Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-14-2021, 02:40 PM   #1
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Bulk renaming files

Hi Kovid,

When renaming multiple files on the Editor, it throws an error if some of the files has the same name as before. Can't calibre just ignore this?

Example:

Original:
Code:
file001.html
file003.html
file003a.html
file004.html
file008.hmtl
After renaming:
Code:
file001.html
file002.html
file003.html
file004.html
file005.hmtl
The 4th file has the same name before and after, which causes calibre not renaming any file.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:28 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
Hi Kovid,

When renaming multiple files on the Editor, it throws an error if some of the files has the same name as before. Can't calibre just ignore this?

Example:

Original:
Code:
file001.html
file003.html
file003a.html
file004.html
file008.hmtl
After renaming:
Code:
file001.html
file002.html
file003.html
file004.html
file005.hmtl
The 4th file has the same name before and after, which causes calibre not renaming any file.
I tend to do a bulk rename in two steps. Using your file names, I would rename them to refilexxx.html and then to filexxx.html. This avoids the probability of ending up with files named out of order.
Code:
file001.html
file002.html
file004.html
file003.html
file005.html
file006.hmtl
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2021, 10:50 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Because it doesnt know ifthe name conflict is ok or accidental.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #4
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I tend to do a bulk rename in two steps. Using your file names, I would rename them to refilexxx.html and then to filexxx.html. This avoids the probability of ending up with files named out of order.
I also have to use a two steps process. For me, this is really unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Because it doesnt know ifthe name conflict is ok or accidental.
Well, let's think about the process:

1) User selects all the files he wants renamed
2) Then, the user explicitly tell the Editor to rename then (right-clicking and choosing this option)
3) A window pops-up and he choose the prefix and starting number
4) Only then the renaming occurs

Is this possible to happen accidentally? I wonder how the user could not mean all the files to be renamed.

Maybe, a confirmation dialog could be added in case of identical names appearing.

Last edited by thiago.eec; 01-15-2021 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:31 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
I also have to use a two steps process. For me, this is really unnecessary.
To you it may be unnecessary. To the operating system, having two files with the same name in the same directory is going to be an issue so renaming a file to the name of an existing file in the same directory is not going to fly.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2021, 08:07 PM   #6
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
To you it may be unnecessary. To the operating system, having two files with the same name in the same directory is going to be an issue so renaming a file to the name of an existing file in the same directory is not going to fly.
About the existence of another file with the same name in the same directory, you are absolutely right. The code I proposed would not work, because of that.

Now, about the original question, I think you've got me wrong. What I was suggesting is that calibre could handle this, instead of the user having to do it manually, renaming twice. As I said on my last reply, I don't think the user would rename it accidentally, so calibre could aloud it.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:21 PM   #7
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
I think it can't be done accidentally. Even if it is the case, it can be undone easily.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:03 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The renaming doesnt happen accidentally, obviously. The *name conflict* could happen accidentally, i.e. the user may not realize that his or her new naming scheme is conflicting with existing file names.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote