Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
etiennepb
etiennepb began at the beginning.

Device: Irex iliad
What do you guys think

Hey all. I'm looking at picking up an Iliad. Ones come up and I wanted some opinions. I've seen some pics and it has some line out issues. I've read that the display controller can be replaced. Is this a pricey repair. Also it can't run off the battery. I've read that you can do a battery replacement on your own for relatively cheap. The unit is going for 200$. Is this a worthwhile investment for my first ereader.
Cheers,
Etienne
etiennepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
IIRC, replacing a defective e-ink screen of iLiad will cost about 300 or 350 USD. If you have to pay for a replacemnt of screen, this used iLiad will cost at least 500 USD.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
etiennepb

So a repair is pretty much out of the question for me. Attached is an image of the aforementioned illiad. Will it get any worse than this?
Cheers,
Etienne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Iliad.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	37776  
Old 10-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Wow, I don't think I've seen that many line out errors on one device before. Personally, I would probably stay away from this device. I don't know if it will get worse or not, but something seems to be wrong that is causing that many problems, not to mention why it won't run off of the battery anymore. You may end up needing some very expensive repairs down the road that will cost you a lot more than a "working" used iLiad.

IMO, I would think about a DR800 as well. A new one is going to be in that same price range, and will come with a warranty (not to mention firmware updates, which the iLiads no longer get).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
devant
devant began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
I think it totally depends on what you are going to be using it for. If it's going to be for technical papers with lots of small fonts, probably not the best option but if you are thinking of transitioning into other readers it could be fine.

just my 2 cents.
devant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
etiennepb

Thanks for alll the input guys. I'm thinking now that maybe I'll wait abit. I'm hoping the nook and the DR800 will create some competition and bring the prices down a bit.
Cheers,
Etienne
Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I haven't heard anything official, but I would not be surprised if iRex discontinues the iLiad sometime after the DR800 starts shipping to customers. That may cause used prices on iLiads to go down as well.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote