Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 02:23 AM   #1
arekieh
Connoisseur
arekieh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 (OTW), PRS-300B (For Sale)
Similar to Wheel of Time?

Hey guys,
Any good series you guys know of similar to the wheel of time?(Im gonna read mistborn and elantris since Brandon Sanderson did Book 12 and it was good) Or something similar to inheritance?

Thanks
arekieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:19 AM   #2
Nine989
Ebook Destroyer
Nine989 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 - Kindle 2 - Kindle Dx
I don't know about inheritance, but in terms of good adult fantasy, I would recommend either the Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin or The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.

There's a very good site with a ranking of the best fantasy out there. You can use it as a recommendation guide.

http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php
Nine989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 05:03 AM   #3
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
I'm reading The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind at the moment - in quite a few places it reminds me of the Wheel of Time stuff - give it a go.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
arekieh
Connoisseur

All 3 look good lol. thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
I'm reading The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind at the moment - in quite a few places it reminds me of the Wheel of Time stuff - give it a go.
Yeah. Some people say TG ripped off the idea from Robert Jordan's WoT.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Yeah. Some people say TG ripped off the idea from Robert Jordan's WoT.
I had a slight feeling that Jordan ripped some of his ideas from George RR Martin - the use of whitecloaks, people connecting to wolves, children of the forest (very similar to Jordan's Ogre IMHO). There are a few others that have struck me. I read the first 6 books of WOT before starting on Martin's A song of fire and ice.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Blanka
Blanka began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
I will second this one, I thoroughly enjoyed this series especially the first 4 or 5 books.
Blanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
What about the original Terry, Terry Brooks (Sword of Shannara, etc.)? His fantasy novels are more along the adventure line (he admits as much himself), but they are nice and thick.

Also, other popular fantasy authors include David Eddings, Raymond Feist, David Gemmell, etc. And of course Tolkien. I've also heard really really really good things about Glen Cook, especially his Black Company series -- and his stuff is being reprinted by Night Shade. (E-book editions of some of his fantasy novels are available through Baen's Webscriptions.)

Oh, and since Robert Jordan wrote a few Conan the Barbarian stories for Tor, I'd recommend the original Conan books by Robert E. Howard. You can find some of the original stories on Project Gutenberg Australia, and they have been reprinted in both print and e-book editions.

Baen has a category for fantasy e-books:
http://www.webscription.net/c-5-fantasy.aspx

Oh, and check out some Baen fantasy on this CD, available legally:
http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/05-ScepteredIsleCD/

I hesitate to recommend Stephen R. Donaldson's "Thomas Covanent" series. I loved them, many others find them depressing and/or overwritten, and almost everyone hates Thomas Covanent himself. So be warned that you may hate them. Or at least you will hate ol' Tommy.

Edited to Add:

I asked for help in a writing chatroom and got more.
Someone else mentioned the Elric series by Michael Moorcock. The first omnibus is available for free in various editions -- Kindle, Ereader at Barnes & Noble, etc. (See thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=elric)

And the Fafhard and the Gray Mouse series by Fritz Leiber is one of the classics of the fantasy genre. Leiber is the guy who coined the term "sword and sorcery." Even better, they are available as multiformat e-books at Fictionwise. Here is the first one:
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b1...z-Leiber/?si=0

Other recommendations from the writing chat include Jack Whyte, David Farland, L. E. Modesitt, Jr., and Steven Erikson. If you want looong books and a very involved series, Erikson is your guy.

And in the "I can't believe I forgot this guy" category, what about R. A. Salvatore? My nephew adores him, especially the Drizzt books. He loves loves loves the swordplay. My nephew also likes Stephen Lawhead's fantasy. Some of their books are available in e-book format (DRM versions, however). I think one of Salvatore's books might be available in a free edition for Kindle and/or Ereader?

Can you tell I read a lot of this stuff?

Last edited by Critteranne; 12-04-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
arekieh
Connoisseur

Lol @ reading alot, i dont know too many authors, i used to read alot when i was in junior high but switched to gaming in high school then a little over a year ago.
Thanks alot for all the suggestions gonna take a while to decide what to read lol. I have 3 weeks off coming up in 1 week after exams (should be studying now), but atleast now i have alot of options .
Thanks again
Old 12-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I had a slight feeling that Jordan ripped some of his ideas from George RR Martin - the use of whitecloaks, people connecting to wolves, children of the forest (very similar to Jordan's Ogre IMHO). There are a few others that have struck me. I read the first 6 books of WOT before starting on Martin's A song of fire and ice.
What books of George RR Martin?
Old 12-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #11
arekieh
Connoisseur

I believe he was talking about his series: a song of ice and fire
Old 12-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Jordan would have a hard time ripping off a Song of Fire and Ice, considering that it was written when he had at least 10 volumes of Wheel of Time out...
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
arekieh
Connoisseur

You have it the opposite way, its the other way around, Solicitous said that Martin ripped off some idea from WoT
Old 12-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by arekieh View Post
I believe he was talking about his series: a song of ice and fire
He surely must have checked publication dates before he posted
Old 12-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #15
arekieh
Connoisseur

lolol