Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #1
crackhammer
Enthusiast
crackhammer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook touch, iPad, Xoom
Organizing my library

I am using 0.6.13 (and I am a newbie but posting only after searching through the forum)

After I import and add metadata to the books, the books are stored individually in the folders where I made a library folder.
In fact, I already have library organized in certain fashion on my HDD. All I want Calibre to do is, import that book in Calibre database and link to the book in already existing library (instead of importing the file)
Also, once cover is imported, how about renaming that file same as the name of the book?

I wonder if this is possible (if its possible, didactic instructions on working it out are most welcome)

Many thanks.
crackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I wish Kovid would implement this just to end the questions about it :/

To answer yours, no, this is currently not possible. Calibre uses its own organisation scheme.
See this FAQ.

Last edited by acidzebra; 09-22-2009 at 06:17 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
See above. (thanks AZ!). It would be nice to have folders, but I don't like the linking idea. Too many issues that way unfortunately. It's like those damn symbolic links in UNIX!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
crackhammer
Enthusiast

Fine, if thats what the author of this program prefers. Now what I need to know is if I can have about 10000 folders in one windows folder, as I have 7000+ files at the moment. (currently using XP SP3 but will move to Windows 7 eventually)
Old 09-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhammer View Post
Fine, if thats what the author of this program prefers. Now what I need to know is if I can have about 10000 folders in one windows folder, as I have 7000+ files at the moment. (currently using XP SP3 but will move to Windows 7 eventually)

Yes, but it definitely slows things down.
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
crackhammer
Enthusiast

Can't help. I guess, I can not get best of all the worlds
Old 09-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhammer View Post
Can't help. I guess, I can not get best of all the worlds
I have a production process that stores message files in directories on a daily basis -- 60,000 or so per day.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ticket/3208

That will be merged into calibre, once the db backend re-organization is done.

Incidentally, I know XP has problems with directories with large numbers of nodes, does atht still persist with vista and 7?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
kennyc

My reference was to XP, I don't know about vista or 7.