had an overheating incident despite reading in direct sunlight for a couple hours at at time.

And the last few days I have been reading in approximately -5°C weather at my bus stop with no problems. And that is probably just the operating temperature, not a storage temperature, which is likely lower. As long as you let it warm up or aren't outside with it too long your coat pocket is just fine.

Yes, I do need to take the e-reader inside at night rather than leaving it in my car. From that perspective, I suppose it is more delicate than a normal book. But then again, I have seen many paperback books fail at the bindings and start losing pages. I haven't seen that in an e-reader. Paper books certainly aren't any better in water than e-readers either. You can put an e-reader in a plastic baggy and read all day in the rain. Good luck doing that with a paper book.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:17 PM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
...Paper books certainly aren't any better in water than e-readers either. You can put an e-reader in a plastic baggy and read all day in the rain. Good luck doing that with a paper book.
You could even get a waterproof reader.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #50
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
In that case, care to explain why has 99% pirated content out there been de-DRMed and converted from Adobe/Amazon formats to EPUB with that particular software? Is it just coincidence?
I find it rather fascinating that you are so familiar with pirate sites and have inspected so many pirated book that you are able come up with the conclusion you posted. Out of a perhaps morbid curiosity, how many pirated ebooks have you downloaded in the last year? Or do pirate sites now include notices as to what deDRM and conversion tools have been used?

Also out of curiosity, you do know that deDRM tools are available in standalone versions as well? Such as the case of Epubor who will sell you paid versions of free software.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
You've bought a right to read the book on a certain device for a less than physical book price. That file was licensed to you, not sold.
Really? Can you point out where that limit is in the license? Less than the cost of a physical book? I've seen quite a few BPH ebooks at or over the price of the paperback edition.

After taking a quick look at Amazon and Kobo terms, it would appear that I am allowed to sync/read the ebook on at least 5 or 6 devices. Google and other book stores I've checked don't seem to have a device limit other than that imposed by Adobe's licensing limitations.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #52
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
How many of us need to be outside in 50°C (122°F) weather?

What is "long periods" to you that it precludes any reading in direct sunlight? I have never had an overheating incident despite reading in direct sunlight for a couple hours at at time.

And the last few days I have been reading in approximately -5°C weather at my bus stop with no problems. And that is probably just the operating temperature, not a storage temperature, which is likely lower. As long as you let it warm up or aren't outside with it too long your coat pocket is just fine.

Yes, I do need to take the e-reader inside at night rather than leaving it in my car. From that perspective, I suppose it is more delicate than a normal book. But then again, I have seen many paperback books fail at the bindings and start losing pages. I haven't seen that in an e-reader. Paper books certainly aren't any better in water than e-readers either. You can put an e-reader in a plastic baggy and read all day in the rain. Good luck doing that with a paper book.
I live in South Georgia where it can get to 115F in the summer with 100% humidity and I never have over heating problems.
Apach
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I live in South Georgia where it can get to 115F in the summer with 100% humidity and I never have over heating problems.
Apach
But sitting outside to read in that weather would give you overheating problems.

(Or at least me. Being from California, fifteen years hasn't been enough to acclimate me to the murderous Houston summers.)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #54
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
But sitting outside to read in that weather would give you overheating problems.

(Or at least me. Being from California, fifteen years hasn't been enough to acclimate me to the murderous Houston summers.)
Houston and South Georgia have very similar weather. Except you get hurricanes more than we do. The curve of the coast and the Gulf Stream combine to make most hurricanes veer east or west of us.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:22 PM   #55
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I live in DFW (like you, it's "whether I like it or not") and we sometimes get "Houston weather" (or as my brother calls it, "dog breath weather") but I don't see how anyone could live in it all the time. Basically I console myself in the middle of a humid heat wave in Dallas by saying, "at least I don't live in Houston."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #56
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
That was a great article. I might just have to check out that author's ebooks.

I prefer my dedicated e-Ink reader, like many others here, and I pretty much gave up on print books, although it probably took me five years to make the switch (2002-2007 or thereabouts). As I get older, I find it hard to imagine going back to books I can't change the font size on.

I agree, however, that if somebody came up with a way to make a tablet have the battery life (and weight) of my eInk reader, I'd be glad to narrow down to a single device.

I think for lots of casual readers, the phone (or even tablet if they have one) will suit them just fine. Even $50 for a dedicated reader is an expensive choice for a 1-book-a-year reader. They might be happy to inherit an older model from one of us more enthusiastic readers who like to upgrade now and again, though.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:52 AM   #57
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
DRM and profitability of publishing have no connection. Case in point: Tor dropped all DRM some years ago and it had no impact on their sales.

Since having DRM or not makes no difference to publishers' sales, customers removing DRM makes no difference either.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #58
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
DRM and profitability of publishing have no connection. Case in point: Tor dropped all DRM some years ago and it had no impact on their sales.

Since having DRM or not makes no difference to publishers' sales, customers removing DRM makes no difference either.
Especially when they can only do it to books they already bought.
If anything it improves sales of the format that can be disinfected vs the locked down formats.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You must have a different meaning for original than I do. Nate's article references the actual original article at https://scroll.in/article/868871/the...ette-group-ceo but does not include
I got the link from the original thread. That link turned out to be to Nate's report. So if the two thread were merged (I think they should have been) then that link would have been the first link in the thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:52 PM   #60
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Especially when they can only do it to books they already bought.
If anything it improves sales of the format that can be disinfected vs the locked down formats.
I agree with that. It's pretty rare that I buy a format that I can't remove the DRM. The few times that I do, it's because the tools haven't quite caught up with the latest changes and I expect that I will be able to remove the DRM fairly soon.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote