Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
Open Window
Open Window began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Developing Apps

Hi, I am very excited to find this forum. I must point out I am not a coder/developer so my questions might be a little shambolic but hopefully not in the wrong place

I probably got one of the first iliads shipped to Ireland I guess (ordered it the 2nd day of release) so far I am impressed and delighted.

My original intention was to use it as a diary & daily planner. I alread have a motioncomputing tablet PC, but the iliad is something special compared to this. However the right app is not available.

So Is there any possibility that people would be interested in coding a simple diary/planner with calendar/scheduler with dynamic info processing.

If you are familiar with franklincovey, something along the lines but simpler and more efficient.

Taking it step further than a paper diary you have all the reminder/alert functions the digital platform can give with the ability to have action lists move automatically if not completed. Create projects step and things like that, but be completely user configurable.

I see down the road that such an simple but powerful app would come pre installed with every Iliad in future. That would be great make it so appealing.

I rally at the chance of breaking from froma M$ dominated world. Lets hope the iliad sees a new form of intelligent digital assistants.

So I hope I am in the right place.

I left the following message on the irex forum,

Quote:
Yes a Diary & daily Planner would be great.

With the new PDF/scribble I have been thinking in theory you can create one identical to the paper version versionbut the true power is to have you action lists automatically fowarded dynamically to the next day so you can keep track of whats done and what you still have to do. Set reminder, recurring reminders, alerts, to emails, to-call, to-write, you know really customise your to-do work flow and create a complete tracking system for all the info in your life (in the vein of "Getting Things Done" http://www.davidco.com/ for the iliad.)

Can a 3rd party piece of software be developed for this?

Would anyone be interested in developing??

I am trialing Franklin Covey on my motion tablet PC but I really think the iliad is best suited for what I really want, with its long battery life & e-ink e-paper display its perfect!

I would love a dynamic planner that could be customised to suite data processing needs so you could create defined info-flows & sign off stages. Helpign also to track defined workflows.

So tell me what is the story with developing simple apps for the illiad so it becomes the most powerful digital filo-fax/PDA/diary/to-do list on the planet?

How can we go about this independently?

http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.p...ht=open+window
Cheers Open Window.
Open Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
My advice: look around at sourceforge.net and find an open source app for Linux that seems to do what you want, and post the link here. Someone with the necessary skills is more likely to port it that way.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2006, 09:42 AM   #3
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
I think having PIM apps would be ideal!
Using the eink display would make PIM apps really stand out and be usable in *all* normal conditions where PIM apps are needed. I mean, who needs to check his schedule in the dark anyway? Who wants to enter a person's contact in the dark? ... ok, let's not get there ...

So I think PIM apps for eink readers would give strength to these readers.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing that's really helpful about the Palm as a PIM is that it can synchronize with desktop based systems, or more to the point, server based systems. In particular, I can sync my calendar with a couple of different server-based calendar apps, so the rest of my work group can see when I'm busy, and I have an up-to-date copy of my work calendar with me when I'm at the dentist making my next appointment, etc.

I'm not sure the iLiad would ever replace my Palm for the latter purpose, but it would be nice if it could also synchronize so I could have my calendar and other info on it. I haven't looked at open-source Linux apps to see if there's one that does this. My employer uses outlook for calendering, so that's what I'd need to sync with.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
gpe calendar is not bad. But not good neither. As you say, the key is sincronisation across systems (including google calendar! )
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

If it could sync with Outlook AND Google, that would be excellent, because then my husband could see my work schedule when he's checking to see if I'm available for school appointments, etc.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:14 PM   #7
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

My vote is for iCal - that's the format my calendar uses - Lightning for Thunderbird.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I would like some PIM apps as well. The thing is though that most of time unless I am planning on using it for a while I am a little loathe to turn on the iLiad because of the PAINFULLY LONG BOOT TIME!

That is probably one of the reasons that the Palm will not easily be replaced by the iLiad.

I could live with the longer screen refreshes (other than when initially opening PDF's) if only the initial boot was not so long.

What I would really like (dreaming here) is a Palm like device with a form factor close to or better than the iLiad with the long battery life of a top flight e-ink device, great reader support with full on support for all types of document formats, with a color screen, and the speed of the Palm. That way I could just carry that device versus my Palm and the iLiad. What do you think, 10 years away?

I still like the iLiad, but I am looking forward to seeing it fully up and running soon.

Patience is a virtue.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #9
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@firekat

apart from the colour, I agree with your wishes. I don't think it's 10 years away, more like 1 yeear if somebody starts working on it now. The technology is there, many of the things could have happened with the Iliad...if they hadn't forgotten things as elementary as suspend mode (hence the booting thing...)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:36 AM   #10
Orion
Orion began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay
My vote is for iCal - that's the format my calendar uses - Lightning for Thunderbird.
Outlook uses iCalendar as well, and since it is an official standard, I'm guessing Google calendar too.

I've been thinking about making some PIM apps, but didn't have the time yet but I've got some vacation time coming up.

Anyone interested in working together on that?

Orion
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #11
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
A release of the xCHM Viewer would be nice (I know there is a converting tool to html - but thats not the same) ... ;o)
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote