Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #16
Withfeeling
Withfeeling began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
My guess is B&N had no interest in Bluetooth. It's supposed to be an eReader after all. The only reason that Bluetooth may well work (electrically) is that it is on the same chip and usually shares the same antenna with WiFi.
Withfeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #17
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withfeeling View Post
My guess is B&N had no interest in Bluetooth. It's supposed to be an eReader after all...
I don't know what B&N thinks regarding this issue, but I think it's worth noting that the main webpage at B&N markets the device as more than just an eReader, noting web browsing and email capabilities amongst numerous other potential applications (in its stock form).

Although they certainly don't have an obligation to provide this feature, I don't think it's a far reach to believe that someone might want to type an email on this thing with a physical keyboard or even listen to Pandora with a bluetooth headset while exercising.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #18
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I think bluetooth actually only uses a fraction of the power required for the 802.11.
I'm not sure, but if it's similar to mobile phones then that's not the case. My current HTC EVO lasts about 30% longer with BT turned off. With previous phones, I could get a good 20-30% more charge. Of course, all of these are smartphones which in itself already sucks power faster than Dracula on a hemophiliac.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #19
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Just do a google search for "bluetooth vs. wifi power"
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote