Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
rwright329
rwright329 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm m505
Mobipocket m505 image error

With so many books being published as epubs, mobipocket is very convenient for putting them on my Palm m505. However, everytime I try to view a picture in the text, I get an error saying that there is not enough memory and the picture cannot be viewed in full screen mode. Click OK and an error saying the book file cannot be opened pops up. Click OK and I can keep reading.

For most books pictures aren't very important, but a few have some that are important.

I more free space on my internal memory than the size of the book. If I convert the book to eReader, the pictures show up, but the internal links cause the Palm to freeze. I created a small document with a picture on Word and had MobiPocket reader convert it for me. The picture showed up just fine.

Any thoughts? How much free memory is needed?
rwright329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In Calibre there is a MOBI Output option for "Rescale Images for Palm Devices". I'm not exactly sure what it does, but it is worth trying. The ebook must be DRM-free, but there are DRM-stripping Calibre plugins available if necessary.

In older MOBI ebooks (almost always in .prc files) there was a ~64KB limit on images, which was caused by the single record length limit in Palm file formats. Recent MOBIs can have images span multiple records. They also support JPEG. Finally, PRC/MOBI had options for providing a small (alternative) image for small screens. So Calibre is doing one or more of these things to optimize for Palm Devices.

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-19-2011 at 07:12 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
rwright329
rwright329 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm m505
Thanks for the thoughts, but that doesn't seem to help. The images were already less than 64 KB. Could the problem be that they are jpegs and not something else like png?
rwright329 is offline   Reply With Quote