Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
waqqas31
waqqas31 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wi-Fi (v3?)
Using a Kindle in Pakistan (Unsupported). Will this method work?

Hi Everyone,

I have never owned/touched/seen a Kindle, but I want to get one for a friend in Pakistan.

After reading around the boards a bit, I gather that this approach may work, convoluted as it may seem. Please let me know if I'm missing anything.

Facts/Assumptions/Expectations:

1. I already have .CA and .COM Amazon accounts, but only have Canadian credit cards.
2. I purchase the Wi-fi only Kindle and have it shipped to me in Canada.
3. On arrival, it is already registered to me.
4. I can log into the Amazon.COM Kindle Store and purchase books, avoiding the $2 surcharge, and should change my country setting to "United States" should this not work as expected.

Now, for the questions:

Q1: I only want to download my purchases and transfer them via USB. Can I purchase and download purchased content regardless of where I am (e.g. Pakistan) or how long after the purchase date I try?
Q2: Is my "purchase history" and "download history" maintained and can I re-download from that list as many times as I want?
Q3: Do the free books/titles on the Kindle US Store require a credit card to be on file?
Q4: Does the gift card "trick" still work and are there any scenarios that would require it that have not already been covered by the above?

I appreciate the help!

Waqqas
waqqas31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
The only thing I know for sure is the answer to Q3. Amazon does save your downloads, free and otherwise, on your account. You can download them as many times as you like.

For the other questions, you may find some answers on these threads.

Thread 1 Thread 2

Good luck! Hope it all works out for you.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
waqqas31
waqqas31 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wi-Fi (v3?)
Thanks for the tips and links. I will post back with results (which might take a couple weeks).
waqqas31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
There was a recent thread with a new member from Egypt with the same questions as you asked. I asked him to post his solution into our wiki in his native language. Please do the same for your solution after we help you solve your problem.

I am happy that books are getting into formerly restricted areas.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote