Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
mgans
mgans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo A1
Can not download in browser via wifi

I have an issue downloading larger files on my Kobo Aura One via wifi in the browser.
Downloading my newspaper in epub format from the website or larger epubs via the content server from Calibre isn't possible.
When I click a download link in the browser, it asks to download a file.
By clicking "Continue" it says "Downloading..." but nothing happens.
I can only cancel the download.
When the Kobo is linked to the pc via USB I can see that only an empty file is created.

I didn't had this issue in the beginning, but since one of the firmware updates it's like this.
And downloading a small epub (< 1 Mb) isn't a problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and knows a solution?
Old 04-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's a known issue. I forget though if it's fixed in the newest f/w
Advert
Old 04-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
There was a recent issue with larger downloads (maybe >1.3 Mb or so IIRC) being broken in a newer firmware. I know Kobo are aware of it and I can't remember if it has been fixed in the most recent firmware or not since I don't use that function. You could try sideloading the most recent if you're not on it. Kobo staggers the rollout of new firmware so even if your device isn't finding a new firmware on sync there might be a newer version (see the Kobo Developers sub-forum at the top of the Kobo forum for links/instructions -- it's very easy to do even if you're not very techy). Otherwise do a search of the forum and there'll be some comments as to whether it's been fixed yet or not.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@mgans: That's a little different to the report I've seen for that bug. They start downloading, but stop at about 2MB. Anything smaller than this will download properly. Anything larger will appear to stop at 2MB and eventually show a finished message, but an empty file will be created. This only started happening fairly recently.

There is another problem that occurs if you cancel the download. In this case, any later attempt to do a download will do nothing until you restart the browser. This has been a bug for a long time.

Kobo know about both problems, but, there hasn't been any fixes released yet.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #5
Dino84
Connoisseur
Dino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One
I think I just had this issue aswell, with a 1.66 MB epub
Advert
Old 04-03-2017, 06:08 AM   #6
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
The issue has been discussed in a previous thread. Different users have been reporting different limits in relation to the maximum size they can download.

Kobo do not have a very good track record when it comes to fixing bugs and regressions in the web browser, but their reply to my email suggested that they intend to fix this at some stage.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
mgans

Thanks a lot for the info! I didn't knew it's a known issue. I hope it will be solved soon, because I want to do every morning a quick download of my newspaper in epub without connecting the Kobo to a computer. For now I will downgrade the firmware.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #8
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Me too 200kb pdf

Sent from my XT1527 using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 11:23 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It was 2MB for me the other day. I had to edit the epub size to get it to work. I hope they fix it soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2017, 12:22 AM   #10
Dino84
Connoisseur
Dino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One
I cant download anything via the beta browser. The loading 'wheel' starts and stops. Nothing downloaded. Size doesnt seem to be the issue here for me.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:47 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino84 View Post
I cant download anything via the beta browser. The loading 'wheel' starts and stops. Nothing downloaded. Size doesnt seem to be the issue here for me.
Dropbox? Or another service?

Sent from my XT1528
Old 04-05-2017, 02:01 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino84 View Post
Are you sure you aren't hitting the second problem I mentioned? If you tap the link but hit cancel when the prompt is displayed, nothing happens when you try any link. You have to restart the browser to get downloading working again.

Also, it will only download files that the device can read. You can download an epub or CBR/CBZ, but it won't download a DOC or a plain zip file. I don't remember what happens when you try this.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #13
mgans

Is this problem of not downloading larger files via wifi in the browser, solved in the new FW: 4.3.9084?
I'm now using FW 4.0.7523 because that's the last version where it works correctly.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgans View Post
Is this problem of not downloading larger files via wifi in the browser, solved in the new FW: 4.3.9084?
I'm now using FW 4.0.7523 because that's the last version where it works correctly.
Unfortunately not.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #15
mgans

Annoying...
I will stay at FW 4.0.7523.
Thanks for checking!
Closed Thread

Tags
browse, dowloading, kobo a1