Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-19-2008, 02:20 AM   #1
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Different fonts in the same document

Is it possible? I tried mobi and html but to no avail.

DrS

p.s. Please don't say pdf
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't believe that it can be done. The idea of Mobi is that you allow the user to select the font that they wish to use, rather than imposing a font on them. You can change the "style" and size of the font, but not the basic font.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
Is it possible?
It is supposed to be possible, but specifying fonts inside a MOBI file is discouraged by MobiPocket because this is difficult to do well when targeting a wide range of devices. What is supposed to work is things like:

Code:
<style type="text/css">
p {
   font-family: "Palatino Linotype", "Times New Roman", Verdana;
}
.chinese {
   font-family: "Arial Unicode MS";
}
</style>
The above is from Font, style bug.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why cannot Mobipocket fix things so they work? I would rather sacrifice a little speed in jumping ahead/back then to have these bugs because they don't want to change how poorly moving ahead/back works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is supposed to be possible, but specifying fonts inside a MOBI file is discouraged by MobiPocket because this is difficult to do well when targeting a wide range of devices. What is supposed to work is things like:

Code:
<style type="text/css">
p {
   font-family: "Palatino Linotype", "Times New Roman", Verdana;
}
.chinese {
   font-family: "Arial Unicode MS";
}
</style>
The above is from Font, style bug.
Any hint on how can I get something like this to work without resorting to manual html editing?

DrS
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In my experience, Vesper, you have to manually edit the HTML to get decent Mobi books. How do you put in the "tags" for "Guide" items, for example, otherwise? What Mobi creation tools are you using at present?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:18 AM   #7
Vesper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In my experience, Vesper, you have to manually edit the HTML to get decent Mobi books. How do you put in the "tags" for "Guide" items, for example, otherwise? What Mobi creation tools are you using at present?
Ummm... guides? tags? I'm using plain old mobipocket creator. Nothing fancy - just throw the document in, usually in word format and click on compile.

Why word? well, I managed to convert some rather complicated pdfs and realized word is the only way to go for getting it right the way I want it to mobi... Going the html way is too much of a hassle...

DrS
Old 06-20-2008, 06:02 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

So you're not bothered about getting working navigation links in Mobi Reader? "Table of Contents" - that kind of thing? You really need to put tags into the HTML for that kind of stuff. Mobi books are HTML with a few "custom" tags, in a wrapper. You need to be comfortable working in HTML in order to get the most out of them.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:58 AM   #9
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
Any hint on how can I get something like this to work without resorting to manual html editing?

DrS
Sorry. The Cybook won't show different fonts in the same document. Not even in html. I made a test document a while ago which shows different fonts in a web browser (and even in Mobipocket Reader on my PC if I remember correctly) but not in my Cybook. Alas.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Alas.
Oh, I don't know. For the most part, I'm glad that the Cybook overrides fonts that may be specified in the file. If it didn't do so, I would definitely want a user-specified option to make this happen.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote