Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #1
Baerli84
Suche einen E-Reader...
Baerli84 began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Which E-Reader to buy with limited budget?

Hi everyone
I am new to the forum and would like some advice on buying my first e-reader. I know a little bit about the products, but it is difficult to chose as there are so many...
I have a budget of €150-160 and want a reader with a good screen.

I am thinking of either a Elyricon ebx-600, Bebook club or Icarus go. Anyone have some experience with these products and know a good place to buy them?

Baerli
Baerli84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It would help if you let people know what you want outside of a good screen. How are you going to be using it?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ….

One link in my signature may help you out .... it goes to a matrix on our Wiki ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:56 AM   #4
DarthMaier
DarthMaier began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Sense
I myself am using a Icarus sense, which is great but a bit expensive probably for you (it has touchscreen and WiFi). You could try the cheaper model Icarus Go. It is about €149 and is a very basic reader but the screen is very good. Some friends of mine bought one.

DM
DarthMaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:32 AM   #5
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Hi! If I were you I would look for something in ebay. You can get some good old Sony prs-505 or other models for a good price. Just don't forget to check referals and you should be good.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
There is also the 'flea market' on Mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
alan ryker
alan ryker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Droid
If a good screen is your primary requirement, you need pearl e-ink. Last I heard (and I'm sure someone will correct me quickly if I'm wrong), only the kindle 3 and a sony have them. The contrast is really good on these screens, I think as good as newsprint.
alan ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Oh dear - I misread this in the topic list as, "Which E-Reader to bury with...."
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
"Which E-Reader to bury with...."
If you ever feel like taking up cozy mystery writing, I think you have your gimmick niche!

But now you'll have to think up the cutesy pun-filled titles.

How to Kindle a Cadaver? Don't Judge a Nook by its Corpses? A PocketBook Full of Rye*?

* Or maybe And Then There Were Nooks. Or The Kobo Crack'd From Side to Side.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd go with the Kindle 3 with Wi-Fi. I just bought one the other day at amazon for $139.00 which is a fairly good price I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
The Sony PRS-350 or the Kindle 3 would be my top suggestions for you. The Pearl screen is beautiful. The Sony also has a built in English-German, German-English dictionary (I noticed that you speak German), as well as 10 others. The Kindle (the cheaper model) has Wi-fi (the more expensive model has 3g as well).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #12
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
The Sony PRS-350 or the Kindle 3 would be my top suggestions for you. The Pearl screen is beautiful. The Sony also has a built in English-German, German-English dictionary (I noticed that you speak German), as well as 10 others. The Kindle (the cheaper model) has Wi-fi (the more expensive model has 3g as well).
Wow, Commissario Latinandgreek, I am impressed! Well done.

I second the 350. Or:

In case you not only speak German but live in Germany there is a wonderful reader for 99€ available. The Italica. It reads almost every fomat has a 6" display, is extremly lightweight weighing only 174 grs. , has 512 MB internal storage that is expandable via SDcard slot, plays audio files, Sudoku.

Quote:
italica opens .txt, .rtf, .pdf, .fb2, .epub, .html, and .prc files including image files such as .bmp, .jpg, and .gif. italica is embedded with Adobe® Reader® Mobile software, allowing you to read DRM protected ePUB and PDF files.

It is also able to display books in some of the world`s most popular languages including English, Deutsch, Dutch, French, Spanish, Russian, Italian and Swedish.
For TechSpecs have a look here.

Actually it is a Netronix devices as the PB 301+ and the Cybook Gen3 are. These devices are regarded as the Swiss Army Knife of readers due to their wide range of format reading and their dependability. Same is true for the Italica.

Last edited by Poppaea; 03-21-2011 at 12:58 AM. Reason: typos
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote