Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo aura
Will the footer issue ever be fixed?

I have seen various threads which explain why the footer issue exists on the Kobo Aura (huge footer often losing a large proportion of the screen)

Do you think that Kobo will ever fix this, personally I find it damn annoying and will be the reason I would probably switch back to kindle in the future. I just get the sense vs my old PW that I am not getting so many words per page.
neil74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I buy DRM free ebooks, usually mobi as I have a Paperwhite and I convert them into ePub. I found some instructions on a blog about fixing the footer problem so I saved them into preferences. With the same font and size I get 20 lines of text on a Kobo to 22 on the Paperwhite

Edited to say I convert in Calibre

Last edited by Josieb1; 11-27-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Kasper Hviid
Zealot
Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Me, I think book pages looks butt-ugly without header/footer. This is most likely the reason why any printed book in existence have them. I would love to be able able to turn the header back on.

So like neil74, I would also very much like to be able to turn header/footer on or off ...
Kasper Hviid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil74 View Post
I have seen various threads which explain why the footer issue exists on the Kobo Aura (huge footer often losing a large proportion of the screen)

Do you think that Kobo will ever fix this, personally I find it damn annoying and will be the reason I would probably switch back to kindle in the future. I just get the sense vs my old PW that I am not getting so many words per page.
The answer is likely to be never. But maybe one day Kobo will surpise us all…
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper Hviid View Post
Me, I think book pages looks butt-ugly without header/footer. This is most likely the reason why any printed book in existence have them. I would love to be able able to turn the header back on.

I just went through some of my pbooks. Some of them don't have headers/footers (although they all have some white space at the top/bottom). I guess they don't exist?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Kasper Hviid
Zealot
Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@John F: Don't worry, your books does exist - I just understand the terms footer/header differently. In my mind, 'footer' is the white space at the bottom, regardless whether it contains a page number. So what I meant was that pages looks butt-ugly without any white-space above and below the text.
Kasper Hviid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper Hviid View Post
In my mind, 'footer' is the white space at the bottom, regardless whether it contains a page number. So what I meant was that pages looks butt-ugly without any white-space above and below the text.
I can agree with that, but for me 3-5mm is plenty of space at the top and bottom which then leaves a good sized area for the most important part, the text.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil74 View Post

No they won't because for them it's a feature, not an issue.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I buy DRM free ebooks, usually mobi as I have a Paperwhite and I convert them into ePub. I found some instructions on a blog about fixing the footer problem so I saved them into preferences. With the same font and size I get 20 lines of text on a Kobo to 22 on the Paperwhite

Edited to say I convert in Calibre
What settings do you use in Calibre to get rid of the footer gap ?
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Do you know about the patcher? This will get rid of the footer and works well, although I would prefer Kobo to provide an official option to reduce/remove the footer.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
What settings do you use in Calibre to get rid of the footer gap ?
I used the instructions on this blog http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-wasted-space/

Specifically this bit

- After importing the ebooks into Calibre, select the ones you want to modify and choose “Convert books”.

- Make sure the output format is ePub.

- Click on the “Look & Feel” tab. Enter the following code into the Extra CSS box:

body {orphans: 0; widows: 0}

- You can check the box to remove spaces between paragraphs too.

- There’s also the option to remove existing CSS properties for fonts, margins, and padding under “Filter Style Information”.

- You can choose to set default line spacing to 0% and margins to 0 pt as well.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Do you know about the patcher? This will get rid of the footer and works well, although I would prefer Kobo to provide an official option to reduce/remove the footer.
I had read about the patcher but as my Kobo is less than two weeks ago I don't want to play with the software, I'd rather just convert the epubs myself.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I had read about the patcher but as my Kobo is less than two weeks ago I don't want to play with the software, I'd rather just convert the epubs myself.
The patcher has the advantage that you can reduce the footer from around 1cm to around 5mm. This does have the disadvantage that when you tap on the center of the screen and the menu pops up, the last 2-3 lines on the screen get covered making it hard to select words in that area.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Just FYI for Kobo/calibre users...

There is no need to convert epub-to-epub to set widows/orphans to zero. See this post for details.

It should work equally well for all Kobo devices.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Duplicate post