Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
nook2
nook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
What should I read with my wife?

So, my wife and I both recently got back into reading thanks to our Nooks. I seem to get through books more quickly than she does but I thought it might be fun to have a little two person book club.

Any recommendations for series or individual books for husband and wife?

We've read The Hunger Games Trilogy already.

Nothing too sappy like The Notebook or anything from Sparks come to think of it. I was thinking A Game of Thrones but I was told it's got gratuitous rape and violence that my wife won't appreciate.

Another series we're looking at is The Sword of Truth Series from Terry Goodkind.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
nook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool harry dresden

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook2 View Post
So, my wife and I both recently got back into reading thanks to our Nooks. I seem to get through books more quickly than she does but I thought it might be fun to have a little two person book club.

Any recommendations for series or individual books for husband and wife?

We've read The Hunger Games Trilogy already.

Nothing too sappy like The Notebook or anything from Sparks come to think of it. I was thinking A Game of Thrones but I was told it's got gratuitous rape and violence that my wife won't appreciate.

Another series we're looking at is The Sword of Truth Series from Terry Goodkind.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
try the dresden files
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Lightbulb

I'm really enjoying Michelle Sagara's Chronicles of Elantra (first book Cast in Shadow). Not sappy. Only the slightest hint of a romance. There is an underlying story of great violence in the main character's past, although I don't remember it ever being shown, only told about. But I've been reading these as they came out, and that bit of backstory came out fairly early in the series, so I could be wrong. It could definitely hit certain people's hot buttons of things they don't want to read about. Details behind the spoiler tag:

Spoiler:
The main character is basically a grown-up street rat. In her earlier years on the street, she lived with an older boy and two very young children. The boy knew he couldn't provide enough sustenance and safe living for all four, and his loyalties are first with himself and the main character, so he kills the children. Harsh reality of life - NOT described gratuitously IMO. Like I said, I don't remember it being shown, but in the main character's retelling of the episode...although I might have forgotten if it was shown.

Despite the harsh childhood episode, there's an underlying humor in the stories.

This is a fantasy series, but it's not epic fantasy. It's not "urban fantasy" either. I really don't know what to call it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:02 AM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Whatever your wife says you're going to read and enjoy. What option do you have?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
My wife and I both enjoyed greatly Shayne Parkinson's series that begins with the free Sentence of Marriage, which is historical fiction, and Vicki Tyley's various mysteries. We also enjoyed Jana DeLeon's Mudbug series. Another excellent mystery author is L.J. Sellers.

If you both like fantasy, try the In Her Name series by Michael Hicks and Tracy Falbe's fantasy books.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan books. And... hm... I don't know, do guys like Anne McCaffrey? Her Pern books are quite good.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Kama Sutra?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've told this story before at MR. When Tim and I were dating, we were dirt poor and in love. On clear cold nights, we would pack his truck with some snacks and our telescope, then head for a dark open field. We would snuggle together for warmth, look at the stars, and listen to the whole 9 book series on tape. Sword and scorcery adventures, the heavens above, and snuggling with each other. It was crazy romantic.

The books were the Amber series by Roger Zelazny.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
That is very romantic DixieGal!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Try the first "Spellman Files" about a family-run detective agency - dysfunctional and fun.

Mercedies Lacky has a series based on classic fairy tales that are fun and light. I think it is part of the "Thousand Kingdoms" series.

Janet Evanovich has a bunch of Stephanie Plum novels that are silly but fun and a little hot. Good for couples.

"Why my third husband will be a dog" is a hoot. I got it on audio-book for a long drive and my family loved it (wife and adult daughter). Lisa Scotolline.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #11
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
How about the Pillar of the Earth series by Ken Follett?
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I've told this story before at MR. When Tim and I were dating, we were dirt poor and in love. On clear cold nights, we would pack his truck with some snacks and our telescope, then head for a dark open field. We would snuggle together for warmth, look at the stars, and listen to the whole 9 book series on tape. Sword and scorcery adventures, the heavens above, and snuggling with each other. It was crazy romantic.

The books were the Amber series by Roger Zelazny.
My husband and I read that series together, too

Being in love makes being dirt poor kind of fun at times, I've found (over many years of being dirt poor with my beloved )
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:32 AM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Being in love makes being dirt poor kind of fun at times, I've found (over many years of being dirt poor with my beloved )
Making things fun keeps you in love perhaps. Good for you on doing it

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #14
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
You might enjoy Divergent by Veronica Roth (if you liked the Hunger Games).
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #15
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Whatever your wife says you're going to read and enjoy. What option do you have?

Lol ... this reminds me of a conversation my husband and I had recently, where I asked him to help me with something and, after much back-and-forth, he eventually grumbled "do I have a choice?". I just did a mental eye-roll and thought "duh"

I wish my husband and I would read together but that has about a snowball's chance in ..., well, you get the picture. He's a vehement non-reader, and only reads schematics/manuals etc related to his work. It makes me sad
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recommendation, wife