Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I want the hardware, not a proprietary software experience.
I think if the hardware was ready, they'd do it. I think they rushed the hardware design to try and beat the bigger players to market, and are finding out why this the big players take the time to do a careful design now.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #17
Wolfgan
Avid reader
Wolfgan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
I think if the hardware was ready, they'd do it. I think they rushed the hardware design to try and beat the bigger players to market, and are finding out why this the big players take the time to do a careful design now.
I don´t know if tegra 2 is produced in volume or not, but I know the software side is coming slow for sure. Take a look at tegradevelopers official forums at nvidia (http://tegradeveloper.nvidia.com/tegra/forum) and you'll see that OS support is at earlier stages, not all drivers finished and so on.
Maybe too risky to launch a product to the masses with OS at this early stage even to complain about upper level apps acting funny.

I´m too waiting for an Adam (even if there seems to be good apps for anything one can wish for, I don´t like the iPad walled garden approach), I can understand if Notion Ink decide to delay it.
Wolf.
Wolfgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #18
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

This is exactly my point, Wolf, they promised the moon and are now discovering why the major companies have H2 release dates. By the time they get it out, we'll have the major company's tablets on the market and I don't see anything exceptional or eyecatching about the Adam which would make me go for one.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #19
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I wonder if Amazon has anything up there sleeves. A new reader from them is past due, but they would of course not announce anything before it was ready. That's the problem when you're already on the market it's nearly impossible to step forward and announce future products when it will affect the current sale.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #20
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
I just want them to put the hardware together, slap a stock OS with functional hardware support on it, and ship it to me, and then let me download the whole "improved experience" when it's available.

Let me install a quick PDF viewer on it, and let me toggle the Pixel Qi's backlight. Then I'll be happy to wait the 6 months or 2 years or however long it takes Notion Ink to develop their "enhancements" that will probably be pretty poor in the end anyway. I want the hardware, not a proprietary software experience.
I can't imagine there's enough market for tech heads like you for it to be worth their while to ship it now.

It has to work well out of the box to have any chance of appealing to mainstream users. Especially when every tablet is going to be compared to the iPad and it's user interface, app selection etc.

If they launch a barebones tablet that doesn't do much of anything, it will kill their brand name as it will get terrible reviews and no one will care if they fix it in a year or whatever. You and some others would get a new piece of hardware to tinker with, but the company would probably go under and we'd never see a 2nd gen model.

Getting a first release right is key to their success.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #21
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I can't imagine there's enough market for tech heads like you for it to be worth their while to ship it now.
Yeah I know well enough. We all like to proclaim our own unique demands. You're hardly immune to the habit yourself.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #22
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah I know well enough. We all like to proclaim our own unique demands. You're hardly immune to the habit yourself.
Of course.

I wasn't knocking your comments really, just stating that it would be harmful to the company if they launched a shoddy product now.

And would be harmful to even you in the long run when there's no 2nd gen model, software updates etc. You'd get to tinker with it sooner, but be left with no future for the device, no options for repair if it breaks etc.

It's always better for companies to take their time. And this will be really true with Tablets as the iPad set that bar pretty damn high. All the bitching about closed systems, etc. aren't stuff the average Joe cares about.

Other tablets are going to be compared to the iPad based on appearance, size, weight, screen quality, how slick the OS and UI are, how well the touch works, getting 10+ hours of battery life etc.

So if any tablet wants to challenge the iPad, it will have to match or surpass those features that are looked at in the mainstream, and offer some tangible benefits over the iPad as well. Rushing something out won't due any of that.
So they need to be sure
Old 04-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #23
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Given the precedent that apple have set, if the delays are due to flash issues then it seems a little harsh to imply this product would be shoddy simply because it didn't have it.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #24
DawnFalcon
Banned

There's no reason to think it is though (or rather, not from Adobe's side). There's every reason to believe they've simply overreached, especially given their casual comments about software in the past, and what's happened to the JooJoo.

Also, see Wolfgan's comment above.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #25
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
There's so many rumours floating around about the reason for any delays with some citing the tegra2 chipset, others flash and so on, so it is tough to be sure if it is even feasible for them to release polished hardware that has had a few features pushed back to an update.

Anyway, here's hoping that by the time android tablets make it onto the market that there is actually a really good cbr/cbz reader app out.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #26
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Given the precedent that apple have set, if the delays are due to flash issues then it seems a little harsh to imply this product would be shoddy simply because it didn't have it.
True, the lack of Flash there hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would in the 10 hours or so I've played around with my girlfriend's iPad.

But as noted above, there's a lot of rumors about the reasons for the delay, and I'm skeptical that Flash is the biggest part of it.

A lot may just be having an iPad in hand and realizing they need to improve the UI etc. to compete. Or it could be the Tegra chip issues rumored some places. Who knows. But I'd be shocked if Flash was really the main reason for the delay, rather than an excuse etc.