Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2016, 10:14 PM   #1
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Is it possible to sort kobo collection by series?

I've gotten my kobo aura one set up just the way I wanted (Thanks to a lot of help here- thanks) except for one thing.

Is there any way kobo collections by series if the series exists and by title otherwise?

Thanks.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
No, sorry, not in the device.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
I've gotten my kobo aura one set up just the way I wanted (Thanks to a lot of help here- thanks) except for one thing.

Is there any way kobo collections by series if the series exists and by title otherwise?

Thanks.
That capability was present in an earlier firmware but was removed. One of the features that people seem to keep asking for. "Give us back our series sort!"

Generally, if I'm looking for a series, I use the search function which gives me a lot fewer pages to browse through.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #4
kaufman
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info. I have my series each in its own collection, so its not as much searching.

I had a kobo a few years ago, and I sort of remember that there was some plugin that would update the metadata so that series could be sorted by date. I might be wrong.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:45 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have my series each in its own collection, so its not as much searching.

I had a kobo a few years ago, and I sort of remember that there was some plugin that would update the metadata so that series could be sorted by date. I might be wrong.
Sadly that functionality was borked.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That capability was present in an earlier firmware but was removed. One of the features that people seem to keep asking for. "Give us back our series sort!"
For reasons I don't think I should mention here, this gave me a big laugh. Terisa might know why
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:04 PM   #7
kaufman

Well, I figured out which plugin had it. It is Kobo Utilities, but I can't seem to get it to work. I have posted a question in the correct forum if anyone is interested in the solution.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:53 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And for reference, I'll post my response here as well:

Quote:
You are not doing anything wrong. Unfortunately, that function does not work with recent firmware.

The order series shelves is a cheat. There was an option to sort the collection by "Date added". I manipulated the date that was in the database for each book in the collection so that using the "Date added" sort put the books in that order. But, the "Date added" sorting broke in the firmware some time ago. I kept hoping it would be fixed, but in firmware 4.0, the option has been removed from the sort menu when viewing collection.

I'll disable or remove the option for firmware that it doesn't work for.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:05 AM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If you have your series in your collection, there's a way to do it with the metadata plugboard: If you prefix the title with the series index when you send it to the device, ordering by title will have the desired effect.

And you're talking about Kobo Utilities and the functionality of "Ordering by time of adding to collection", which was broken and it has been removed (instead of repaired) in this firmware.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:09 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For reasons I don't think I should mention here, this gave me a big laugh. Terisa might know why
I would like to remark that I didn't ask they to remove the "sort by series" option. I asked they really ordered by title, not by series and later by title, as not all of us have the series in different collections
Old 10-07-2016, 12:12 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I would like to remark that I didn't ask they to remove the "sort by series" option. I asked they really ordered by title, not by series and later by title, as not all of us have the series in different collections
I know, and I sort of agree with you. But, I'm still going to tease you
Old 10-07-2016, 12:53 AM   #12
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
This is not a perfect solution, but if you sort by "Recent" then you can set the order by doing something to the books in the reverse order that you want them to display.

I don't use collections for series, I just search on the series name, and that gives a list of all the books in the series sorted by most recent. Normally after I have finished reading a series they will be in reverse order, but it is easy enough to do a "Mark as finished" on each book in reverse series order, so that they end up being sorted in the correct order. Or if you haven't read the books yet, then do "Mark as unread" on each book in reverse series order.

Edit: For example see this screenshot which shows the 10-book "Martin Beck" series listed in reverse order.

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-07-2016 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Link to screenshot
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:34 AM   #13
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is that the one where if you open a book in the middle, it will go out of order...?

To my knowledge there is currently no property that would make a desired order permanent.

Other than smuggling it into the subject title author name that is.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:58 AM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Is that the one where if you open a book in the middle, it will go out of order...?
If you open a book in the middle of a series for some reason then you would need to mark the books that come before it to put it back in order, or the books after it to put it in reverse order.

In practice I only read series in order, so after finishing the books will be in reverse order. That is generally how I would leave them for the next 5-10 years until I re-read. To see the series in order, just page backwards through the list and read from bottom to top, otherwise spend 30 seconds every 5-10 years to reverse the order.

Edit: Just for the purpose of browsing a particular series in order I find the above solution good enough, it might even be workable for browsing all the series of a particular author, but what I really miss about the sort in firmware 2.3.2 was being able to browse authors in general and see all their series in order. I.e. in 2.3.2 sorting by author used series/index instead of title as a secondary sort.

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-07-2016 at 05:53 AM. Reason: ... series/index as a secondary sort.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #15
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If anyone is still interested I posted this before in Series Order thread but again here.

If you don't mind to lose the "recently read" sort order (which I have personally exactly zero use for) you can use this for series order instead by adding the following stored procedures. (The reason for *10 is that I have a few 1.5, 1.7 and suchlike, if you have 1.66 you can always make times and divide by 100 or whatever)

I have to say, it's actually brilliant to see my collections come up spontaneously in the right order without having to mangle titles and suchlike.

One caveat: If you read a book, this will of course become out of order till you restart the machine or similar.

CREATE TRIGGER Activity_Reset_Collection_1 AFTER INSERT ON Activity BEGIN UPDATE Content SET DateLastRead = date((julianday('Now')*10-SeriesNumber*10)/10) WHERE SeriesNumber not null and ContentType=6; END

CREATE TRIGGER Activity_Reset_Collection_2 AFTER UPDATE ON Activity BEGIN UPDATE Content SET DateLastRead = date((julianday('Now')*10-SeriesNumber*10)/10) WHERE SeriesNumber not null and ContentType=6; END
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote