Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Stonecoldcrb
Stonecoldcrb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Too many to count.......

Ok, and I know this has been beaten to death.

And please folks I implore you to go easy on me....lol.

I have been given numerous and varied books in PDF format. Just yest. my friend gave me the entire Star Wars collection of books in PDF format. Just for giggles I trans one to the reader and the format for margins and stuff was spot on. BUT.........the print was so small it was incredible. Now I have read about the various programs out there to make conversions and such. Is there the most idiot proof way, and I mean it, that I can just load up any of my PDF files and have them be readable. I have no clue about margin numbers blah blah, settings here, settings there. Oh god.............to load a book into some prog. push a button, have it "fixed" and load it to the Sony and off we go. I am frustrated to think that the sheer number of free books my friend has given me will sit unread because I cant seem to get them to my reader. My most sincere thanks for any directions.

Tell me there is a way, tell me I can use these PDF books. Oh please Obi-wan, you're my only hope.

Cheers.

Last edited by Stonecoldcrb; 07-05-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Stonecoldcrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecoldcrb View Post
Ok, and I know this has been beaten to death.

(sorry, couldn't resist )

I haven't used it, but a lot of folks have had good results with the Rasterfarian program (a quick forum search will turn it up for you). It does a slice-n-dice job and makes two "half-pages" out of each page.

I'm sure that others who have actually used it will be along momentarily to give you all sorts of pointers on it, but that'll get you started ... and I couldn't resist using the dead horse smilie!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2007, 12:19 AM   #3
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Sometimes you can get Book Designer to load PDF files if they aren't securely encypted? (I think) and then convert that file to Sony file... Or copy and paste to a word file and save as an RTF...

If they are encrypted as I strongly suspect they are since it sounds as if, (Forgive me if I'm wrong) your Star Wars books were probably bought by your friend and therefore illegal for you to put on your reader, in that event Book Designer wont open or convert those encrypted files.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:59 AM   #4
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I would recommed to open the Books in Acrobat Reader, and then use the "Save as text" Function. Then load the Textfile with Book Designer and save it.

Thats the way I use PDF-books on my Palm.

Best Regards

Fabian
tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:59 AM   #5
Stonecoldcrb

Ok, I guess what I shouldve asked was, if anyone knows how to convert them to a readable form, again I loaded one and it looked great.......except it was toooo small to read............. if someone knows how to convert them would you mind giving me a step by step walk thru because I am new to all this and just reading the steps would really be so helpful.

Thanks
Advert
Old 07-06-2007, 02:00 AM   #6
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
the answer was already given. use rasterfarian to get these results http://hightech.afmag.net/pdf-and-the-sony-reader.html
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:37 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Stonecoldcrb,

I don't mean to pour cold water on your enthusiasm, but please think very carefully about the legality of what you are doing.

We all want to encourage publishers to make eBooks a success, and flagrant piracy of such books is not exactly going to encourage that. If your friend has given you "the entire Star Wars collection of books in PDF format" then I am 99.9% certain that this is not legal material (but please check with your friend to make sure). These are almost without doubt either illegally scanned books, or "cracked" commercial e-Books which originally had copy protection (DRM).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
Stonecoldcrb

Thank you all for the input, I will try the Raster program.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I think I hear a Siren.. Blowing gently in the distance...
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think sirens more wail, than blow, myself ... you know, like a banshee.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 AM   #11
Stonecoldcrb

Actually, they wail, pulse and blow, it depends on the setting switch. I know they happen to be on my cruiser.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Those are the actual labels for the settings? How funny!
Old 07-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #13
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I think sirens more wail, than blow, myself ... you know, like a banshee.
Or a siren.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:12 PM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
She'd be blowing bubbles or so..... Harumph!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

That kind of Siren sings, jasonkchapman.