Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
jodykihara
Author
jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle reader for PC
Book Cover Thumbnails

Hi everyone
I've been admiring how many people's book covers look GREAT even as a thumbnail, and I was wondering how you managed to get them so sharp at such a small size?
My book cover thumbnails all look really blurry, as you'll see from my Avatar.
Any tips? What software are you using?

thank you!!!
Jody
jodykihara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
jodykihara
Author
jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Just bumping this to see if there are any responses...
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
You have to first start with a decent image, the larger the better. I'm a bit anal about how mine look so when I add books, I go back through them and check each cover out and hunt down better originals. As strictly book covers I'll resize them to a height of 500 pixels. If I'm going to use it as a screen on my Sony reader, I'll resize it to 600x800, convert to greyscale, and punch up the contrast and sharpness.

When you reduce the size, you will generally get better images if you then use the Sharpen tool that's in your graphic program of choice. Also, don't save files with a high compression. You can keep very sharp looking jpg images if you use something like 5% compression. Check how your program is savings images, at what compression.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
jodykihara
Author

GREAT this is just the kind of info I needed - thank you so much!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
Tony_A20
Enthusiast
Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 3
If you're creating your own graphics for a cover (or anything else),make sure they're created using structured vector graphics, which can be scaled to any size, and then output in the format of your choice.

Tony
Tony_A20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
jodykihara
Author

Unfortunately I can't, as the covers are all photographs. But thanks for the suggestion!
Jody
Old 04-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
You might want to start with a different cover image. Where you have placed your text is in a busy area of the photograph. Perhaps you could use more of the "sky" area and put your text there?
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote