Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
richstant
richstant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Polish not inserting metadata with kindle

I use calibre to manage my kindle. I have a load of books on the kindle, and I've just read about the 'polish' feature, which allows you to insert the book blurb & other metadata into the book, so it can be read on the kindle. I've polished the books in my library, and the blurb now appears at the beginning of the books if they're opened in calibre. I then hit 'send to device', but when I open them on the kindle, the initial blurb etc isn't there.

Is this because the books were already on the kindle, so 'send to kindle' didn't actually do anything? Or is it some limitation of kindles?

Thanks!
richstant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It should show up, assuming you have indeed sent it to the device, which should overwrite the book with the newer copy.
If the metadata used in the save template has changed, you might still have the old copy as well as the new copy.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
richstant

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It should show up, assuming you have indeed sent it to the device, which should overwrite the book with the newer copy.
If the metadata used in the save template has changed, you might still have the old copy as well as the new copy.
I don't appear to have 2 copies on the kindle....
Old 04-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #4
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
The book probably opens to the first page of the text. Try going back from the page it opens to.
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
richstant

Thanks for all the suggestions, but unfortunately none help. I've checked in calibre, and calibre agrees with the kindle device. I.e. if I open the book from the hard disk library in calibre, it has the extra pages at the beginning. If I open the book from the kindle (using calibre) it doesn't. I've even deleted the book from the kindle (using calibre), then re-sent it, but the copy on the kindle still doesn't have the extra pages (and there's only 1 copy of each book on the kindle - both when using the kindle & when using calibre to browse the kindle).

Any more ideas?
Advert
Old 04-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Did you try opening the copy on the Kindle using the calibre ebook-viewer?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote