Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-19-2017, 01:35 AM   #1
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
epub3 to epub2

Is there a reliable way to convert epub3 to epub2?

I know that information may theoretically be lost; I'm fine with that.

Sigil acts weirdly in some files that have epub3 features. And if I do epubcheck it spews out hundreds of errors, though the file may display fine in practice, making it useless to diagnose real problems.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:33 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Is there a reliable way to convert epub3 to epub2?
I know that information may theoretically be lost; I'm fine with that.
You could do an epub-to-epub conversion with Calibre, which will automatically convert epub3 books to epub2 books.
However, this process will add Calibre styles and metadata.

Quote:
Sigil acts weirdly in some files that have epub3 features.
I never had any problems with epub3 books. What specific problems did you encounter?
(It'd help KevinH and DiapDealer to fix these problems, if you sent them one of these books via PM.)

Quote:
And if I do epubcheck it spews out hundreds of errors, though the file may display fine in practice, making it useless to diagnose real problems.
If you want to edit an epub3 book that someone has accidentally saved as an epub2 book, exporting it as an epub3 book with Sigil will usually fix most of these errors.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If an EPUB3 open in Sigil generates EpubCheck errors, I can assure you that those errors are "real problems". EPUB3s do not inherently generate any more EpubCheck errors than EPUB2s do.

And yes, we very much would like to know of any "weird" Sigil behavior when working with EPUB3s. I work nearly exclusively with EPUB3, and it works as it's designed for me. If there are problems, we'd like a chance to fix them.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-19-2017 at 06:54 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And yes, we very much would like to know of any "weird" Sigil behavior when working with EPUB3s. I work nearly exclusively with EPUB3, and it works as it's designed for me. If there are problems, we'd like a chance to fix them.
Absolutely! Please let us know how you think Sigil is acting weird with epub3.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #5
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry for not checking back earlier.

I may be wrong about it being epub3 features that were the problem.

I'll make some notes on the "weirdness" next time it happens -- those I had issues with are now fixed after I stripped out the codes manually.

I'll try Calibre conversion too. I have found it useful before to regularise ePubs that were valid but painful to edit.
Advert
Old 08-03-2017, 09:12 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
At it's very basic level you can change an ePub3 to ePub2 by manually editing the .opf file (not using Sigil...) to change "<package version="3.0" ..." to "<package version="2.0"... "

Then you can use Sigil to remove any unwanted tags or nav files.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:11 AM   #7
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Then you can use Sigil to remove any unwanted tags or nav files.
Yes. Which can take a LONG time. Which is why I want a more automated method.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:49 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I frequently convert ePub 3 to ePub 2. It doesn't take all that long.

You could use the TagMechanic plugin to help automate removing of tags you don't want in ePub 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:57 PM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
A few basic regex replaces....takes only a few minutes.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:04 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

grouped Saved searches are your friend
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:08 AM   #11
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:

Once you work out what needs be done. Interpreting obscure error messages, looking up specs, etc, etc. Anyway, I do know how to do it manually. Same as I know how to do long division of 20 digit numbers. Just would prefer to take a shortcut.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:06 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Once you work out what needs be done. Interpreting obscure error messages, looking up specs, etc, etc. Anyway, I do know how to do it manually. Same as I know how to do long division of 20 digit numbers. Just would prefer to take a shortcut.
Read post #8 in this thread and get the plugin mentioned. That will help automate some things that may need to be done in the conversion from ePub 3 to ePub 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote